IGNORED

UK Readers: On Now: How Video Games Changes The World

snicklin

Indie Game is okay, although it does try to make heroes of the devs in a way that feels... odd.

Charlie Brooker's show was very enjoyable, it's just a shame that it was trying to cram all of video game history into a couple of hours because it glossed over machines, games and people left right and centre. A series of one hour shows would've been far better. Still, i quite like the "logic" behind having Twitter as number 1 and Dara O'Briain "dissing" the Sinclair Spectrum... win. =-)

I saw the start (will watch the rest tomorrow) a good bit of nostalgia, bet I wasn't the only one pausing it to try and make out the arcade units (did this recently in one of the Deathwish films too (3?)) bet there is a good thread somewhere... it gets me how they always seem to skip over the bit between Pong and the popular early 80s UK computers, entirely missing the Atari 2600 and 8-bit computers that could be programmed in 1979 but I guess it was a program for the UK audience :) They also have a love fest for Manic Miner but forget to mention Miner 2049er which was earlier and let's face it there's no comparison :-o NO we Atarians won't let it lie :grin:

...but I guess it was a program for the UK audience :) They also have a love fest for Manic Miner but forget to mention Miner 2049er which was earlier and let's face it there's no comparison :-o NO we Atarians won't let it lie :grin:

Considering that Matthew created MM after playing Miner 2049er they really should mention it. The producers of these things usually appear to either have a limited knowledge and/or lazy researchers or they just gloss over things that won't interest the mass audience I guess.

Considering that Matthew created MM after playing Miner 2049er they really should mention it. The producers of these things usually appear to either have a limited knowledge and/or lazy researchers or they just gloss over things that won't interest the mass audience I guess.

It was only a two hour show covering everything from Pong to GTA 5, there's always going to be holes.

Just watched it, not bad at all, I like Charlie Brooker so it was an easy watch.

Shame they had comedians that had obviously been briefed on the games they talked about and, it wasn't a recall of the times and more a read of the script. I hate that with all those C4 remember when type things, all use Z listers who pretend to know the tunes to games like it was yesterday.

Grump aside, jebus, isn't Jeff Minter looking way old and strangely looks way too formal, certainly not the nuts bloke who showed us his pre fame games at the Vic Centre in West London or the spaced out bloke sat on the floor at the Commodore shows :)

Nice selection of choices and at least with Rossy who IS and always has been a massive gamer we got a reasonable feed back although the oddly painted nails we off putting :)

Not bad but this sort of thing needs an hour show every week to do a real coverage of the days but what was seen was ok.

(No Atari..boo hoo)

• Like 1

(No Atari..boo hoo)

Did you blink?! We did get a few seconds on Koronis Rift, Ball Blazer and The Eidolon :thumbsup:

Alas Gwobby didn't make the final cut (thought they'd show it when they did the violence and gore section with the death sequences) ;-)

Edited by therealbountybob

The line drop from Narrator Charlie calling BBC owners Dicks had me in stitches,

Good to see Hovver Bovver get quality screen time surprisingly over the camels and llamas as well.

Not sure about Jonathan Ross's blue nail varnish though...

Did you blink?! We did get a few seconds on Koronis Rift, Ball Blazer and The Eidolon :thumbsup:

Alas Gwobby didn't make the final cut (thought they'd show it when they did the violence and gore section with the death sequences) ;-)

Oops, yes indeed...Senior moment..

Not sure about Jonathan Ross's blue nail varnish though...

He seems to be going through his Eddie Izzard phase again, I'd love to be a fly on the wall of his house though, Jane his wife is a fine figure of a woman and he's a rampant letch, swingers parties galore I reckon :)

Cough, and he likes Atari games...cough...safely back on topic...(actually he got an amazing collection of consoles, huge Japan freak,...)

• 2 weeks later...