IGNORED

What are you playing on your PlayStation 4?

Algus

Still going through Nier:Automata. Was surprised by the abrupt "ending", although apparently it's set up to do multiple stories with repeated plays. I got endings A, B, and G. (G being rather ... short, to say the least.) I was starting in on the third one this morning but died before I could get to save it. I'll give it another attempt later this week.

Finished the main storyline of Witcher 3 today. Thank heavens the GotY contains both Add-Ons too - Hearts of Stone, here I come!

So, Heart of Stone is also done. It' somewhat okay - it never reaches the level of the main storyline, but it's a rather long and entertaining sidequest worth the time it takes. I'm looking forward to Blood & Wine now :)

Ok, done with Nier:Automata. While they did a lot of things "just right", and there's certainly enough to enjoy in the game, there are a few things that piss me off about it.

1. Ingame "creative advertising" of the DLC expansion. There are 3 locked elevators you can find in the game, one in each of the three main areas. (Desert, Forest, and Flooded Coast) where there's a little robot beginning forgiveness because "there's nothing at all behind this door!" etc etc. Those doors lead to the arenas that are in the DLC. An eternal reminder of what my 79.99+tax never got me. I sure as hell won't be shelling out the 19 bucks or whatever it would cost me (in canada) to purchase it. If you purchase the DLC that silly robot is replaced with a resistance member you can bribe to get in. We can assume at the very least that it isn't an unlock code given the DLC is a 3 gigabyte download.

2. More of a facepalm reaction for this part, but after completing the game's C or D endings, one of the members in the resistance camp basically goes "I can unlock some things for you, wink wink nudge nudge" (paraphrased). The guy's talking about trophies/achievements/etc. You don't want to do the things required to get all the trophies? No problem. Just pay (ingame money) 50k-200k per trophy you're missing. Since I was now done with the game for the most part over my distaste for issue #1 above, I used the quick-money trick (also only available when you can freely jump between chapters - ie time jump) to build up a few extra million and bought the remaining ones. This is just another fine example of how meaningless trophies and shit can be. Although granted when you have some games that are linear in nature giving you trophies for simply playing the game to point A or B or whatever - ie: unavoidable events, this shouldn't be a surprise or revelation to anybody.

3. The "Good Ending", Ending E, is probably not possible unless you're online. You actually have to do the hacking game in the credits. And if you die, then you have to continue/redo parts. And once you get to a particular point, it's damned near insane/impossible to do unless you're online and get "help" from other players that have already completed the game. (essentially extra ships show up to help your hacking, and they tend to replace themselves as you go. This is fine for now, I guess, but getting the good ending will probably be near impossible after the game is no longer supported on psn+ or whatever. I guess the PC version has it better here, but still a negative thing as far as I'm concerned. It also turns on server access to PSN or whatever when you do that, and leaves it on for you to turn off later.

4. During one of the endings, you get asked a question by the pod about whether or not you believe in helping the weak, etc etc. Apparently if you answer Yes to this particular question and it's confirmation, the game DELETES YOUR SAVE FILE. I didn't get affected by this personally, I just read it in the FAQ I glanced over after I was done. But you can imagine how I'd have felt if everything I'd done for the last 40 hours (not in one sitting!) was deleted out from under me.

I'll likely play this once in a while anyway going forward but it's days in the spotlight for me are now over. And the ingame DLC "creative advertising" (As NIS America justified the practice years ago with the first Nepunia game) will have a small (to SquareEnix) price to pay on their bottom line. This kind of shit annoys the hell out of me - if it's DLC, leave it COMPLETELY out of the game unless it's bought. No hints, no samples, no nothing in the base game otherwise. As such I won't be buying any more SquareEnix games for the next few years. :)

They're lucky I already have Final Fantasy XV purchased.

Finished Shantae: Risky's Revenge. Next week's game night I'll be starting in on Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception. Between now and Saturday I may try another speed run through Shantae to get the endings I didn't get. (Got 2 of 4 this weekend. Was 20 minutes off from getting a third apparently.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WipeOut Omega Collection, kicking it off right after work until I get a seizure from all the flashy lights and speed.

So hyped for this game, its unreal; last time I spend some proper time with this was on the PS1, since I skipped the entire PS3 era, and don't get me started on @#*&$ Fusion.

• Like 2

Mafia 3 and it's awesome! The mouths & teeth look a little weird on the close ups in the cinematics and sure, some of the in game properties get reused a couple times but that doesn't hold it back from having great game play. Such an amazing story to go along with it too. If you like open world 3rd person shooters a la far cry, gta, watch_dogs than Mafia 3 might be up your alley. The soundtrack is pretty bitchin' too. Everything from the Stones to Jhonny Cash.

plays a bit like how the old .hack games use to play in some ways. Although it has a big relationship system set up for interacting with the npcs, and of course a big anime style to the whole thing.

I'm starting to get use to the battle system, but only cleared the first floor so far. I'm at the boss for the second floor. (floor 77)

While I'm liking it well enough, I'm glad I picked it up cheap during the golden week sale a few months back.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Touhou Double Focus that I got in the last flash sale. Now going back to Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment. Taking my time with that one, probably more so than I really need to. I'm seriously over leveled for the main floors outside the hollow area at any rate. (lv121. Apparently lv120 is enough to finish the main game section)

Ms. Pac-Man on the Playstation 4 is a good port, making up for the disappointment that was on Pac-Man Museum. However... the download is 793 megs?! What the hell could possibly justify that? It's just Ms. Pac-Man.

Probably an emulator to run it? ;) Worse case, a dedicated emulator for every game in the museum!

Or perhaps it's like 50megs for the game, 743 megs for the drm encryption?

Perhaps it's all just padded files filled with random 1s and 0s because they were told only big downloads are considered cool by kids these days.

I could keep going on, but I do agree with you. nearly 800megs is crazy. If I were looking at it on the store I'd probably decide against buying it based on size alone given how little space my 500gig ps4 has left on it already. Having such a limited capacity when game sizes are so huge this gen, even with the ability to plug in extra space, it makes it far easier for me to avoid impulse buys in sales - to the detriment to sony's and game devs/publishers bottom line.

Ms. Pac-Man on the Playstation 4 is a good port, making up for the disappointment that was on Pac-Man Museum. However... the download is 793 megs?! What the hell could possibly justify that? It's just Ms. Pac-Man.

Lol, you can find the most simple, retro-looking pixelated game on the PS4 and the size will be 500mb - 1gb. Must be a bunch of runtime stuff that gets included in the binaries

Probably an emulator to run it? ;) Worse case, a dedicated emulator for every game in the museum!

Or perhaps it's like 50megs for the game, 743 megs for the drm encryption?

Perhaps it's all just padded files filled with random 1s and 0s because they were told only big downloads are considered cool by kids these days.

I could keep going on, but I do agree with you. nearly 800megs is crazy. If I were looking at it on the store I'd probably decide against buying it based on size alone given how little space my 500gig ps4 has left on it already. Having such a limited capacity when game sizes are so huge this gen, even with the ability to plug in extra space, it makes it far easier for me to avoid impulse buys in sales - to the detriment to sony's and game devs/publishers bottom line.

That's a lot for even an emulator. Even the extremely bloated Mame is about 150mb now.

I have been playing Tekken 7 this past week. I stayed up late last night finishing the final trophies and picked up the platinum. I'm not a trophy hunter, but with how much I enjoy Tekken games, it isn't tough for me to play them until platinum.

Other than that, it's been a bit of Overwatch and Killing Floor 2.