IGNORED

CvW 2013: Game Achievements!

DZ-Jay

As the Carol vs. The World! championship continues, Santa has added a new twist to the challenge...

Game Achievements!

Achievements are small incremental goals that track your progress through the game. They can serve as additional personal challenges or provide extra bragging rights. They are completely optional, and do not really affect your chances in the competition. They're just neat to earn and brag about, and lots of fun!

All your earned achievements will be shown right next to your high-score in the official Carol vs. The World! Championship leaderboard.

So, head on down to the main contest web site and visit the Achievements section for more information.

http://www.carolvsghost.com/cvw2013

With 27 achievements in total, how many can you earn?

How do they work?

Some achievements are earned automatic, meaning that they occur as you play normally. These can be inferred from the score, so submitting your high score photo as usual is sufficient. Others require that you submit proof separately.

For instance, consider achievement "Santa's Magic Touch," which is earned when you reach 300 points. When you submit your normal high score entry, if the score is greater than 300 points, you will be awarded the achievement automatically.

In contrast, to earn the achievement "The Perfectionist Elf," you must submit a separate photo showing proof that you got a "Perfect Level Bonus." This may or may not be your high score entry submission.

For more information on achievements check out the Frequently Asked Questions page.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 3

Great... I love the achievements idea :thumbsup:

Thank you for creating achievements of all colours and flavours!

This should keep everyone (newcomers and experienced elves) motivated.

Which reminds me my "almost-perfect" xmas from last year (see picture).

What should be the name of this achievement? :)

post-34781-0-55843000-1386083036_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oscar G.
  • Like 2

Wow! See, this is what I'm talking about. You have singlehandedly redefined what the full game launch experience could/should be like. Kudos yet again to you sir. :) Now if you'd just get to work on another game so I can sing your praises all over again. ;)

• Like 1

Wow! See, this is what I'm talking about. You have singlehandedly redefined what the full game launch experience could/should be like. Kudos yet again to you sir. :) Now if you'd just get to work on another game so I can sing your praises all over again. ;)

LOL! Thanks for the nice words, but flattery won't get you a free patch. You'll have to earn it. :P

Seriously, if people have fun, it's all worth it. And a very sincere thanks to you and everyone for the support.

As for another game, I'm working on it. It takes time, especially if you are a slow-poke, procrastinating dummy like I am. :)

dZ.

DZ, I played this SOOOOO MUCH last year, I haven't played it again until a few days ago..

What was I thinking, this is a great game! Even better, I have forgotten my patterns...or is that worse?

I only missed first place by 8-9K points last year. about 2.5x my score! LOL

I can't even get back to my old scores. I have 2 weeks off before the new year, no trips planned and a hunger to be number 1.

So I may match my score from last year!!!! Maybe?

Like everyone else, waiting for your next effort to be released! Hope springs eternal? A bunny saves easter.

Good luck to all. Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

Some achievements are too hard.

64 perfect levels?

When playing, I try to (sometimes I got it) make the first 16 levels perfect.

Then for the next year, I only try the first level of each cavern.

I start to use the 'survival path' in the second level of the caverns in the second Christmas Year.

I always go for perfect in Icicle Lane. ;) There's a good tip for this cavern... Works in all difficulties! (and I'm not talking about the zig-zag techinque in the edge of the screen)

I also can try perfect score for Snowflake garden too. There's another trick for this one which works in all difficulties too :-D

Freezer Burn is very interesting. Sometimes things go well and perfect is a natural consequence. Sometimes it's the opposite and you get burnt...

Some achievements are too hard.

64 perfect levels?

When playing, I try to (sometimes I got it) make the first 16 levels perfect.

Then for the next year, I only try the first level of each cavern.

I start to use the 'survival path' in the second level of the caverns in the second Christmas Year.

I always go for perfect in Icicle Lane. ;) There's a good tip for this cavern... Works in all difficulties! (and I'm not talking about the zig-zag techinque in the edge of the screen)

I also can try perfect score for Snowflake garden too. There's another trick for this one which works in all difficulties too :-D

Freezer Burn is very interesting. Sometimes things go well and perfect is a natural consequence. Sometimes it's the opposite and you get burnt...

There are achievements for all sorts of Elves. The 64 perfect levels may be the hardest one, but I thought nobody was going to roll-over the color to yellow, and more than one person did last year! :o

Don't worry too much about it, and do what you can. :)

-dZ.

Can my 4-year-old enter?

He loves the manual, and is constantly begging to look at it. I may need a backup copy!

OF COURSE! Anyone can enter! All they have to do is play and submit a picture of the score. :)

Last year we had some kids playing as well. And remember, everyone's score goes in the leaderboard, no matter what it is.

-dZ.

My achievements board:

• The Spirit of Christmas Presents: Submit a score to become a challenger in the championship. Done. (Score of 2,758 posted in the first day)
  • The Spirit of Christmas Past: Having participated in the 2012 championship, submit a new high score that beats your old one. Trying.
  • Ice Cave Raider: Pick up all the presents to complete the first level of the game. Done. (When posted score of 2,758 in 12/01)
  • Cavern Explorer: Complete the first stage of the game and move on to a new cavern. Done. (When posted score of 2,758 in 12/01)
  • Santa's Magic Touch: Reach 300 points and earn an extra life. Done. (When posted score of 2,758 in 12/01)
  • The Boss is In: Reach the eighth stage and confront the Bad Toy in Twisted Toyland. Done. (When posted score of 2,758 in 12/01)
  • Elf in Training: Achieve a score higher than 500 points. Done. (When posted score of 2,758 in 12/01)
  • Elf Apprentice: Achieve a score higher than 1,000 points. Done. (When posted score of 2,758 in 12/01)
  • Santa's Elite Elf: Achieve a score higher than 2,000 points. Done. (When posted score of 2,758 in 12/01)
  • Practice Makes Perfect: Complete a session in Practice Mode with perfect score. Done

Practice in Ranger (Freezer Burn)

post-32348-0-99206900-1386419848_thumb.jpg

• The Perfectionist Elf: Achieve a Perfect Level Bonus on any stage of the adventure. Done

post-32348-0-79298100-1386420747_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My achievements board:

• The Spirit of Christmas Presents: Submit a score to become a challenger in the championship. Done. (Score of 2,758 posted in the first day)
  • The Spirit of Christmas Past: Having participated in the 2012 championship, submit a new high score that beats your old one. Trying.
  • Ice Cave Raider: Pick up all the presents to complete the first level of the game. Done. (When posted score of 2,758 in 12/01)
  • Cavern Explorer: Complete the first stage of the game and move on to a new cavern. Done. (When posted score of 2,758 in 12/01)
  • Santa's Magic Touch: Reach 300 points and earn an extra life. Done. (When posted score of 2,758 in 12/01)
  • The Boss is In: Reach the eighth stage and confront the Bad Toy in Twisted Toyland. Done. (When posted score of 2,758 in 12/01)
  • Elf in Training: Achieve a score higher than 500 points. Done. (When posted score of 2,758 in 12/01)
  • Elf Apprentice: Achieve a score higher than 1,000 points. Done. (When posted score of 2,758 in 12/01)
  • Santa's Elite Elf: Achieve a score higher than 2,000 points. Done. (When posted score of 2,758 in 12/01)
  • Practice Makes Perfect: Complete a session in Practice Mode with perfect score. Done

Practice in Ranger (Freezer Burn)

attachicon.gif2013-12-07_10-35-29_343.jpg

• The Perfectionist Elf: Achieve a Perfect Level Bonus on any stage of the adventure. Done

attachicon.gif2013-12-07_10-49-46_357.jpg

LOL! Great job! The leaderboard, with all earned achievements, will be uploaded soon! :)

P.S. Make sure to post your scores and achievements in the HSC thread in the future, just to make sure everyone who's playing will see it. ;)

-dZ.

LOL! Great job! The leaderboard, with all earned achievements, will be uploaded soon! :)

P.S. Make sure to post your scores and achievements in the HSC thread in the future, just to make sure everyone who's playing will see it. ;)

-dZ.

I'm posting only my achievements here. All scores going to the HSC.

To clarify for those who asked: A "Perfect Score" is when you finish a level having retrieved all presents, candy, and without losing a life during the level. When you do this, the game will display "PERFECT!" and give you a bonus, the amount of which depends on the stage. It starts at 10 points for the first two stages. This is called the "Perfect Level Bonus" in the game manual.

To get the achievements related to "Perfect Level Bonus," you have to snap a photo of the "PERFECT!" message on the appropriate screen.

A "Perfect Christmas" is when you complete all stages and save Christmas, having achieved a perfect score on ALL 16 levels. This means you must eat all the candy and presents on every level, without losing a single life. A mean feat indeed, that only a rare few managed to do last year.