IGNORED

What are you playing on your PlayStation 4?

Algus

Hand of Fate.

post-25413-0-22688900-1428227244_thumb.jpg

Only discovered this game while doing a random search for "RPG" to see if there was any of my kind of RPG on the horizon. There isn't and this isn't it, but it is a very tidy game.

If you liked Fighting Fantasy or Choose Your Own Adventure books then playing this game might be a great way to relive some of those fond memories in a novel way.

The game is based around decks of cards: items and encounters. Wait though, it's not a dull or geeky as it might seem! There are a number of dungeons, each level of which is formed from your currently selected set of encounter cards from your deck. The appearances of these levels seem to be randomly selected from a pre-existing set of layouts. It's turn-based, with each turn requiring 1 unit of food. There are good and bad encounters and some that can go both ways, RNG is done away with slightly as any chance encounter is played out through weighted 4-card shuffles that can be bettered using a quick eye as well as luck and elimination of possibilities. You are introduced to a more varied and powerful array of enemies as you progress - as you level up your own abilities and deck your enemies and their powers and curses increase also.

You unlock more cards as you progress, and even playing through to a boss encounter and death can offer more card unlocks that can make your deck more powerful next time out... and these cards can lead to others and so on. It gets quite interesting!

The actual fighting takes place in real-time arenas, some of which are small and tight, others are more open and have better cover. Various traps exist to keep yourself and your enemies on their toes. Combat mechanics are possibly one of the weaker aspects of the game, as it attempts a kind of Assassin's Creed/Batman hit/counter/block/special sort of thing with the 4 main action buttons and the triggers, but it's not nearly as refined as Batman and not as slick as Assassin's Creed. It's far from weak... just sort of standard and a bit rough. The enemies do offer a variety in their abilities and the way you have to approach each of them, when they're mixed in together it can be more of a challenge.

One of the surprisingly great things is the dealer who sits opposite you, his varied speech and general demeanour are well above what you might expect from even a large budget physical release - in an indie game it stands out as being really special.

I heard someone say this game is greater than the sum of its parts and that's absolutely spot on. Nothing is truly amazing or revolutionary except for the way that it has all been brought together to form something that is a special little title that most people will unfortunately miss out on.

I can't see it being the kind of game to appear on psplus any time soon, although I have read of the possibility of further content via DLC at some point and that can often be a trigger, but with that in mind I suggest anyone who has a wet weekend before them and nothing much to do, grab this and lose yourself for a few hours or days, it's really worth a look.

post-25413-0-60930900-1428227253_thumb.jpg

post-25413-0-05606200-1428227262_thumb.jpg

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 2

Same here, if its similar to Fighting Fantasy I'm all in. The name they gave it kind of stinks and when I saw cards I skipped it. Have to try this out though I like one of the reviews it got ""A roguelike choose-your-own-adventure with deck building and Arkham-esque action sequences. Should be a mess, but it isn't. It's pretty lovely! "

The name they gave it kind of stinks and when I saw cards I skipped it.

It's funny - I keep thinking that maybe I did see this game at some point, saw the cards, and then immediately thought 'screw Magic the Whatever this is'

It probably should be a mess, but it just does things right...

Another problem that might have prevented me from seeing it and remembering is the incredible abuse of the word 'roguelike' these days. Being a Nethack fan for oh forever now I suppose, I could never imagine that I would see in my life an endless explosion of games with 'roguelike' stamped on them. Now some of them have been good mind you, but I've seen so many that really have almost nothing to do with 'roguelike' and should never have had that label slapped on.

It's funny - I keep thinking that maybe I did see this game at some point, saw the cards, and then immediately thought 'screw Magic the Whatever this is'

It probably should be a mess, but it just does things right...

Another problem that might have prevented me from seeing it and remembering is the incredible abuse of the word 'roguelike' these days. Being a Nethack fan for oh forever now I suppose, I could never imagine that I would see in my life an endless explosion of games with 'roguelike' stamped on them. Now some of them have been good mind you, but I've seen so many that really have almost nothing to do with 'roguelike' and should never have had that label slapped on.

lol yes!

"Cards" I almost always skip and when I see "Rogue-like" on Steam I read the description and either skip or check into it further cause your right everything is rogue-like these days. I've seen people use it to describe old AD&D paper and pencil role playing games and I'm waiting for someone to call an old arcade game rogue-like like Sinistar or Defender.....where you simply just die a lot.

I have to admit I fall into that trap sometimes when someone asks me about a game where its sort of random or you die a lot - "Its rogue-like you will hate it" ...but yeah I totally agree most games are far from what Rogue or Nethack (which I played) were.

If anyone had a ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 or grew up in the 80's playing computer games....Rock Boshers DX is a lot of fun. I took a chance and picked it up, it's almost like a Robotron meets Dig Dug game with computer like sounds and graphics from the aforementioned machines. I think the graphics will only appeal to those who played Atari's and Commodore's though but its really good.

• Like 1

It was Destiny but, I don't know, it just got old doing the same missions over and over and over and over......Was hoping for more of a story. Don't get me wrong the gameplay is good but just gets stale. I do jump back into BF4 every now and then for some MP goodness.

and over and over and over and over and over and...

• Like 2

and over and over and over and over and over and...

over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...

• Like 1

Hope to finish Axiom Verge on my next day off. Loving it so far.

I heard it's a tribute to Metroid, I will buy that at some point.

Playing through Metro 2033 Redux first before I start Last Light. I have the original Metro 2033 for PC, but the enhancements were worth the purchase for me. Much more easier to be stealthy this time around and the controller light dims when you're in the shadows. Pretty cool.

I have Redux and beat both games although I enjoyed Last Light a whole lot more. Metro 2033 was good but more annoying...the part where you fall through the pits and the white gorillas was brutal. Nice remakes for sure, the graphics and atmosphere are top notch.

I'm going to try and start playing Final Fantasy Type-0 HD.
Also browsing this thread made me realize that Axiom Verge had finally come out... Sad that I missed it at the initial sale price, but I have been looking forward to this game regardless!
Bought that game as well and looking forward to good times with both titles.

• 2 weeks later...

I beat Axiom Verge a few days ago... HIGHLY suggest that to anybody who enjoys Metroid or Castlevania style of games. (Screw you Metroidvania term! You're not my real dad!)
Up next is SHOVEL KNIGHT! I previously got this as a Kickstarter reward, but I rebought it on the PS4 because it's such a great title.

For those curious about Axiom Verge... Here's some platforming gameplay I recorded. (I meant to get some of the fighting bits but missed it.)

Clip 1

Clip 2

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If anyone had a ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 or grew up in the 80's playing computer games....Rock Boshers DX is a lot of fun. I took a chance and picked it up, it's almost like a Robotron meets Dig Dug game with computer like sounds and graphics from the aforementioned machines. I think the graphics will only appeal to those who played Atari's and Commodore's though but its really good.

Thanks for the review Cimerians!

I bought Rock Boshers DX last night for $4.49 on sale! Had fun playing it, and I look forward to playing it some more. I chose the "old school" graphics, which appeals more to me. I reccomend this game as well!

Edited by YarsRevengeFan

I chose the "old school" graphics, which appeals more to me.

Me too heheh.....I'm having a hard time beating Area 3, Level 20: "Jam".

Also these guys make another game called Aquakitty. If you played Seaquest on Atari 2600 and loved it....then this is a must buy!

I would also look at some games from Puppygames as they are pretty cool arcade like remakes with a twist. Titan Attacks is one of them. Steam has these on sale for really cheap but its easier to just fire up the PS4 and play these for a quick fix.

• Like 1

I just got the platinum trophy for Diablo III, so I'm going to try and move on. I have completed most of the in game challenges and acquired all the trophies, but I still want to keep playing. It just keep getting better and better.

I picked Samurai Warriors 4 back up after a long break. Excellent game. I'll be playing it all night tonight.