IGNORED

What are you playing on your PlayStation 4?

Algus

Horizon Zero Dawn

"I started this a couple days ago and wow, it is a dream game. TONS to do, amazingly gorgeous engine, action packed combat, perfect camera for a 3P game, solid soundtrack, great voice acting, interesting story, WICKED enemies, HUGE map! I have the Complete Edition and I'm in love."

MUST PLAY title!!!

• Like 1

I finally got around to playing and finishing Bioshock Infinite, which means I was able to play and complete all 3 Bioshock games for the first time for me during this year.

Infinite was pretty amazing. Certainly better than part 2, but I still think I consider the original to be my favorite. Going into the game, I had heard and read a lot about Elizabeth and how amazing of an addition to the game she was. Before playing, I couldn't understand how big of a deal she could possibly be, but now that I've finished the game, all I can say is, I get it.

I'm currently playing through the Burial at Sea expansion for Infinite. I was really happy to get back to the Rapture setting, but damn it if it isn't difficult. Ammo is super scarce for some reason. Still fun though.

Overall, I think that Bioshock may very well be one of the best 3 game series that I've ever played, and paying $20 for a new copy of the Bioshock Collection on PS4 might be one of the best gaming values I've had in recent memory (maybe ever).

• Like 1

While at PRGE 2 weeks ago, LRG was there with many PS4 titles not currently available to order from their website on sale. As a result, I picked up the Wonder Boy remake and...

Thimbleweed Park.

I started playing TWP just this past Saturday... and I'm really enjoying it! I knew going in what it would be like of course as I'm a big fan of the LucasArts Adventure games on PC during the 90s owning most of them. But oddly Maniac Mansion while I do own it, I've never managed to actually beat it and it wasn't ever one of my favorites back in the day. So I wasn't prepared for all the MM references in TWP. But having said that, this game has been a really great time just playing it and exploring etc.

Can't wait to get back to it!

• 2 weeks later...

Dangerous Golf. It's on sale for $5 in the PSN store right now. Fun little game where you smash interiors with a golf ball for points. Smash specific things in the room for bonuses,ect. Nice mindless fun kinda game. A group of folks the programmed the Burnout car racing\smashing games formed their own studio (only 11 of them) and this was their first independent offering. Game is 2 years but I'm just playing it for the first time now due to the sale price. I don't think I would have been happy with it at the full $20 price tag but for $5 you can't go wrong.

Playing Marisa & Alice in Trap Tower... Japan PSN exclusive. Extremely difficult retro-inspired puzzle platformer with simultaneous split screen play. Hitting switches or timers on one side of the screen triggers events on the other side. Constantly switch back and forth to maneuver through 80 levels filled with insta-death traps. Fun game if you like a challenge... deserves a US release.

Finally fired up Last Guardian this weekend. I Like it but do find the controls a bit laggy and the camera straight up pisses me off sometimes. I'm also not a huge fan of the rag-doll like physics that the main little boy character I'm playing as exhibits. Seems he wants to run all the time and I can't quite find that happy medium in the forward motion of the thumbsticks to have him just walk sometimes. He is always sneaking or flat out full run causing some untimely deaths. Again...controls are my main issue with the game!

Took advantage of the sale to get Injustice 2 Legendary Edition, and played through story mode. Netherrealm has definitely mastered the fighting game story mode. I feel like I got my $18 worth just from that alone. Then I saw the loot boxes. Ugh.

Also picked up Final Fantasy VII and played a little bit. I want to get back into it and do a full playthru. I guess I'll see if I can commit.

I saw the announcement for Super Robot Wars T. Most of it was kinda meh. Still no Macross. But Captain Harlock will be in it with the Arcadia, so that will be cool. I'm looking forward to that one. To be honest, the only reason I bought a PS4 was so I could play the next installment of the Super Robot Wars series, so it's good to see that it's actually coming to the PS4.

I have a PS4 Pro, but I don't have a 4K TV yet. The upside to this is that it makes the choice between 4K and 60 FPS pretty easy. With Horizon Zero Dawn the 60 FPS was a night and day difference for me. Really enjoyed that.

I’m in the same boat, except I sold my PS4 pro. I sold it about a year ago. I’m trying to find a reason to buy a PS4 pro again. I originally purchased it to play Nex Machina, which is a great game that takes advantage of the extra power the pro has to offer. I’ve been waiting for the FF7 remake to get released, but that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen for a few more years.

Mainly I would like to have a current gen Console again, and I’ve always liked the RPGs that were exclusive to Sony. Horizon Zero Dawn looks really good, and the Last Guardian remake looks great. I’m just not sure I’ve found that one game to make the purchase again.

• 4 weeks later...

Back to playing Mudrunner again now that the "American Wilds" DLC is available. I hate getting the digital DLC, but I couldn't justify $40 for the same physical copy with the DLC included.

It's a great addition, and well worth the $10 for the download. I can't wait to see what they can do with a proper sequel.

Spidey is pretty legit. I'm not terribly good at it, but so far, I'm about a third of the way thru.

Road Retaliation is a Road Rash-y kind of game. Not sure if I like it yet. It runs pretty shabbily with lotsa screen tear and loading. It is a roguelike, so the challenges / missions are different every time, which is good. Maybe I'll get into it a bit more when I've unlocked more power ups.

The missus played Dream Daddy all day on Christmas Eve and enjoyed it... but we both agreed that it was good that I got it on sale. There's not enough game there for the full price.

Got Tetris Effect for Christmas. Definitely my game of the year. I had my doubts but I trust Tetsuya Mizuguchi, so I thought there had to be something more there than just Tetris with some particle effects. And there is, but you can really only see it when you experience it. That's kinda the whole point of the game, that it's designed to make it easier to get you into that "zone" you get in when playing a good game of Tetris. It's like the developers looked at what makes the original game so addicting and then did everything they could to get you into that state earlier and keep you in it longer. It's a very pure form of game design that I wish other developers would learn from, rather than just adding a bunch of features. They clearly tried to distill down to the one thing that makes Tetris great, and then do whatever they could to improve just that. And they succeeded.

My wife picked me up NHL 19 yesterday which was on sale from $80 to $30. I don't pay full price for sports games, especially when they're little more than roster updates anymore with a couple small new features. I'm actually surprised how bad the graphics are. Seeing shots of the players and especially the crowds it looks sometimes like NHL 2002 on the PC still.

I wish they'd bring back the "face in the game" feature which I haven't seen since 2002. PS4's have cameras it would be easy right? Besides, a team of Tavares, Matthews, Marner and Atarileaf would be unstoppable!

Got Spider-Man for Christmas and started it Tuesday morning. This morning I finished the story. So good. So very, very good. Still got a lot of side-mission-y stuff to finish up and swinging around is such a joy that I'm not ready to stop. I'll also probably buy the DLC just to have more to play. Insomniac did a REALLY GREAT job with the gameplay, the plot, the voice acting, the art, the...everything. Also, 4K + HDR looks good on my PS4 Pro even though my TV (TCL 55P605) isn't the brightest thing on earth. I can't believe how much fun I've had with a modern game. It's so rare these days.

2018 was a great year for games because there were two really spectacular ones - this and BattleTech on the PC.

Edited by derFunkenstein

Got Tetris Effect for Christmas. Definitely my game of the year. I had my doubts but I trust Tetsuya Mizuguchi, so I thought there had to be something more there than just Tetris with some particle effects.

Exactly my thought. On the one hand I was like "Do I really need another version of Tetris?" but on the other I was like "I love Rez and Lumines." Glad I took the plunge; it's a fantastic game.