IGNORED

Any Use for Non-Working Cartridges?

Tin_Lunchbox

No smart alecks, I am not looking for "use as drink coasters" or any arts & crafts suggestions. I really would just like to mail them to whomever for approximate cost of shipping or a little more so I don't just throw them in the garbage. I recently went through a box of loose cartridges and have seven that are non-working: 3 are Atari-style, 3 are Activision-style, and 1 is Turmoil.

While I'm at it, for some reason long ago, I salvaged the ROMs for Maze Craze and Gopher from physically broken cartridges. If anybody wants those for some reason.

Thank you!

Okay, thanks Random Terrain. Only 50 cents each in store credit and that only for the Atari ones, but they also offer reimbursement for your shipping in store shipping credit. I see where they advise against trying to ship media mail because "the post office" is cracking down on it, but cartridges are media! I will probably try it that way because it's so cheap, and they should let you.

The main thing was I didn't fancy just throwing them away.

• Like 1

There are also random people who make their own homebrew games and use various cartridge types, not just Atari. You never know what someone might need. If you can find a place to store your non-working carts without it being a pain, you might run into people who will need them over time.

• Like 1

Okay, thanks Random Terrain. Only 50 cents each in store credit and that only for the Atari ones, but they also offer reimbursement for your shipping in store shipping credit. I see where they advise against trying to ship media mail because "the post office" is cracking down on it, but cartridges are media! I will probably try it that way because it's so cheap, and they should let you.

Just be prepared to have your box opened by the post office and then argue with them, like I did. I had them show me the "regs" ( viewable here http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/173.htm#1113509 )

I argued that Atari cartridges fall under 4.1.i "Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information"

But the lady and her supervisor told me that "games" do not qualify. I argued that no where are games excluded from this definition... to no avail.

Other post offices may not be as rigid as I have gotten Atari games shipped media mail.

Edited by atari_envy

I argued that Atari cartridges fall under 4.1.i "Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information"

Thanks for the link. Yeah, it is basically impossible to rationally argue that Atari or other systems' cartridges are not computer-readable media containing prerecorded information, but when your local postal party pooper pounces, what are you going to do? Hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit? Bring the entire place to a standstill for ten minutes while you argue about your rights? I guess not.

EDIT: However I should say if you were running a used games business, or AtariAge store for that matter, in which the shipping costs were really damaging your bottom line, you could make a call or email to the regional post office HQ, and get them to send you a statement saying it was okay. That you could then print out and wave threateningly at the local clerk.

Edited by Tin_Lunchbox
  • Like 1

On the USPS website they say that video games are specifically not allowed. Although it seems you can use library rate which is cheaper than priority if the sender or receiver has a college address.

https://www.usps.com/ship/media-mail.htm

Well, that's a bummer. It seems a way different conclusion than what the regulation says. The webpage there says "video games and digital drives" are not eligible for media rate. A "digital drive" like an traditional IDE hard-drive I could understand that, it's not what is referred to as "media," is it? As for a USB thumb-drive, I guess I would in fact consider that "media."

The prohibition is only on games, so one may still media mail Basic Math and Spelling and Word Zapper etc. ;)

I ordered a gamecube online once. After about 3 weeks I went ahead and bought a new one from the local Gamestop since they were only $100 at the time. About a week later the other Gamecube showed up for pickup at the post office. The retailer had somehow shipped it media mail. I told the post office I was refusing the package and that the "media" was a video game console. The postal chick was a bit shocked when I told her that.

• Like 1

I recently went through a box of loose cartridges and have seven that are non-working: 3 are Atari-style, 3 are Activision-style, and 1 is Turmoil.

I agree with Atarian7. Try cleaning the contacts with alcohol, if you haven't tried that yet, before you get rid of them. About 20% of the loose carts I get are non-functional until I do this.

If that doesn't work, Marc Oberhäuser may be interested in the case for Turmoil.