IGNORED

One's hard drive won't be big enough...

Video

I said this a while back, the Xbox One's hard drive wouldn't be big enough, of course, everybody said "but it's 500GB, how much more will you need?"

At the time, I had roughly guestimated the original 500GB drive to hold roughly 25-30 games, which will probably be fine for most people. But in my case, I plan to have many more than that....

Anyhow, yeah, one of my friends got a One, and they got Ghosts as their first game for the system. They loaded it up, and it took 49GB of data, a full 10% of that hard drive for one game....and it's not even gotten the bloated constant updates or extra maps yet.

That kind of scares me, especially since the games have to be iinstalled to even play them...but the thing that gets me is I have ghost for the 360, and it was only a little over 2GB for the whole thing...what gives? I'm sorry, but I doubt there's THAT much need for THAT much more information....besides, isn't the Xbox one game locked at 720P? It's not even full resolution.

Anyhow, here's hoping that you can use external HDD to install games to, other wise, people are going to choke out of space very quickly.

Oh yeah, I don't really feel like opening another post for it, but...it also looks like Microsoft went through with the $50 price cap on (xbox one) games. At least for the moment. Every one of them is $50 now that I've seen. Here's hoping they keep that up, especially if your going to be expected to pony up another $50 to unlock the rest of the game later on anyways.

Edited by Video

I spoke up about this a while back here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/218425-ps4xbox-one-hard-drive-upgrades/

Both consoles don't have enough space. With the PS4 you can just swap out the internal drive. (Externals not supported)

On the Xbox One you'll have to wait until external drives are supported to install games to etc. I'm sure it will be soon if not already.

It's got USB 3.0 but external drives for me are a bit of an annoyance.

In the post I made above it shows that the internal drives are standard drives found on PC's.

Edited by cimerians

especially if your going to be expected to pony up another $50 to unlock the rest of the game later on anyways.

Yes, this will always be around. I'm 50/50 with this stuff. Some of it is good, some bad most is optional.

I don't like the way it was handled by some games\publishers (ex. Arkham City). Japanese companies are known for really dishing out gobs of DLC.

Waiting around for Game of the Year editions is probably the best solution for some games.

Welcome to upgrade hell.

Keeping games installed isn't mandatory, so another option is to just delete the install of games you're not currently playing. If you decide in the future you want to play them again, take the few minutes and reinstall. It's hardly any type of hell. Sometimes you just have to outsmart the technology.

• Like 1

Keeping games installed isn't mandatory, so another option is to just delete the install of games you're not currently playing. If you decide in the future you want to play them again, take the few minutes and reinstall. It's hardly any type of hell. Sometimes you just have to outsmart the technology.

Just how "few" minutes do you think it takes to install a 50GB games? Suppose you're sitting around with your friends drinking beer and playing games. "Hey" you say, "Have you guys played this game?" "No." "It's awesome, you've got to check it out. Just let me fire it.. oh I uninstalled it. Let's wait 20 minutes for it to install. What do you want to do until then" "Let's play Atari instead."

Sometimes you just have to outsmart the technology.

When they mod the Xbone to support loading games from your multiple terabyte NAS, that will be outsmarting the technology.

• Like 3

Just how "few" minutes do you think it takes to install a 50GB games?

There are no games that take up 50GB on the install (39GB is the tops, but most are half that, and in fact some are as small as 2 GB), also you don't have to install the whole game to start playing that game.

Do you even have a One or are you just making this stuff up to cater to some agenda?

Yeah, but this is a MS console so I don't think I'll void that warranty just yet...

I loved the 360 but had three replaced as fails...

:D

• Like 1

Considering that this voids the warranty of a console who's previous generation was plagued with as much hardware failure as MS has, I would think that many would think twice before taking this route and wait for an official solution. For the time being I would think the 500Gig is enough for the amount of games currently released anyway.

There are no games that take up 50GB on the install (39GB is the tops, but most are half that, and in fact some are as small as 2 GB

Uh,

Anyhow, yeah, one of my friends got a One, and they got Ghosts as their first game for the system. They loaded it up, and it took 49GB of data, a full 10% of that hard drive for one game....and it's not even gotten the bloated constant updates or extra maps yet.

So forgive me for rounding up. Do I have an agenda? Yes, console owners should be free to hook up whatever external storage they want via a standard interface like USB or eSATA. Anything else is just deliberate shittiness on the part of Microsoft (and Sony). Nintendo is the only one who got this right. They should be praised for it, while the others criticized.

One of the things that irked me about the PS3 was the constant firmware and game updates. All too often I'd want to just sit down and play a game and when I fired up the system, I'd have to wait to download a firmware update, then wait for it to install. Finally, I'd attempt to load the game only to have to download an update and wait for it to install. Sometimes, I just gave up and said #$%^ it as I lost all interest in playing.

Not many firmware updates on the XB360 and any game updates seemed to only take a few seconds or a minute to perform. Much, much nicer way of doing things.

With that said.... I own neither a XB1 or PS4 but am I to understand that on both systems you have to install the game disk to the HD to play? Wow, guess technology has travelled into the future and found floppy disks! :D

Gotta be a little bit of a pain if you use GameFly or Redbox to constantly install and uninstall.

Uh,

So forgive me for rounding up. Do I have an agenda? Yes, console owners should be free to hook up whatever external storage they want via a standard interface like USB or eSATA. Anything else is just deliberate shittiness on the part of Microsoft (and Sony). Nintendo is the only one who got this right. They should be praised for it, while the others criticized.

The Xbox One will allow an external drive at some point, though hopefully sooner rather than later. No idea why it's not already there. In theory, it may be possible for the PS4 to do the same, but right now Sony only allows an internal drive swap and have given no indication or desire to support an external solution. While it's true that the Wii U supports external drives, it also has much smaller default storage (32GB max), and again, instead of digital purchases being tied to your account, they're tied to your console, which is a huge negative. It seems simple enough, but none of the big three have gotten the formula quite right...

With that said.... I own neither a XB1 or PS4 but am I to understand that on both systems you have to install the game disk to the HD to play? Wow, guess technology has travelled into the future and found floppy disks! :D

Gotta be a little bit of a pain if you use GameFly or Redbox to constantly install and uninstall.

Depending upon your point of view, one of the sad repurcussions of Microsoft's change in policy from what they originally intended with the Xbox One was the loss of buying a game digitially or on disc at retail and automatically having it tied to your account. Simply put, no need for the disc, and you'd have access to your game from anywhere you logged in. With the brouhaha over the original decision, Microsoft had to revert to the more traditional policy of needing the disc in the drive (as a check) to start the game. I was one of the ones who wanted to see how Microsoft's original policies would have worked out. For better or worse, it sadly wasn't meant to be. Maybe next generation more of the public will be ready.

Depending upon your point of view, one of the sad repurcussions of Microsoft's change in policy from what they originally intended with the Xbox One was the loss of buying a game digitially or on disc at retail and automatically having it tied to your account. Simply put, no need for the disc, and you'd have access to your game from anywhere you logged in. With the brouhaha over the original decision, Microsoft had to revert to the more traditional policy of needing the disc in the drive (as a check) to start the game. I was one of the ones who wanted to see how Microsoft's original policies would have worked out. For better or worse, it sadly wasn't meant to be. Maybe next generation more of the public will be ready.

Its not that simple...they would have required a constant check in for it work remember? O365 which I deploy here in the office works the same way except it's monthly. If they would require a constant check every 24 hours many people would be pissed including many who have no access. It wasn't going to work the way they planned for it to be. They tried what it took years for Steam to accomplish but in my opinion...a worse way.

Edit:

Its best they changed it and rethink what they will do in the future. As is...it was a shitty proposition in my opinion.

Edited by cimerians

It seems simple enough, but none of the big three have gotten the formula quite right...

For me, the Wii U has come the closest because

No disk installs

Backwards compatible

External HD support

Free online

The down part of the Wii U is exactly what you stated: DLC is tied to the console, meaning that if you replace your console with another for whatever reason, say Bye-Bye to your downloaded items.

For this reason, I rarely make purchases from the eShop unless its a really cheap game like the 30cent NES games or the $2 Edge game.

For me, the Wii U has come the closest because

No disk installs

Backwards compatible

External HD support

Free online

The down part of the Wii U is exactly what you stated: DLC is tied to the console, meaning that if you replace your console with another for whatever reason, say Bye-Bye to your downloaded items.

For this reason, I rarely make purchases from the eShop unless its a really cheap game like the 30cent NES games or the $2 Edge game.

That's my same problem and the same purchases that I've made - the .30 ones. I won't do others, though I'd certainly love to (i.e., Nintendo is losing out of money here). We have two Wii U's in the house, and I can't even use the same account on both. It's crazy. Also, it's arguable whether free online is really a plus. Online play is incredibly anemic compared to what the competition has. One wonders if they created a more premium service if the online community wouldn't be more robust. Of course, the platform has other issues at the moment, but no reason to get into that right now.

49 GB So forgive me for rounding up.

Except the game instal isn't 49GB. That same person posted in another thread that your Xbox Live games were tied to your console and if you got a new console you lose your game forever. People are mistaken sometimes. Ghosts instal is 39GB, it's like the largest of any of the Xbox One games. Most are less than half that, and as I mentioned, you don't have to instal the entire game before you start playing. Truthfully. you could buy every game currently available for the Xbox One, and instal them all, and still have room. I just brought up deleting stuff as an option for people who wanted to buy a bunch of games but didn't want to buy an external drive in the future.

MS has already stated that in an upcoming update the Xbox One would support external USB drives and that it would be coming soon. Will you buy one when that update happens?

Install sizes (google it it should be roughly the same stats) http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-20-all-the-xbox-one-launch-games-and-their-install-sizes:

Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag – 20GB
Battlefield 4 – 33GB
Call of Duty: Ghosts – 39GB
Dead Rising 3 – 19GB
FIFA 14 – 8GB
Fighter Within – 9.2GB
Forza Motorsport 5 – 31GB
Just Dance 2014 – 22GB
Killer Instinct – 3.4GB
Lococycle – 13GB
Madden NFL 25 – 12GB
NBA 2K14 – 43GB
NBA Live 14 – 9GB
Powerstar Golf – 3.9GB
Ryse: Son of Rome - 34GB
Skylanders: Swap Force – 15GB
Xbox Fitness – 246MB
Zoo Tycoon – 2.6GB
Zumba: World Party – 24GB

Install times are generally fast so thats not an issue but the PS4 kicks the Xbox's ass with install times (it probably does more streaming):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fscS8iOMenk

Assassin’s Creed IV:
Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 seconds

Need For Speed Rivals:
XB1: 09:25
PS4: 00:32

Just Dance 2014:
XB1: 08:48
PS4: 00:45

NBA Live 14:
XB1: 16:26
PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:
XB1: 16:06
PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:
XB1: 09:38
PS4: 00:38

IMO: I didnt want to deal with this crap so I bought a hybrid SSD for the PS4. I havent bought an Xbox One but I assume it wont be an issue down the road which is why it's best to wait to buy a launch console even though I don't follow my own advice. :P

Edited by cimerians