IGNORED

What are you playing on your PlayStation 4?

Algus

I've bought other games, but honestly the only ones I seem to play are Warframe (soooooo addicting) and Pinball Arcade (tons of fun!). Didn't care for ACIV, but then again I didn't like the last one I played (ACII), so maybe it's just not my cup of tea. Didn't like Killzone to be honest.

I've bought other games, but honestly the only ones I seem to play are Warframe (soooooo addicting) and Pinball Arcade (tons of fun!). Didn't care for ACIV, but then again I didn't like the last one I played (ACII), so maybe it's just not my cup of tea. Didn't like Killzone to be honest.

Ok whats up with Warframe?

Seems half the crowd is kind of "meh" on it and the other half are rabid fans.

Should I download and give it shot? Is it an FPS? Seems like there are weapons like swords and stuff. Multiplayer only?

Ok whats up with Warframe?

Seems half the crowd is kind of "meh" on it and the other half are rabid fans.

Should I download and give it shot? Is it an FPS? Seems like there are weapons like swords and stuff. Multiplayer only?

The people who are meh about it haven't played it long enough. Like IGN's review, who admitted he didn't get past mastery rank 2, and never fused cards. If you're only going to play for a couple hours, this game IS NOT for you.

So you're probably asking, why do they rate it poorly in the beginning then? Well, the game purposely gives you crap weapons in the beginning. The sword is annoying to use, and feels like it jumps your character around too much, your gun feels like it's shooting pop corn at the enemy and not bullets, and you have no abilities at your disposal while being completely squishy and weak.

The problem with the game... and I do mean THE problem with the game... is that nothing is explained. So if you go in going, "la la la la la", play for an hour, can't figure things out, and get frustrated that the game is handing you your own butt, then yeah. You'll hate the game.

It's only when you figure out how to properly play does the game get REALLY good. Like.. game of the year good. You see, you need to fuse cards. Fusion can be done to any card to boost it's rank up. Each card has a different number of "slots" that can be ranked up and filled up. Each slot you fill will boost the power of the card. Read this carefully: THIS IS HOW EVERY UPGRADE IN THE GAME IS DONE.

You see, what reviewers like IGN's are doing is going to the store, and BUYING WITH REAL MONEY all these "cool" guns. When they play, they still can't even get to planet Earth because the game is too hard, and they're left wondering "WTF is going on?". They get bored or annoyed and rage quit. The thing is, you can buy all the cool guns and swords you want, but it won't really make you that much more powerful.

Every weapon has card slots that you can equip mod cards to. These mod cards get more powerful when you fuse them with either fusion cores or other cards. As you level your warframe or your gun/sword, it gives you more points to use. Each mod card costs points to equip. For warframes, there are also an Aura card slot. An Aura card GIVES you points to equip mod cards. You see, the game, while limiting your weapons and character to level 30, allows you to keep upgrading by providing you different ways to give you more points. You can also "polarize" card slots, meaning that once you reach level 30, you can use an item called "forma" to start all over again at "no rank" and go to level 30 again. Why would you want to do that, you ask? Well, if you change the symbol of a card slot to the same symbol of a card, it costs you HALF the amount of points.

Basically, this is a game you'll play for a LONG TIME, and you'll have to to progress your character. I've put in over 300 hours so far. If you put the time in, you become near godly, and it's like playing as a sci-fi character like Magneto or something. Hard to explain. You can then reach any planet you want, etc etc, and have a blast.

There are also "alert missions", which pop up about every 15-30 minutes. These are custom missions that will give you either lots of credits or rare items. It keeps the game fresh.

You can also later on build or join a clan, and actually build a dojo with countless rooms and decorations. You can then trade mod cards with people, etc etc. Which again, makes you more powerful.

Here's the major thing newbie people (like IGN) don't seem to understand. EVERYTHING IN THE GAME CAN BE EARNED WITHOUT BUYING IT. Other than color packs and the like (for cosmetic upgrades), everything can be built using the Foundry system. As you play you collect resources. Once you find a blueprint (or buy it with in game credits that you earn by playing levels) you can use these resources to build any warframe, gun, or sword. What's awesome is, if you do research, you can find out exactly what level drops what item, thus you can find any blueprint for anything, period. To put it lightly, the last time I spent real money on Warframe was my second week of play.

Spending real money is for people to "progress faster", despite not really giving you much more power as like I said, the mod cards are where it's at, and you can't really buy those.. you earn them.

I could go into other things like the Void, and Prime warframes and weapons, which are even more powerful/special. And Deterelect missions, or other countless things IGN never even experienced. Suffice it to say, the game is HUGE and will not get old or boring as long as you PLAY THE GAME RIGHT. Yes, the controls kinda suck (esp for melee) when you are fresh and new. Yes, you are squishy when you first start. But they do this purposely to give you a reason to upgrade by playing the game.

Before I end my little rant, to give you an idea of how much more powerful you can get by using mod cards, let's say you have a warframe that only has 200 shields and 200 health. You can use Vitality mod cards to increase health, or Redirection mod cards to increase shields. If you get your Vitality to 300%, you're now at 600 health. Same with redirection, and you're at 600 shields. You didnt' need to buy a new warframe. But you're already infinitely more powerful. And these are with base stats! So if you level up your warframe, this will only increase as well.

Same with weapons. Mod cards can add ANYTHING to a warframe or weapon. Ammo clip size, ammo amounts, ability power, ability power consumption, item drop counts, freeze/fire/electricity damage (which you can combine to get radiation, magnetic, explosion etc damage), running speed, bullet punch-through to kill enemies behind enemies, double shot to essentially get a double damage without blowing extra ammo, etc etc etc etc.

IGN couldn't figure out Fusion in their short playthrough. Which means all these extra mechanics they never experienced in depth. They never learned about crit damage, or elemental damage, or anything. They never learned that your sentinel droid could be built without blowing real money, and they certainly never learned your sentinel droid can actually repeatedly refill your shields 100% if you're in trouble. Or even that you can "program" your droid by putting mod cards in a certain order, completely changing it's personality and his priorities.

They didn't learn because this isn't a game you can form an opinion about in 5 hours, but they needed a review, so they played for a few hours and crapped out a turd of a review. I don't mean to keep mentioning IGN, but it's a perfect example of those who said they didn't like the game. Because I haven't met anyone who's put in at least 50 hours into the game that said the game was bad. Everyone who says it sucks played it for "15 minutes then deleted it", or tops a couple hours. For those who actually PLAY Warframe, reviews like IGN are literally a laughing stock, as they're so embarrassingly bad that you can't even believe they were done by a "professional". To put it lightly, it's as if they explained OoT as "You're this green cloaked guy, and you're on Earth, but it's like old Earth or something, and you can use a sword to kill people, and you do this for a while till the game ends". It's a joke.

Do yourself the favor and dload the game and give yourself time to get into it's building and fusion aspects. Make your crumby character amazing with mod cards. And for the love of god, pick any starter warframe BUT Loki. Loki sucks... hard.

For a much better explanation, check out my review and article about the game as the above writing is confusing at best, I know :). Heck, I should upgrade the review, because even that review is out of date in terms of what I know now versus then. But it's at least a better starting point than IGN or any other big-site review which won't explain diddly squat.

http://www.gaikokugamers.com/2013/11/warframe-beta-written-review-ps4.html

http://www.gaikokugamers.com/2013/12/how-not-to-review-online-games.html

Edited by DaytonaUSA
  • Like 3

For a much better explanation, check out my review and article about the game as the above writing is confusing at best,

Awesome thanks for taking the time to explain because reviews didn't explain much at all.

I actually did download it on day 1 but removed it because it locked up on me and then I was too busy with other games to bother downloading it again. (It locked on the autoupdate it does when you first install it)

I downloaded "Don't Starve" and was totally bewildered trying to figure out what the heck the game was: no instructions, no tutorial, no real game objective stated, no nothing. But I played around with it for an hour, discovered many things about the game & the world involved, and am now addicted to this little sucker.

Everything is random and everything has to be discovered and figured out. A true puzzle game that is a blast of fun. For me, this is the first game released, either disk based or digital, that has really made me fire up the PS4 on a regular basis.

Brilliant game.

Awesome thanks for taking the time to explain because reviews didn't explain much at all.

I actually did download it on day 1 but removed it because it locked up on me and then I was too busy with other games to bother downloading it again. (It locked on the autoupdate it does when you first install it)

Please remember, the game is beta. Which honestly is pretty impressive considering all the things it does right. But yeah, sometimes you encounter lag, weird animation issues, and messed up textures. And very rarely, it can crash. It's far from perfect technically, but on a "fun" level it's about as close to a 10/10 as I can imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

Please remember, the game is beta. Which honestly is pretty impressive considering all the things it does right. But yeah, sometimes you encounter lag, weird animation issues, and messed up textures. And very rarely, it can crash. It's far from perfect technically, but on a "fun" level it's about as close to a 10/10 as I can imagine.

I found the game fun and addictive when I tried it. However, I have not played it since. I was trying to figure out why when it hit me. It's the same reason I would play the Borderlands games offline, by myself. I can't stand when I want to tactfully fight enemies and explore a game while people I'm playing with are racing through, trying to experience as little as possible. If I don't race through with them, I'll get no kills/points or have any fun. I hate feeling rushed.

Your review has inspired me to try it again, but I am worried about the Borderlands style issue of stopping for two seconds to look at something and being three rooms behind the "race to the end" type people. It takes a lot of the challenge away.

Did anyone (other than Daytona) pick up Pinball Arcade? If so, any comments on how it is would be appreciated!

I forced myself to swallow my pride and get it. It's half off if you own the PS3 version (unlike free like Zen Pinball is).

Its solid and the graphics look great. At first I thought I didn't see much difference until I went back and played the PS3 version. It's mainly the lighting IMO.

here are the improvements:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/12/whats_improved_in_the_pinball_arcade_on_playstation_4

I think it's worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, well Madden is actually really good. I've thought the series has been fairly rubbish ever since the 360/PS3 came out. The problem was it was so buggy and slow. Menus just lagged, textures popped in slow, nothing was silky smooth. Sure part of that was frame rate issues.

Visuals aren't anything special, faces maybe a bit more detailed than on PS3, but man everything just runs better. Silky smooth gameplay. I like it. I'm in the midst of downloading still so only a couple of modes are open to me right now, but it ought to be a good way to kill the offseason.

Wow, well Madden is actually really good.

Your kidding right? ;)

I gave it one more chance a few years back and saw the crummy ad's in the game like Snickers and Subway and vowed never to touch it again. How are the ad's imposed on you now? Not during the game or anything right? I also thought the players moved rather sluggishly and slow back then but see I've always been a 2K fan that defected from Madden way back when it started to become the same old game year after year.

Well it is still Madden, even with a fresh coat of paint and a higher frame rate. I don't regard the ads as intrusive since they essentially imitate what an actual TV broadcast would look like. Running game is still a bit clunky, but the sprint animations look a little better now. I wouldn't rate it better than ESPN 2k5, which remains the best football game out there IMO.

But it is good for Madden. Like, really good. At least as playable as the last few on original Xbox were

Please post your thoughts on the game. I've been considering buying it but not sure if I'd enjoy the stealth-intense game play.

No do not buy it, let my mistake save you money. I would highly recommend Dishonored (360 or PS3) though. I finished it twice (for the different endings) and now may do it again to get the bad taste of Thief out of my mouth.

Its hard to recommend especially having played the last generation game Dishonored which in my opinion is superior in every way. The IGN review is spot on for Thief, especially with the horrible city map and trying to navigate it. Simply going from one mission to the next is a horrible chore with no fast travel and no jump button.

If your not sure about 100% stealth then Dishonored is the best thing to play since in that game you can go all out with your powers and kill as well as play it as a 100% stealth game. You can mix the two and the storyline adjusts accordingly. Great game that truly makes a difference on how you play it.

Not so with Thief, you can just kill people but the whole game becomes meaningless if you do. In Dishonored there are consequences for your actions good and bad plus everything is so much better. The controls, the powers, the characters etc.

If you want more (negative) details here they are:

- Very hallow generic game, not much life in it and the storyline doesn't help either. The characters are all rather bland and uninteresting. The acting could be a bit better and the animations sometimes come off as cheezy or last generation quality. Overall I'm not sure I like the Joaquin Phoenix look of Garrett or his sidekicks.
- Loot is everywhere which can be a bad thing since your constantly hitting square\X collecting things. Not sure why we need to see an animation of him swiping stuff every single time.
- No fast travel.The city is absolutely horrendous to navigate. The map is almost useless and the minimap does not equate to the full map when pinned. (Example North on the main map is South on the mini map which adds to the confusion). The maze like city only serves to frustrate you when your simply going to another side mission which is only a block away. Not once have I went from one mission to another without some form of annoyance. Its pointless to avoid guards as it does not affect the game so it comes to a point many times where I simply sprint from one area to the next having mobs chase me. Wait for cool down and exit to the next area.
- No jumping and relying on the auto-contextual navigation that the game assumes you want to do makes you fall down or hump a wall like an idiot while your trying to figure out how to go behind or over a house just so you can reach the next side mission. The side missions as much as some people enjoy them are a joke. Often times a simple looting of something becomes a chore with navigating to get there as I mentioned. Just not worth it. The main missions for me are where it's at for the most part and sneaking around is still fun except when you have to navigate the city.
Overall the game is sometimes fun, mostly a chore and not worth the money at all. It has value in the $20-$30 range because you can adjust a ton of settings (none that makes the game necessarily better) but I can't recommend this especially for die hard Thief fans because it's way different from the older games.
Nice try but hopefully Square Enix and Eidos Montreal have better luck on a sequel or better yet let someone else do it.
Edited by cimerians