IGNORED

What are you playing on your PlayStation 4?

Algus

Well, I had started playing Pyschonauts again as I got that in just before PRGE but then finally picked up a copy of The Outer Worlds the other night. Pretty cool so far what I've played. It is like the fallout but you have a ship and can sorta travel to other places in the system. But due to this, the area of exploration for each area is much smaller than any Fallout or Elder Scrolls game would be. Still, the character interaction has been really cool to listen to when you have different members in your party with you. I know it would look best on the PC, but I just can't handle the Epic store exclusive crap and this game is exclusive for like a year! So I picked it up on the PS4 for now. Still it looks pretty amazing graphically and unlike Fallout and Elder Scrolls, I've not run into any bugs yet.

Mass Effect Andromeda took up a few days of playtime,before boredom set in last night,maybe 3/4 way through main story arc?.

Picked it up new for under £10 and appreciate the more open environment combat, but i found the storyline and characters uninspiring, the lightbeam puzzles were generic fodder that's been in games since my 8 bit days.

Scanning for Glyph symbols and decoding Glyph encryption,then escaping, soon got tiresome. 

It just felt like too much of a retread and was really dragging. 

Franchise had it's day 

I have been doing an 'action adventure' marathon. Started with Uncharted Nathan Drake Trilogy, and now the nuRaider trilogy. Currently on Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which does not live up to the standard set by the first two. I like that there's more puzzle/exploration ratio to combat, but even that aspect isn't as good as the first two. I can tell I'm not that into the game because it's taking me weeks to make progress, where I blew through the other games in a matter of days.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the Atari Flashback Classics packs.  Mostly though I just boot up the second and play Adventure.

It doesn't look like they properly emulated the randomizer for GV#3.  Every first game I play has magnet below gold castle, Grundle to the right of that, Gold key in the first room of the dark maze, sword in the room to the south of the hall leading to the white castle, black key in the blue maze, Rhindle guarding the chalice in the first section of the black castle dark maze, and the bat flying around with the white key.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the main story of Grand Theft Auto V, which is a first for me with this franchise. Was an interesting game that held my attention to the end, unlike a playthrough of Red Dead Redemption last spring that started to wear thin by the end with too many repetitive missions. Still working on side stuff here, but I doubt I'll 100% everything. 

I never played GTA IV, but many complaints from the PS2 era games are addressed such as the combat that actually is enjoyable and checkpoints that prevent you from losing a ton of progress. That said, there were still annoyances as well. For an example, sometimes the game was too narrow in what it wanted me to do, taking me somewhat out of what's supposed to be an open world game when I had to play the game precisely how it expected me to play it at times.  

The radio was also extremely annoying to listen to, littered with poor music and amateurish attempts at social commentary. Only the classic country & western station played good music regularly, but even that is dragged down by a very annoying disc jockey and only a dozen or so songs. And while greatly toned down from the PS2 era, I felt like sometimes I was being caught for crimes that I shouldn't of been, such as proximity mines placed on a deserted country road yet instantly being wanted when minutes later a vehicle triggers it. And the conversations with the cutscenes could get pretty obnoxious at times, but happily can be skipped which I took advantage of three or four times.

I was also impressed by the lack of bugs here. Literally the only thing I saw that wasn't right was a car on the highway that suddenly blinked out of existence. Granted there have been patches and they've been supporting the game for years, but for such a large game, it's still impressive the state it's in today. 

Edited by Atariboy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sonic Forces was one of the PS+ games for March. It's a mess. I love most Sonic games too. Buying Sonic Mania a couple years ago when these both came out around the same time was a wise choice. If I had paid retail for Sonic Forces I would have been pissed. It tries to be a splash of many different Sonic games and fails. If you want a newer Sonic game on the PS4 get yourself Sonic Mania cause Sonic Forces is sure to disappoint in comparison.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Buying Sonic Mania a couple years ago when these both came out around the same time was a wise choice. ...  If you want a newer Sonic game on the PS4 get yourself Sonic Mania cause Sonic Forces is sure to disappoint in comparison.

On that note, I played Sonic Mania Plus on PS4 quite a bit in February and continuing on to this week. I've owned it over a year but really didn't master it or fully explore it until now.  Sonic Mania is awesome. I beat the main game with all the Chaos Emeralds, which wasn't a cakewalk either.  Then I kept replaying that cleared save file , mostly in Green Hill Zone over and over, trying to beat more Blue Spheres stages.  I also played through 2 rounds of Encore mode, with the double-characters which you can switch on-the-fly, and the new pinball bonus rounds where you can get lost characters back.  It is a nice "encore" and reworking of the stages.  Playing as Ray and Mighty feels fresh. So I think I'm starting to move on from SM now, but wanted to extol its virtues one more time!    

I also have started playing Shenmue III again - the DLC. I found all the Bailu Chan figures, some were quite cleverly hidden, even with a proximity radar some are hard to spot until you find the right placement an angle for Ryo.  These help to power-up Ryo for the Battle Rally DLC, where you run checkpoint-to-checkpoint to a Goal, monitoring your time as you try to quickly defeat different opponents. At first I was bewildered, but it got quite fun. You can run past some enemies and not fight them, of course your score will be pathetic if you do that too much, and the object of each race is highest score.  I've unlocked and played through all the rounds. Curiously, the Verdant Bridge race has crashed my PS4 twice.  I've never seen the PS4 crash before (it just reboots).  

Purchased a game that has been recommended to me for quite awhile and started it this weekend. Nier: Automata. Looks like I will be sinking some time into this one as just going from place to play takes some time. Explored the desert region for the first time last night for a mission. That told me that the game world map is much larger than I initially thought! I haven't gotten the mechanics of the combat system just yet or figured out how to properly setup what few weapons I have for best use. But I'm learning. There are some really wonderful looking vistas in this game though! 

Just playing some Neo Geo classics at the minute - got sonic wings 2 and 3 going and trying out a bit of KOF. Last modern game I went though was Resident Evil 2 remake, had a lot of fun with it and looking forward to number 3. Of course the only game I’ll be playing for the next 2 months very soon will he Doom Eternal.

• 2 weeks later...

About to bin off Batman:Arkham Knight. 

Must be near end of main story, at the second vehicle battle with Arkham Knight. 

I loved Urban Chaos:Riot Response on classic Xbox, but never took to the studios first Batman game (had it on PS3, but it was bugged to hell, so picked it up later on 360) and this is the first Batman game by them i have tried.

Bought it new,very cheap and it's provided a good few days solid play,but i just can't shake the feeling it's age old game mechanics, Batmobile sections especially,  dressed up.

Mix of everything from Sega CD Batman Returns Driving sections, Stun Runner tunnel loops and bloody DC Red Dog. 

The combat, espically when you team up with Night Wing is good, but taken away too soon..

I'm not overly familiar with a lot of the characters in the newer Batman Universe,  so that was lost on me also.

• 3 weeks later...

Far Cry:New Dawn.

Struggling a little with the environment to be honest.

For a post apocalyptic game, set a mere 17 years after the bombs dropped,nature seems to of recovered a little too quickly.

No blasted trees, glassed landscapes, mutated creatures so far.

Just lots of Mad Max type vehicles and weapons cobbled together and that jars slightly. 

I've never played any of the Far Cry games. I just don't like FPS games. I do like post-apocalyptic settings, so maybe I'll try New Dawn (and the Fallout games from Fallout 3 on) sometime.

I'm currently playing through Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I know people have some issues with the Assassin's Creed games, but I really like them. I also like that Odyssey allows you to pick a female main character, and she actually looks like a warrior (I wonder how many people were upset that they made her muscular).

• Like 1

Loved the original Far Cry on PC and enjoyed the 2 classic Xbox games.

Hated Far Cry 2 on 360

Fell back in love with series with Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon expansion on PS3

Fell out of love with it with Far Cry 4

Took a while, but Far Cry:Primal worked ok

Far Cry 5 and now the expansion doing ok

I've put more hours into Fallout 4 than any other Fallout game and that's saying something. 

I've been playing Langrisser I via the Langrisser I & II collection for the past month.  I've got endings A,B,C,D, and H.  About to complete path G.  Once I get all the endings I'll move on to part II.

It was the first full priced game I'd bought in a while, and worth every penny.