IGNORED

Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures

Robot2600

This game rocks. Personally I'm a fan of the show, and I get how maybe you wouldn't enjoy the game as much if you didn't like the show (why would you play a TMNT game if you didn't like TMNT?)

But, if you are a fan of Mega Man 9, 10, La Mulana, Super Meat Boy, Cave Story, and the like, or classic Mega Man, Castlevania, The Clash at Demonhead, Legacy of the Wizard, and Adventure Island, you really owe it to yourself to get AVGNA.

The game is difficult, sort of, but you get 30 lives, and each stages has like 6-10 checkpoints. You have infinite continues. There are 4 playable characters, and each one plays slightly differently, a la Super Mario 2. Unlike SMB2, however, some section absolutely require one of the characters.

I recommend using a USB gamepad and Joy2Key, to both map your controller and let you have autofire if you want it.

But really, this game feels like Mega Man 11. Any other fans?

I've cleared 6 levels so far, Boo! Haunted House and Blizzard of Balls remain. Probably saving Haunted House until the end. I cheated and looked up where the BS guy was, and so I have that to do as well. TBQH the game isn't that hard because of the 30 lives. Imagine if Mega Man 1 gave you 30 lives instead of 3 and had checkpoints everywhere...that's how this feels to me. Mega Man 1 is much, much harder, because to really be good at it you basically have to not die at all. You could die 30 times or so in AVGNA.

It's about on par with Mega Man 9 and 10, because you can abuse the shop in those games and get 9 E-Tanks to derp your way through the game a few times until you don't need the shop and you don't die ever. AVGN doesn't even require that much skill. It's definitely easier than Super Meat Boy, which has impossible challenges like getting "The Kid" as a character. I can beat mega Man 1,2,3,9,10 without losing a life. I can easily do most of SMB, but that room of spikes is just impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PjV4GGxdEQ

Nothing in AVGN is even close to that hard....yet.

Edited by Robot2600

This game rocks. Personally I'm a fan of the show, and I get how maybe you wouldn't enjoy the game as much if you didn't like the show (why would you play a TMNT game if you didn't like TMNT?)

But, if you are a fan of Mega Man 9, 10, La Mulana, Super Meat Boy, Cave Story, and the like, or classic Mega Man, Castlevania, The Clash at Demonhead, Legacy of the Wizard, and Adventure Island, you really owe it to yourself to get AVGNA.

The game is difficult, sort of, but you get 30 lives, and each stages has like 6-10 checkpoints. You have infinite continues. There are 4 playable characters, and each one plays slightly differently, a la Super Mario 2. Unlike SMB2, however, some section absolutely require one of the characters.

I recommend using a USB gamepad and Joy2Key, to both map your controller and let you have autofire if you want it.

But really, this game feels like Mega Man 11. Any other fans?

I don't know, I'm not a big fan of Power Rangers but I play the old fighting games because they're fun on their own so yeah.

Did you guys see The Angry Video Game Nerd review of games about himself? He had this game at the end and he said it gets a lot harder later on in the game.

Overall that's a nice review, well written and organized. I don't really agree with some things you said, but still well written. You seem to be somewhat lukewarm toward the game in general, which seems strange considering you had the guts to finish it. I just don't get the sentiment behind lines like

"It’s not the best game out there, but it’s a fun experience."

To me this sounds like a criticism, but why would we expect this game to be the best game out there? That seems to be an unrealistically high expectation. In terms of its genre "tough-as-nails platformer" it's definitely at the top of its class and deserves to be compared to Super Meat Boy and the like. Ok I get that you are using a figure of speech, but still.

And the disappearing platforms in this game are actually in time to the music, making them much, much, much more fair than the ones from Mega Man. I love the magnetic blocks!

My point: If I just read your review, I really wouldn't buy the game.

Again, I really don't think the difficulty is all that hard. 30 lives and tons of checkpoints are the equivalent of save states. Plus infinite continues! Plus, if anyone finds the game that hard they can play on easy.

And I paid 15 bucks for the game to support more Nerd games and movies. 15 bucks seems pretty fair, especially when it goes on sale for like 6.50 sometimes. I could see how someone on a budget might want to spent these 15 bucks on something that had a little more content, like Super Meat Boy, but really for old school fans this is a must and 15 is way better than the 30-60 you need to pay for most 3D games.

One final observation, the game is not "8-Bit." It's in a 16-Bit style. Maybe I should let this one go a the distinction isn't that important.

Ian, I'm sorry for criticizing your review, I hope you have tough skin and don't care too much. I get that most of this is just opinion vs opinion, so I'm here offering my 2 cents. You just kinda sounds like you don't like the game is all, which is fine and I have no desire to change your mind since you obviously played the game and know what you are talking about.

The last level might be a nightmare, but its still nothing compared to Mega Man 9 the first time through.

I'm just saying everyone says "I love retro games" or "I love Nintendo Hard" but then people find games like this almost too hard. You think Mega Man doesn't require you to memorize everything in that game? Or Castlevania? This game looks like its hard, and maybe it is difficult but it's also incredibly FAIR! Power-UPs, lives, secrets, beer, and checkpoints are EVERYWHERE.

Overall I'd put the difficulty about on par with Mega Man 3...MM2 has some rough parts at the end which AVGNA never reaches (like getting stuck on the wall-cannon boss).

The last level might be a nightmare, but its still nothing compared to Mega Man 9 the first time through.

No argument there. I appreciate the criticism. If someone didn't have a problem with what I've said about the game, then I wouldn't be doing my job. On the other hand, I am pretty new at this whole review gig, so it helps to narrow down areas where I can improve.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really mind AVGN. He's gotten a bit softer lately, but I still like it.

What I don't like are modern games that look 20 years old and here we have another one.

Minimum requirements are a pentium 4, 256mb system ram, and another 256 in the graphics card.

Makes me wonder exactly what they do with all that.

I dunno, maybe I am one of those 'graphics snobs' but I like my "16-bit" games on 16-bit systems, and I like my pentium 4+ games to look like something at least near its generation.

Edited by Reaperman