IGNORED

I'm considering ordering Sega Genesis RCA cables

mbd30

I've bought branded Genesis AV cables before. Didn't notice a difference in picture quality between RCA cables. That being said I'd never use an RF adapter. On anything but a 2600 it's not cute.

I only use RF because that's what my Genesis came with when I bought it used around 10 years ago.

It's undoubtedly better than RF, but not as nice as some other systems composite signals. Genesis looks MUCH better if you mod it for s-video, or can use the standard RGB output it has.

I'm pretty sure I remember plugging my Genesis into a Commodore monitor. I wanted to suggest a particular model and cable but all I see are SCART/RGB cables on eBay :/

It's undoubtedly better than RF, but not as nice as some other systems composite signals. Genesis looks MUCH better if you mod it for s-video, or can use the standard RGB output it has.

Actually it depends on the Genesis hardware. The common knowledge is that "Model 1" Genesis consoles have better composite video than "Model 2" consoles, but even that doesn't cover the whole story. A while back someone posted on Sega-16.com a really good guide on how to tell what Genesis you have, and what to expect in the way of audio and video quality.

Of course, S-video or RGB will look better than composite no matter which console you have, but if you have one of the better consoles, composite will still look pretty decent.

Also, it is possible to get S-video from a stock Genesis, without hacking, but you have to either build your own RGB-to-S converter, or find the Micomsoft converter released in Japan. The benefit of an external converter is you can use it on both a Genesis and a 32X, without having to hack both. Unfortunately those Micomsoft converters don't turn up very often, and aren't cheap when they do.

• Like 1

Even the model 1 genesis has pretty poor composite output. It's definitely worth modding for s-video or finding a way to use RGB. They do have much better audio (except the VA7s) than other models. Since composite cables are cheap, it's worth getting them for now. But it's not going to be as crisp as it could be

• Like 1

Again, it depends on which "Model 1" you have. Does it have "High Definition Graphics" printed on the case? Is there a 9-pin extension port in the back? What order are the other ports? Does it display "Produced by or under license from Sega" when turned on? All of those will help you determine which hardware revision you have, and in turn how good (or bad) the composite video is.

It really doesn't make that much difference, apart from "jailbars", which I've never seen on my model 1 VA6, model 2, model 3, cdx, or even the little Radica unit.

That sega-16 post basically says that the video is uniform across the model 1 units apart from rainbow banding / jailbars anyways.

It all depends on which model Genesis you have when you go the RCA route.

Early Model 1s will show vertical lines on some black and blue screens on certain TVs. Now early model ones are broken down into the non-TmSS models all the way up to the VA6 models(some of the VA6 models will not have the HD Graphics logo). The earliest model ones output the thickest most obvious lines on my TV. I had the coveted VA3 with the non-TmSS loading screen and it outputted a terrible picture. Your's may be different. The very last model one with the VA7 motherboard outputs the best picture but that's the one everyone says to stay away from due to the sound. Early model 2s will show jail bars on the screen like the NES Top Loader. Later model 2s will have a very sharp picture with no jailbars or the vertical lines. These are the 3/4 motherboards. That said, not all 3/4 motherboards are created equal as well. As to there are two types of 3/4 motherboards. You want the very last ones of those.

That all said. I grew up with a late model one VA6, I had buddies that had the earlier model 1s, and some who had the model 2. Not one of us ever noticed any difference back then.

Edited by genesisguy
  • Like 1

Early Model 1s will show vertical lines on some black and blue screens on certain TVs. Now early model ones are broken down into the non-TmSS models all the way up to the VA6 models(some of the VA6 models will not have the HD Graphics logo). The earliest model ones output the thickest most obvious lines on my TV. I had the coveted VA3 with the non-TmSS loading screen and it outputted a terrible picture. Your's may be different. The very last model one with the VA7 motherboard outputs the best picture but that's the one everyone says to stay away from due to the sound. Early model 2s will show jail bars on the screen like the NES Top Loader. Later model 2s will have a very sharp picture with no jailbars or the vertical lines. These are the 3/4 motherboards. That said, not all 3/4 motherboards are created equal as well. As to there are two types of 3/4 motherboards. You want the very last ones of those.

That all said. I grew up with a late model one VA6, I had buddies that had the earlier model 1s, and some who had the model 2. Not one of us ever noticed any difference back then.

I have a model 2 that has vertical lines. I was hoping using a different cable would help. I guess I may have to get a new Genesis to get a better picture if this doesn't help.

The TV that I use with my consoles is a Sanyo tube that doesn't even have full RCA inputs, just one yellow and white input in the front. I have an RCA to RF adapter that I normally plug my DVD player, etc. into or else I lose an audio channel. But I haven't noticed a loss in audio plugging my new Genesis RCA cable into the front of my TV. I think the Genesis is mono sound anyway.

If there is any way I can lose the jailbars with this TV without having to buy another Genesis that would be nice. I know one of these days I'll have to upgrade to a newer or better TV but I'm in no hurry.

Just wanted to HighLight this bc this is the best bit of info you can get for a composite out fom a Genesis, hands down. I sold a model 1 genny that fit this criteria for $30 so its not expensive and a good investment if youre planning on using and enjoying it for sometime.