IGNORED

Hong Kong and Singapore Variants

boxpressed

Do all of the Mattel releases have a Hong Kong variant (of the original USA version)?

Also, I noticed that my Mission X that (like many of you) I bought from here eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3906466674391?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=390646667439&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] was made in Singapore. This is the Mattel gatefold version. The seller claims it is a "UK" version. Did the UK have its own line of variants for Mattel releases?

Also, I noticed that Intellivision, Inc. releases were made either in the USA or Singapore. Is there a Singpore variant for each I.I. title? Or are there some that are Singapore only?

I was hoping someone would spare me the trouble of looking at all of these titles on intvfunhouse!

• Like 1

Hmm... good question. I did a quick peek into my database's box and label info and at a very quick glance, it appears Singapore variations are mostly late releases. Allowing for inaccuracies, here's what I noticed:

All 1983 releases from Mattel at least had Singapore labels. Most of the boxes did, too.

The same can be said for the corresponding Intellivision, Inc. labels, and even more boxes than Mattel.

My hunch is that at some point, Mattel move manufacturing to Singapore likely for reduced cost, but still had some in a few other places (IIRC there are a couple Korea and Taiwan labels and possibly boxes / manuals, too). In fact, there are some I.I. labels for stalwarts such as Poker & Blackjack, Night Stalker, and Tron Deadly Discs, too.

As to the Hong Kong versions... Just about everything had a Hong Kong variation as far as I can remember.

Many titles do have a U.K. version. Virtually all the sports titles have 'non-licensed' versions released in Europe. These tended to have English on the box, but no league logo, e.g. "GOLF" instead of "PGA GOLF". The non-1983 releases (i.e. the "network" releases usually had a slightly different box, which had a CONTENTS: blurb on the front cover and slots for (loclized) manuals on the back.

Now, to your specific question about that particular item: Is it the U.K. version? I don't see any reason to think it is, or is not. It's one of the later (1983) releases. I think there was a transition period away from the gatefold boxes to the flip-top ones. I've always assumed that the super-duper colorful version of the box was released in mainland Europe and the U.K. as well, and that the gatefold blue box was an "early" production run. That's based purely on my own assumptions and not at all on any real data. The reasoning goes that at the end, costcutting led to the cheaper way to do boxes, so why increase costs on later production runs of the games. I assumed gatefold boxes cost more to make.

Now, to your specific question about that particular item: Is it the U.K. version? I don't see any reason to think it is, or is not. It's one of the later (1983) releases. I think there was a transition period away from the gatefold boxes to the flip-top ones. I've always assumed that the super-duper colorful version of the box was released in mainland Europe and the U.K. as well, and that the gatefold blue box was an "early" production run. That's based purely on my own assumptions and not at all on any real data. The reasoning goes that at the end, costcutting led to the cheaper way to do boxes, so why increase costs on later production runs of the games. I assumed gatefold boxes cost more to make.

It would be nice if this were the "original" Mission X for the American market before the cost-cutting measures kicked in. If someone opened one of the copies from this particular dealer, we'd be able to tell whether the manual was localized for British English.

And I'd forgotten all about Draughts, so there were UK localizations even at the box level (unless this is the only one).

I've been sorely tempted to open my copy -- I got one from the same seller. I have a ratty old one to look over first, and can do a manual comparison. IIRC if/when Mattel localized a manual -- even from U.S. English to British English, it got a different part number. The U.S. market manuals usually ended with -0920. Other English-language manuals have had different "suffix" part numbers like -0720 (mostly the dual EN/FR stuff for Canada), -0810 and -420 for other English-speaking markets... Haven't quite figured out the mappings entirely, e.g. if some were for Australia vs. EU vs. U.K.... it's still (to me) an unsolved mystery.

... and a few grains of salt to go w/ that since I'm operating from what seems to be a more frequently faulty memory ... ;)

Also, I noticed that my Mission X that (like many of you) I bought from here eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3906466674391?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=390646667439&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] was made in Singapore. This is the Mattel gatefold version. The seller claims it is a "UK" version. Did the UK have its own line of variants for Mattel releases?

I've been sorely tempted to open my copy -- I got one from the same seller. I have a ratty old one to look over first, and can do a manual comparison. IIRC if/when Mattel localized a manual -- even from U.S. English to British English, it got a different part number. The U.S. market manuals usually ended with -0920. Other English-language manuals have had different "suffix" part numbers like -0720 (mostly the dual EN/FR stuff for Canada), -0810 and -420 for other English-speaking markets... Haven't quite figured out the mappings entirely, e.g. if some were for Australia vs. EU vs. U.K.... it's still (to me) an unsolved mystery.

... and a few grains of salt to go w/ that since I'm operating from what seems to be a more frequently faulty memory ... ;)

I have an open gatefold Mission X that I acquired before I bought copies of the sealed ones. As far as I can tell by comparing the outsides, I believe that the opened one that I already had is the same as the unopened ones. Here's some pics for reference:

Mattel Gatefolds_01

(the two left ones are sealed)

MissionX (sealed copies)_bottoms

(the two bottom ones are sealed)
Manuals:
My opened copy of Mission X has a Hong Kong manual (PN 4437-0920) that is in English only. This gatefold Mission X is the only place I have seen this manual. I have 3 copies of the Mattel non-gatefold Mission and all 3 have USA manuals. The International (cream colored box) has the Hong Kong made multilingual manual. My Intellivision Inc has the black and white manual. I agree with Steve that the sealed one is NOT UK specific.
Carts:
Both my opened gatefold Mission X and my International version have this cart:
Kinda fitting since those two are the only gatefold versions of Mission X. I have a theory. Gatefolds preceded flippy boxes, so when the Mattel Mission X, Burgertime, and Buzz Bombers were originally released (Maybe Vectron too), they went with gatefolds. My guess is that they planned to do the entire 1983 line up this way, but plans changed and the remainder of the 1983 releases went flippy box. BUT, not before releasing Burgertime, Mission X, Shark Shark, and Vectron International versions, which were made in Singapore (probably at the same time as the non-International versions)....well carts in Singapore, overlays in USA, Manual in Hong Kong, and who knows about the box.
It would have been cool if they had made an International Buzz Bombers! I suppose they thought the International community would better relate with Sharks vs Bees :grin: Of course knowing the German animal market, I'm surprised they didn't go with a game involving squirrels and owls :rolling:
Steve, I'll scan my Hong Kong Mission X Manual for you tomorrow so you don't have to open yours. I noticed that you mention it on your site, but have no pic.

The seller who had the gatefold Mission X also has a sealed Space Battle red box. It does not mention the KC. I wonder what the story is behind it?

It could be the Hong Kong version. The red box came in both versions, but I think the full color manual one was only the USA one. I'll have to look at mine later.

HEY! If it is in VG condition....you know I am looking for one....

It's not in good condition. It's pretty much the same condition as the one I sent you a pic of. Crushed box. That's why I was excited about the new one, although it has the word "free" written in marker on the front, but the box is great. Still a nice upgrade.