IGNORED

What are you playing on your PlayStation 4?

Algus

I have never had an overheating issue. Just make sure to not keep it cooped up in an entertainment center or other small, boxed in place. Give it space on all sides and nothing over the top. The slim models will feel hotter to the touch than others since the guts are right up against the outer case.

As for the dust, use compressed air to blow out the vents when the system is off.

Does ps4 have overheating issues? I notice tons of dust on mine, but never hear the fan. It's either really quiet or rarely used. Maybe I play the wrong games and my tastes aren't power hungry though :D

I suppose different models could be different, but I hear the fan 100% of the time on mine, and it's pretty loud. It's always been that way. It's not unpleasant because it is a very large fan and it's more just the sound of air rushing than any sort of whine, but it's definitely obvious when the system is on.

Do you not hear it even when you're right up next to it? Which model of PS4 do you have? Mine was part of the Last of Us bundle; not a launch system but not too long after. (I don't know myself which exact system it is, but an early one before the Pro or Slim.)

Heh, wrong topic, that was supposed to be in that console case topic lol (how did that happen?)

Anyhow, good to know anyways. Mines the original model, I occasionally hear the fan come on low, but I figure I just don't have many game demands, most I play are older last gen stuff, or minecraft. Maybe if I busted out some modern graphic heavy game it would be noisier. Red faction is probably the most demanding game I currently play, and it's still a last gen title, I'd try to compare it if I still had my 360 copy.

I suppose different models could be different, but I hear the fan 100% of the time on mine, and it's pretty loud. It's always been that way ... Do you not hear it even when you're right up next to it? Which model of PS4 do you have?

Chiming in, after dealing with my extremely loud X360 fan for 10 years, I was concerned about ps4, but I got the 1TB Slim in September, and if the fan is running, I never hear it. Very quiet. Many report a loud fan on the Ps4 Pro, so I passed on it for that reason.

Generally speaking, Playstation has been slightly my favourite brand in recent years (well, the last 20).

So naturally, I end up spending more times with PS games.

Im currently playing -

Earth Defense Force 4.1 (a brain dead shooter but stupidly cathartic, if you like that sort of thing)

Gran Turismo Sport (frankly, Im not digging this one so much as previous ones. Something about the handling seems a bit off to me. Maybe more intended for wheel usage)

Railway Empire (picked up on a whim recently in a 70% off sale, lovely little strategy lite game)

WRC 5 (part of a bundle of WRC games bought in recent sale for bugger all. Ok, but not anything remarkable)

Star Ocean: Till the end of time (already owned on the PS2, but again, deep sale victim)

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 (the only EA game ive bought in recent years, and you guessed it - deep sale. About as close as im willing to get to "live services" *vomit*)

Minecraft (because sales, and because addiction)

Hard Reset Redux (an overlooked little shooter, with a really visceral feedback from mowing down tons of robots. Of course, from sales)

Recently finished -

Prey (absolutely loved it. Astraight up single player game with plenty of the hunt and collect stuff with bioshock like powerups and all. Good stuff, particularly when on sale, again).

.hack//GU Last Recode (didnt get the original PS2 versions over here in britain, iirc, so of courseit popped up in sales and I bit. Glad I did - the 3 original games plus A NEW ONE!)

Final Fantasy XII zodiac age (my favourite ff game, along with ix. Whats not to love about this?)

Gal Gun Double Peace (I particularly love stupidity, and that doesnt exclude pervy stuff like this. Batshit stupidity is close to fun, imo)

More telling for me is what Ive bought, also in those regular sales, or cheap online and either barely touched or not at all -

Onechanbara z2, Akiba's Trip, Lumo, world of final fantasy, divinity original sin, warhammer vermintide, ratchet and clank, final fantasy xv, star ocean IAF, ys origins, I am setsuna, undertale. Resident evil 4/5/6, everybodys golf, wipeout omega collection, pier solar, the long dark, batman return to arkham coll, resident evil vii, horizon zero dawn, shadow of mordor, yakuza kiwami, assetto corsa, gta v, nier automata. the sexy brutale, dying light the following, project cars 2, uncharted trilogy, a hat in time, hob, dungeons 2, yomawari midnight shadows, the last guardian, and a few more.

As far as the controller goes - I love it. I guess being a smaller guy, ps controllers are more suuited for me anyway. But the ps4 one is sublime. The right amount of tension on the joysticks and so natural to hold. Far, far more enjoyable and accurate for me when playing racing games than the xbox one, although that is still good enough.

I try to use the ps4 controller on my ps3 too. Ive either not had a lot of luck with recent ps3 games not recognising it though, or sony have pulled the feature (I hope not).

Apologies for the long post - thats just how I am.

Edited by crunchyfrog555

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing some Retro City Rampage again lately.. very engaging and funny game. It's filled with jokes and references. They went all out on this game. The killing sprees and other mini games are so addictive, it's hard to stop playing them- so much so I climbed the leaderboards on many and got 2nd in the world on one. I have almost hit 100% on this game and will probably keep playing after I do.

Since it finally arrived I played the first hour of Resident Evil 2 yesterday, but I'm sooo close to the platinum of Onimusha so I decided to finish that first. RE2 seems to be ace though. Fresh and familiar at the same time ;)

Other than updated camera and controls, i believe some new areas have been added, but they've removed the bats and spiders from some areas and not replaced them with anything?

Other than updated camera and controls, i believe some new areas have been added, but they've removed the bats and spiders from some areas and not replaced them with anything?

I'm 5 hours deep into the Leon campaign and haven't seen a spider or bat so far. But I had to cross path with a Licker, down to three bullets and one shotgun load. It's been a while since I was so terrified...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I can confirm that there aren't any bats or spiders in the RE2 remake, but there weren't bats in the original either. Maybe you are thinking of crows (which also aren't in the remake).

Your spot on..according to this, no bats in Resident Evil 2:

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Bat

It was a website comparison that said they were originally in Resident Evil 2.

Last time i played it was on the Dreamcast, so 19 years ago?.

Wow that is scary

Edited by Lost Dragon

GTA 5 is finally starting to work for myself.

I did not take to it on PS3, other than a general nod to Rockstar for getting to grips with the Playstation 3 hardware far better than they had earlier on in it's life.

Bought it again on Playstation 4, put some time into it, still was not feeling it, shelved it, came back to it recently, took a few days play and yeah, not bad.

I still feel the music selection and radio stations are lesser experiences than what i remember from GTA 3 and V.C but some very clever stuff going on with the main missions.

Lot more planning to pull missions off and fact your playing as 3 characters.

Not tried the online side yet.

GTA 5 is finally starting to work for myself.

I still feel the music selection and radio stations are lesser experiences than what i remember from GTA 3 and V.C but some very clever stuff going on with the main missions.

Lot more planning to pull missions off and fact your playing as 3 characters.

Not tried the online side yet.

I finished the story mode on GTA5 on both PS4 and PC. It is a weird game in that it's clearly technically better than earlier versions and things like control have been tightened up, but it's somehow missing something. The world starts to feel small after a while, and I personally was surprised when I finished the story both times because it felt super short. Also, I don't like how a lot of missions just disappear if you don't do everything in the right order. I think when I finished on PC, I had probably missed about 40% of the missions in the game. (I could go back to an earlier save but didn't feel like doing some of the later missions over a second time.)

I also have fond memories of Vice City (which I worked on!) and consider it the pinnacle of everything that makes the series great, but I'm also pretty sure that if I tried to play it again now, I'd be like "what the hell is this crap?!" because of the controls and graphics. Also, I'm sure I'm remembering both the length and the quality of the missions through... uh, rose colored glasses? That's not the right metaphor but you know what I mean.

I think one of the things about GTA5 for me is that a lot of the world is just kind of wasted. Most of the action takes place in two relatively small areas, but there are a ton of other places on the map that they obviously modeled to be pretty detailed but then nobody programmed any missions for them. If you fly around in the helicopter you can see all these locations that are just not used anywhere in the game. And that's what I think made the world feel small to me; only about 30% of it is actually used for missions. (Edit: or maybe those were the side missions I missed.)

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

First and foremost, huge thanks for your work whatever that may of been, on Vice City...such a marvellous experience all round.

You echo so many of my feelings with GTA 5. .so much attention to detail has gone into creating a living world, but sadly so little of it is given the opportunity to present itself in any real meaningful way.

It's just environment you drive through or fly over.

Put some more time in with GTA 5.

Trevor definitely saves the game for myself, love the character.

I'm finding the game feels far too over familar far too often and not in terms of previous GTA games either..

I'm a seasoned gamer who loved ST titles like Hunter and Midwinter II and aspects of GTA 5 missions remind me so much of these...

Then there are the Tomb Raider/Uncharted esq sections.

It's also annoying how each of the main missions seems to be a collection of little segments..with game constantly taking control away from you for a cinematic sequence then..back in the room..or character swap time.

I miss the days of approaching a mission in a manner of my choosing.

It just feels game is guiding me along far too much for what i expect from a GTA title.