IGNORED

Hockey Robots of Death

catsfolly

Hmm... I wonder which key I need to press to get the "Press 8" easter egg... :ponder:

Unfortunately, you can't get the "Press 8" easter egg, because it didn't make it into the game. It's on the cutting room floor.

What DOES happen if you Press "8" in Paddle Party? You'll have to try it to find out...

Unfortunately, you can't get the "Press 8" easter egg, because it didn't make it into the game. It's on the cutting room floor.

What DOES happen if you Press "8" in Paddle Party? You'll have to try it to find out...

Oh DOH!!! For some reason, I confused "Press 8" with this easter egg. :dunce:

Oh DOH!!! For some reason, I confused "Press 8" with this easter egg. :dunce:

That's okay, I did talk about them both at once. I was trying to "hint" that the Hockey Robots easter egg might be activated in a similar manner...

(Sigh. In the old days, the NES had complicated button sequences like "up up down down left left right right right..." to activate easter eggs and special options. And somehow, players would find out these sequences. Now in 2013, I can't get people to try single button pushes and see what happens...)

It's Saturday, the day after my birthday, and I'm still in "me, me, me, me!" mode, so I've decided to spend the day playing Intellivision. :)

My first choice was Christmas Carol, but since it's still packed in a box in the closet somewhere, it will have to wait. I guess I'll have to play Paddle Party instead. :lol:

I opened the box (finally!) and inserted the cartridge, and I decided to find out what is this Hockey Robots of Death thing once and for all. So I did. Very cool mini-game! I like it a lot! I haven't played the others yet (I will right after I finish posting this), but I'm already wondering why it wasn't included in the official line-up--it's really good.

The only thing I find a bit of a minor inconvenience is that there's no acceleration on the paddle control. That is, if I want to move the paddle from one end of the screen to the other, it feels a bit sluggish. I hope this is just due to it being a mere easter egg, and not a limitation of the game controls for the rest of the games.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of my first try:

post-27318-0-08649000-1387027885_thumb.jpg

I don't want to give away the secret activation code, so all I will say is that, it's not 8. It's also not 0 through 6, nor greater than 9 ;)

• Like 1

dZ -

Thanks for checking out "Hockey Robots of Death". You are the first person to try it who wasn't on the development team, as far as I know.

This game came together at the last minute (literally), months after the manual and overlays were done. So it couldn't be an official game.

The problem with physics is - the faster the paddle goes, the faster the puck has to go to keep the paddle from passing through it. So it is hard to find a good compromise. Sorry if it feels bit sluggish to you.

Pretty good score for a first round. Thanks for playing...

Catsfolly

I think the mallet being 'sluggish' and the puck being super quick is part of the challenge....

You aren't patient enough Catsfolly! I just told people there were a few Easter eggs and left it at that! I AM surprised that you pretty much had to tell them it was there.

Yeah, it's hard to be patient sometimes. I wrote a game, people bought it, so I want them to find it and play it!

I'm sure people would have found "Hockey Robots" eventually. But I thought if I revealed now that there was a cool, one player, extra game in Paddle Party it might convince some "on the fence" type people to buy Paddle Party now (before the Classic Games shutdown), and then you'd have a few less copies to ship to Thailand. :)

Catsfolly

Edited by catsfolly
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's hard to be patient sometimes. I wrote a game, people bought it, so I want them to find it and play it!

I'm sure people would have found "Hockey Robots" eventually. But I thought if I revealed now that there was a cool, one player, extra game in Paddle Party it might convince some "on the fence" type people to buy Paddle Party now (before the Classic Games shutdown), and then you'd have a few less copies to ship to Thailand. :)

Catsfolly

Tell me about it. There are easter eggs and secret messages in Christmas Carol from the first day of its release, and I still feel compelled to give them away in order for people to find them. Case in point, the hints I provide in the CvW thread.

I'm sure some enterprising elf would find them eventually. However, due to the niche nature of our community, the chances of such an obsessive person taking the dissection of our games as their personal challenge, is rather slim. This is not the SNES, where kids hunt down game secrets and trade them like currency, as much as we would like it to be. ;)

-dZ.

However, due to the niche nature of our community, the chances of such an obsessive person taking the dissection of our games as their personal challenge, is rather slim. This is not the SNES, where kids hunt down game secrets and trade them like currency, as much as we would like it to be. ;)

-dZ.

So true. As a middle age dude with no patience and no short term memory, I just accept that I'll never find any Easter eggs.