IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Vs. 3DO

Jakandsig

26 members have voted

1. 1. Atari Jaguar Vs. 3DO

• Atari Jaguar
    • 3DO

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Which do you think is better? These were the two systems (one selling 300,000+ and one selling 7 million+ debatable each number) that started the push for 3D console gaming Which would not reach a peak point until 2001 but that is another story.

The 3DO introduced great game with clear polygons like Need for Speed, Killing Time, NBA, GEX, Star Control II and more. It had a large amount of third-party developers and had tons of games.

The Atari Jaguar started the trent to bring back old franchises into 3D with new modes. Such as Defender 2000, Missile Command 3D, Tempest 200, and games like Iron Soldier and Ultra Vortek.

personally im a huge fan of the 3DO, but the jaguar is a fine piece of hardware in its own right. if only more of the games released for it had utilized its full potential it could have been a fairly successful console, even with the high price tag. the jaguar CD was crap tho, plain and simple.

both of these systems have one major thing in common tho, something that they share with the dreamcast, turbografx 16, and the RCA studio II just to name a few. they wanted to be the next big thing in gaming, and for their console to be an absolute powerhouse compared to what was currently on the market. unfortunately they only thought about the "here and now", and that lack of foresight caused them to make machines that were ultimately between console generations, and within a short period of time were obsolete.

anyway, in regards to the question. 3DO>Jaguar

Agreed. These threads are so pointless. What is the point of trying to rank classic consoles? They're cheap; buy both.

• Like 2

No, there's never enough comparison threads.

Why are there so many mod wannabe's anymore? You could probably not post in these "vs" threads if they're such a horrible terrible blight?

Anyways...I say the 3DO. Mostly because I don't own a Jag. I'd love to, but they're pretty pricey, and I really don't need another mouth to feed so to speak...I've played the Jag and from what I experienced I like the 3DO better. Sewer Shark is one of my all time faves.

Why are there so many mod wannabe's anymore? You could probably not post in these "vs" threads if they're such a horrible terrible blight?

Probably because there was exactly the same thread (by a different person though) in the Jaguar section on November 28th, and it was closed by a real mod.^^ This must be some kind of record. It's natural these threads pop up once in a while... but two times the same topic in less than a week? :P

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/219117-atari-jaguar-vs-3do/

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 1

Except neither the Jaguar nor the 3DO are cheap as far as classic consoles go.

Really? A Jag is worth $40-50, and a 3DO $60-80. Depends on what you consider "cheap", I guess.

Edit: I see that it's jetset's time of the month again.

Edited by Jibbajaba
  • Like 2

Really? A Jag is worth $40-50, and a 3DO $60-80. Depends on what you consider "cheap", I guess.

I'm thinking games, too. Also, I haven't seen a 3DO for $60 in a while, but I haven't really looked, either. Anyway, a Genesis is about $20, an SNES $30, Dreamcast $15, N64 $20, I have a hard time giving away PS1s...and all have a bunch of cheap but good games. As far as retro goes, Jag and 3DO are on the upper end of things. Not Neo Geo or Turbo-Grafx expensive, but also not nearly as good.

Mmm, not really. If you go look at the Jaguar forum, you'll see there's a thread going on now about the fact that Jaguar prices have tripled in the last few years.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a working Jag with power supply, video cable, controller and a common or two for less than $150 these days.

I would say that with a little bit of smart shopping, you can get one considerably cheaper. $150 would be full-blown eBay high end I-want-one-right-now price. I saw several on eBay end for reasonable prices. Or just wait for one to pop up on the forums. I just sold a Jag to a fellow AA'er for $50 shipped.

Jet: Not yet.

I would say that with a little bit of smart shopping, you can get one considerably cheaper. $150 would be full-blown eBay high end I-want-one-right-now price. I saw several on eBay end for reasonable prices. Or just wait for one to pop up on the forums. I just sold a Jag to a fellow AA'er for $50 shipped.

Jet: Not yet.

If you happen to find a nice, CIB Jag on the cheap, please let me know. My smart shopping doesn't seem to be helping me much. :lol:

• Like 1

I'd like to try "Tempest 2000".

Funny, I was just discussing Tempest 2000 in a PM conversation with another member. The nice thing about Tempest 2000 is that, even though it originated on the Jaguar, it also found its way to other platforms. I've read that Jeff Minter didn't like the Saturn or PlayStation versions, but if you want to play Tempest 2000 without buying a Jaguar, I can highly recommend the PC CD-ROM version. There was a DOS version released in limited quantities by Atari, and then Interplay ported it to Windows and published both versions together on one disc. Ironically, the Windows version is the harder of the two to enjoy today, since it works only with Windows 95/98 and a 256-color display. The DOS version reportedly runs well under the DOSBox emulator.

Tempest 2000 is a fun game, I bought it when I had my Jag back in the day since it was one of the few games on the system that was universally praised. But in light of the fact that today it can be enjoyed on other systems and even on a PC with some work, the Jag doesn't seem worth it. Given the high prices too.

Hate to say it, but for me there aren't too many Vs. situations where the Jaguar comes out on top. The chaff-to-wheat ratio is just too great, which is especially problematic with such a relatively small library. I don't mean to dog on the Jaguar; there are things about it I like, and I can forgive it many of its idiosyncrasies, but it comes down to the games. Tempest 2000 is pretty good, but when your go-to title is a rehash of a decade year old game, you're in trouble.

Hate to say it, but for me there aren't too many Vs. situations where the Jaguar comes out on top. The chaff-to-wheat ratio is just too great, which is especially problematic with such a relatively small library. I don't mean to dog on the Jaguar; there are things about it I like, and I can forgive it many of its idiosyncrasies, but it comes down to the games. Tempest 2000 is pretty good, but when your go-to title is a rehash of a decade year old game, you're in trouble.

Yes. If you really like the gems in the Jaguar library, it can be worth the investment, but there just aren't enough of them to make it worthwhile for most collectors. I've said in the past that about 25% of the Jaguar's games are "great to good", 30% are "average", and 45% are "mediocre to awful". That might be justifiable when the games are plentiful and inexpensive (as they were when I bought most of my Jaguar stuff in 1999), but not at today's crazy prices. What's worse, the games in the "good to average" range include ports which are also available on more popular platforms.

Given all that, I'd still choose the Jaguar over the 3DO. The 3DO has an even less impressive library than the Jaguar, judging from the reviews I've read, and the hardware seems equally underwhelming. As others have pointed out, the exclusive use of optical media is bound to become more problematic over time.

I've owned both systems. I kept the Jaguar and sold the 3DO. YMMV.

Both systems have positives and negatives.

One definite plus for the 3DO is that although original games can be hard to come by, most of the library is available via download, and easily burnable to CD-R.

Not that I ever did such a thing, mind you.

However, I have always preferred the Atari brand for classic systems, so the Jag holds more appeal to me as Atari's last hurrah. That, and I really enjoy all the excited hyper-drama in the Jaguar scene...