IGNORED

Vectrex: Mail Plane Release

Vectrexer

Vectrex Mail Plane cart recently purchased via the eBay listing 549642830355 will soon be posted as a ROM binary release on www.Vectrex.com.

The game appears to be fully playable so far. Plays to the end. Plays to the Game Over after 5 crashes. Level Maps start differently. Controls work as expected. Definitely a better copy than one I currently have, and had made the ROM dump of a few years back. Please let me know if you find any issues after the posting.

My thanks to Richard Hutchinson (www.Vectrex.biz) for supplying VecDump. VecDump provides an excellent method to retain the original cartridge state during data extraction. The the ROM is left attached to the board, and the shell is left intact as well during the process. An elegant solution for Vectrex specific game cartridge backups. Even more appreciated given that bit rot is a greater concern with older game carts using UV erasable EPROMS. These older carts (regular, fixes, and prototypes) are now well over the recommended 10 year interval for data refresh.

Public Posting: December 1, 2013 on www.Vectrex.com. Please note the currently posted ROM (MailPlane.BIN) is the broken version from my dump of previous purchase. The new playable dump from the recent purchase will be named "Mail_Plane.BIN".

My thanks to the two people who have already sent funds to assist in defraying my cost in acquiring the playable cart! Big hearts the both of you have!

• Like 7

Do let us know know if a box, cart, etc. is sold so my money can go to YOU.

I do not want to buy this if it is giving someone else the funds unless you okay it first.

You are to be commended for sharing the file first.

If you don't make more or arrange to have stuff made, I will donate because Vextrex is great and even adding a free release to my collection is worth a donation.

I wish I could edit my posts here in this thread But to continue...

A update to the Vectrex Mail Plane acquisition contributor's list.

• Lorne Allaire
  • Eugenio (TrekMD) Angueira
  • hcmffm
  • and one another person I am waiting on permission to give credit to.

Everyone in the list above was very kind to send donations in support of defraying my cost in acquiring the playable cart! Big hearts all of you have!

Many are members here on AtariAge forums, an over on Vector Gaming Forums where the main conversation on this topic has taken place.

A update to the Vectrex Mail Plane acquisition contributor's list.

• Lorne Allaire
  • Eugenio (TrekMD) Angueira]
  • Helmet Mueller (hcmffm)
  • and one another person I am waiting on permission to give credit to.
Everyone in the list above was very kind to send donations in support of defraying my cost in acquiring the playable cart! Big hearts all of you have!

Many are members here on AtariAge forums, an over on Vector Gaming Forums where the main conversation on this topic has taken place.

• 6 months later...

Thanks a ton for your efforts and generosity!

I notice the file is also on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/321427975136

The same person selling the blue cart.

And look! He has special brownies for sale too! :grin: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321427973239

Also, from time to time, there is a Mail Plane cartridge @ $50 from South America. I assume that auction is not you guys and also buying from South America is too risky in the first place!

• 1 month later...

Also, from time to time, there is a Mail Plane cartridge @ $50 from South America. I assume that auction is not you guys and also buying from South America is too risky in the first place!

This would be considered an unauthorized cartridge of Mail Plane. Madtronix sells the authorize version as a bare PCB painted blue and in the future a GCE style boxed version may be available.

At 50 bucks, you could purchase the Madtronix version, a vectrex shell from Sean Kelly or Chris Romero and make your own label with money left over.

This would be considered an unauthorized cartridge of Mail Plane. Madtronix sells the authorize version as a bare PCB painted blue and in the future a GCE style boxed version may be available.

At 50 bucks, you could purchase the Madtronix version, a vectrex shell from Sean Kelly or Chris Romero and make your own label with money left over.

yes could be but it told me he has it for years, weird... by the way, it will send me a picture tomorrow. Wait and see :)

John Donzilla told me that he had been given a complete working binary several years and you can see a dedicated cart in Martijn Van Weltings collection. There are also probably 3-4 fully working prototypes out there as well.

Thanks !

I received the picture. Is it a copy or a prototype ?

post-32817-0-65301400-1406900289_thumb.png

Edited by scalpel

It's consistent with a lot of prototypes I've seen but it's the bare PCB which really tells the story. So you'll need that picture.

You mean I need the PCB's picture ?

Do you think it's a prototype ? Really need to now, the guy is selling the cart with others games for 200 euros... I don't want to spend too much money for a simple "cart". Thanks :)