IGNORED

Price of an Atari 5200

Atari2008

"BTW- Anyone else see the prices of the Masterplay on ebay? The prices are almost double what I thought they normally go for!"

Your telling me... I just spent a buck and a half on a new in box masterplay off the bay. These days for me its about quality for my collection, I'm being pretty selective and I'm not buying anything out of box, obviously it costs more but I feel better about my overall collection. I do play most of my things though so I see it more as a usable collection not a museum, after all what good is it doing sitting on a shelf collecting dust...

Edited by myklejay
  • Like 1

I thought that NIB Masterplays have been at least $120 for a couple of years. Weird thing, though, is that I see them slip by every once in awhile for $60 or so. The guy who created the compact 5200 said something about selling a cheap digital adapter.

yeah they have, I wish I could have found one for $120 NIB, and Ive been looking for some time now, $149 buy it now and the seller wouldn't budge at all. I think he listed another one so he must be sitting on a stock pile, lucky bastard!

Yeah, there's no shortage of NIB ones. (Seller just lowered the price to $135, I think.) I don't think there are many bargains to be had with a BIN for this item. The reasonably-priced ones have been completed auctions. As I said, I think I've seen at least three NIB ones go for less than $75 over the past year. I paid a little less than that for mine a couple of years ago.

There's a lot of neat stuff you can do with it. I think I connected a Trak Ball to it and also a Starplex. So, I could play Centipede with a "real" action button instead of the poor Trak Ball buttons. It worked okay for a while, and then the controls started to geek out.

• Like 1

There's a lot of neat stuff you can do with it. I think I connected a Trak Ball to it and also a Starplex. So, I could play Centipede with a "real" action button instead of the poor Trak Ball buttons. It worked okay for a while, and then the controls started to geek out.

That's a great idea, I wonder why the controls "geeked" on you after a while? Pokey chip...? I don't think there are any chips or controllers in the interface, It would have to be the 5200 right?

I thought that NIB Masterplays have been at least $120 for a couple of years. Weird thing, though, is that I see them slip by every once in awhile for $60 or so. The guy who created the compact 5200 said something about selling a cheap digital adapter.

I got my 1st Masterplay many years ago in a trade. complete in box and all that.

Sometime last year I purchased a 2nd on ebay BIN for $75 complete in box..

I had watched a few weeks and saw that as the going rate..

I was really surprised to see them at $140 yesterday.

Edited by Official Ninja

The 5200 is an amazing console. It can cost a lot in the long run, but you can get things one item at a time.

Get a console and a few games, fix up the stock controllers. You can get by with that for a while..

Add a SD cart from Atarimax, Wico stick / Y adapter... Keep an eye out for a masterplay interface.

Maybe an A/V mod.

The A8 computers are cool too, and you can easily play its whole library for the cost of a sio2pc-usb type adapter and ASPEQT software on the computer.

Or sio2sd.

The 5200 though just seems so much cooler to play on. The quirky analog controllers are very original and not as bad as people make them out to be.

You also have the options listed above, like the analog Wico sticks. The 5200 trak-ball controller is great.

All the a8 conversions make it even better. Being able to play those games on 5200 is great.

BTW- Anyone else see the prices of the Masterplay on ebay? The prices are almost double what I thought they normally go for!

I agree, this sounds like a good course of action. I know doing it all at once is beyond my price range, so as you suggested I'm thinking of getting a console, games and controllers as part of phase 1. Then I'll either rebuild (if I feel brave) my controllers or send them to Best Electronics for them to rebuild with their gold circuits as part of phase 2. Then I'll move beyond the stock controllers with either the Wicos with the Y-cables or a Masterplay Interface (knowing it will cost me but it would be nice to open up the world of 2600-compatible controllers) as part of phase 3. Beyond that I'll look into the Multi-Cart, Trackball and just building up my collection of games, and oh yea the 2600 adapter since I love the 2600. Sounds like entering the 5200 world will be fun, a bit more long-term and slower than most systems but I think it'll have great rewards. :) And I'll play the games on an emulator for now to get a feel for the system.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hi, i have an atari 5200 in his original box with a pair of controllers and the video cables, it lacks the power cables and i don't know how much the console cost, i really want to sell it because i don't really need it anymore if anyone could help me Saying how much it cost actually, it would be helpfull

2 hours ago, Bastian said:

Hi, i have an atari 5200 in his original box with a pair of controllers and the video cables, it lacks the power cables and i don't know how much the console cost, i really want to sell it because i don't really need it anymore if anyone could help me Saying how much it cost actually, it would be helpfull

If its NOS, the chances of the controllers working 100% are pretty slim. If it s a 4 port, and is missing the 4 port only switchbox, that guy gets expensive too. In the world of gaming, (as most things), untested automatically means not working. 50 bucks seems to be the going rate for untested but otherwise complete units, as long as the back door is there and not beat up.  The box is a crapshoot... if it s really nice there are people here that love that stuff. I would like one, but am not going to spend the big bucks on a nice untouched original box. My guess, and I do mean guess, is that if you have the 4 port only switchbox, but are unable to hook it up due to missing parts, that someone would probably give 100-120ish as long as the box and inserts are nice. Also, don t plug just any power brick into it to try it.