XB1: 16:26

PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:

XB1: 16:06

PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:

XB1: 09:38

PS4: 00:38

Yes that sounds more like it as far as install sizes go, although the comparison list seems to be giving you times for the install on the One not for when you can actually play the game which in my experience has been a few minutes after you start installing, my guess is the size of the install matters in that case. Still it makes you wonder, why such a difference. It's hard to believe FIFA 14, an 8GB install would take just as long as the largest install title NBA Live 14 on the One, and mere seconds on the PS4.

Well at least some of those times seem way off.

I just looked up FIFA 14 and a person installed both to each console.

It took 8:24 on the PS4 and 12:20 on the One for the full install.

Maybe the person who listed the times in the list above was comparing the time it took before you could play the game on the PS4 to the entire install on the One?

I dunno. You can start playing the game on the One before the entire process finishes also, so again seems odd.

Hmmm...not sure...when it comes down to it its not that big of a deal to delete the games when you have to cause when you reload it it doesnt take that long to start playing. I just didn't want to deal with it from the start which I know makes the console launch even pricier. I basically paid 500 bucks for a PS4.

Keeping games installed isn't mandatory, so another option is to just delete the install of games you're not currently playing. If you decide in the future you want to play them again, take the few minutes and reinstall. It's hardly any type of hell. Sometimes you just have to outsmart the technology.

That'll work until Microsoft takes down the Xbox One servers, which is bound to happen someday. I have no intent of buying an Xbox One, but I may buy a PS4, and I'll buy games as long as I can get them in physical from. Assuming the next generation of consoles do away entirely with media, this generation will probably be the last I have any interest in.

I agree that a 500GB hard drive isn't very much, so they'll either need to support external drives or allow you to delete and reinstall games.

I have yet to purchase DLC for any games. I'm personally of the opinion that it's just a cash grab by developers and publishers. This isn't always the case, but it sure seems to be the case with many publishers. Games are already expensive enough at $50/60. Any DLC that's available within weeks of a game's release should have been included with the game in the first place. I have less qualms with DLC that adds significant new content to a game, which may have been sold in the past as add-on packs, or even as a sequel to the game.

..Al

That'll work until Microsoft takes down the Xbox One servers, which is bound to happen someday.

Is the install data coming from the MS servers? I can't imagine that it is. That means if you bought a game, like day Dead Rising 3, and didn't have the One connected to the internet, which is no longer a requirement, that you wouldn't be able to install it. I think the data is on the disks. So if you say finished Dead Rising 3 and weren't going to be playing it any time soon, it might benefit your HDD space to just delete the install. That was all I was suggesting, for people who are running out of space. MS taking down the servers shouldn't affect re-installing the game I wouldn't think.

Is the install data coming from the MS servers? I can't imagine that it is. That means if you bought a game, like day Dead Rising 3, and didn't have the One connected to the internet, which is no longer a requirement, that you wouldn't be able to install it. I think the data is on the disks. So if you say finished Dead Rising 3 and weren't going to be playing it any time soon, it might benefit your HDD space to just delete the install. That was all I was suggesting, for people who are running out of space. MS taking down the servers shouldn't affect re-installing the game I wouldn't think.

Can you buy the games online? In that case, you don't have an install disc. What happens if you delete games purchased online? Can you reinstall them? I wasn't thinking of the "install from disc" scenario.

..Al

Of course you can reinstall digital games at any time as long as you're logged in on any system. That's true of both PS4 and Xbox One. It seems silly to be wary of digital purchases in this day and age considering every single platform has digital content now, and some platforms are pure digital (particularly mobile). It's not a perfect system by any means, but it's the system we have and will almost certainly continue to have going forward. Luckily, for those who still want the disc, there are still disc options for the most part, and those you can install again at any time without any verification (except in some cases on the PC, where you might need to activate/authenticate with a digital service such as Steam).

Can you buy the games online? In that case, you don't have an install disc.

True enough. I think you can download all the One games directly from the store. I don't download full games unless they are heavily discounted or free via download, I just stick to the disks as long as they are an option. Will be curious to see how it's handled when it's DLC only. I don't imagine it's coming anytime soon is why I guess I haven't thought much about it. I will say this, I find myself growing tired of keeping up with and swapping out disks all the time. DLC is the future in my opinion. Hopefully they can get all the kinks ironed out.

It seems silly to be wary of digital purchases in this day and age considering every single platform has digital content now, and some platforms are pure digital (particularly mobile). It's not a perfect system by any means, but it's the system we have and will almost certainly continue to have going forward. Luckily, for those who still want the disc, there are still disc options for the most part, and those you can install again at any time without any verification (except in some cases on the PC, where you might need to activate/authenticate with a digital service such as Steam).

If you like digital downloads, more power to you. As far as I'm concerned, I don't like it as I lose the ability to loan/borrow games, sell games when I'm done with them, or just plain give them to someone else. And the games cost the same price! So that's a big win for Sony and Microsoft, a big lose for consumers. Any consoles based on online authentication and/or digital downloads are going to be worthless once they are "obsolete" and no longer supported. Again, big win for the console manufacturers and game publishers.

..Al

I dont make too many digital purchases on consoles anymore, I stick with Steam on the majority of those games as they eventually make it there. In my opinion I never liked the way Microsoft or Sony handled licensing. Microsoft in my opinion handled it better but I still dont like bothering with logging in, transfering licenses etc. Yes it's simple but a better option and one that lasts for longer generations is Steam\Windows.

Consoles for me are mainly for physical disc based games first and foremost and add to that exclusive titles. The rest I get through Steam or other PC based outlets.

And don't forget it's not just game installs. That hard drive is also going to get full of system updates, game patches, apps, pictures, movies, music, and whatever else Microsoft wants you to cram on there in their quest to be your One-stop shop for entertainment.

At least the Ouya is so small that it would be easy to trade-borrow each other's systems and play each others' games. Just make sure you delete your credit card info every time you do that if you don't trust your friend.

I imagine if a major company's console didn't need the parts required to run discs, they would be very compact and lightweight as well, just maybe not quite as small as the Ouya.

But you can get physical discs of the games on the XB1 still which has the data on it. I see this as a minor issue if an issue at all. I've been installing games on the HDD since it became an option onthe 360. I delete ones I'm not going to play and if I want to; I can always pop the disc back in and reinstall it. It is nice that you can start playing the game while its being installed though.

Assuming the servers are still around to log into in the first place. We're entering a dark age for future video game historians.

Right, if they are smart they will keep them around. Be interesting to see how they handle that. Amazon still has all my purchases, even from many years ago when they first started cloud saves. I played my purchases on the 360 and they also play fine on the One. It does kind of bother me that 360 purchases arent accessible on the One. Maybe that will change when they finally decide to stop supporting 360 Live access. Time will tell, I don't expect it to be anytime soon.