IGNORED

What are you playing on your PlayStation 4?

Algus

but if I get stuck at the end, I will probably just move on to something else. As I mentioned before, once a game becomes stressful, I tend to move on to something else.

I'm pretty much the same way. If I had played Infinite when I was younger, I probably would have been more persistent and eventually finished it. This conversation is making me want to go back and try again now, but usually if I hit a wall in a game like that at my current age, I just give up. There are a lot of other games I want to play. But if a game is *really* good, like Bioshock Infinite (or Bayonetta, which I just gave up on again), I will eventually go back to it. I really do want to see the ending of Bioshock Infinite at some point; I put a lot of time into the game and got invested in the story, which is quite good. If I don't finish a game like that, it's like turning off a movie with 10 minutes left in it.

I'm pretty much the same way. If I had played Infinite when I was younger, I probably would have been more persistent and eventually finished it. This conversation is making me want to go back and try again now, but usually if I hit a wall in a game like that at my current age, I just give up. There are a lot of other games I want to play. But if a game is *really* good, like Bioshock Infinite (or Bayonetta, which I just gave up on again), I will eventually go back to it. I really do want to see the ending of Bioshock Infinite at some point; I put a lot of time into the game and got invested in the story, which is quite good. If I don't finish a game like that, it's like turning off a movie with 10 minutes left in it.

I've really been enjoying the story of Bioshock, and I recently ordered a book on it from Third Editions.

I had a similar experience with the 2016 Doom. I couldn't get past the boss where you have to fight two at the same time. I tried more times than I could count, but I just couldn't get past it. Eventually I just watched a play through on YouTube to see what part of the game I missed afterwards.

I decided to finally play Bioshock for the first time ever. I picked up the PS4 Collection for under $20, so I figured it was time to try it. I finished the first one a few weeks ago, and I'm near the end of part 2 now. I really loved the first one and completely understand all the praise it receives. I'm also enjoying the second one, but I find it doesn't have the same charm as the original. I don't enjoy the Big Daddy character as much as I enjoyed the character from the original. I also find the weapons feel more generic, and underpowered compared to the original. But it's still a fun game. I'm pretty sure I will finish up part 2 tonight and move on to Infinite. I'm not sure what to expect from part 3, but I do know that the new location seems like it will be a neat change of pace. I guess we will see.

IIRC the first Bioshock and the third are done by nearly exactly the same team, with a slightly different arm of the developer doing part 2. I never got through part 2...but love the first and the third installments very dearly. Two of my favorite videogame experiences of all time. Part 2 didn't stink, but it didn't have the magic the others did. The distinctive flavor that set it far apart from other FPS adventure type games, a sense of individuality and urgency. Not to mention art.

So I know you're not alone in your reaction.

As to what to expect from Infinite...well. It's very different from the first one, but possibly even better. And that's all I'll say about it. Enjoy :)

Due to my schedule, I haven't had much gaming time the past few weeks, but I did get a chance to finish Bioshock 2 and moved on to Infinite. But I've barely started, and I haven't even had a chance to shoot anything yet. The new location is pretty cool though and I'm looking forward to seeing how the story goes. I forgot to mention before that the Bioshock story really drew me in more so than most games do these days.

Dragon's Crown pro.... nuff said!

Me too. I can't see any graphical upgrade over the original, but it's a fun enough game that I don't mind playing it again. And I'm surprised at how much of the game I've forgotten about.

I played as the Knight on my PS3 playthrough. Now I'm going all-in as the busty Sorceress.

• Like 1

Me too. I can't see any graphical upgrade over the original, but it's a fun enough game that I don't mind playing it again. And I'm surprised at how much of the game I've forgotten about.

I played as the Knight on my PS3 playthrough. Now I'm going all-in as the busty Sorceress.

The graphical upgrade isn't noticed unless you have a PS4 Pro and a 4k TV. However, to me and having played the PS3 version quite a bit (Never completed it though), It is either the ps4 controller or some tweaks to game play were done, because I'm having a better time with playing it on the PS4 than I did on my PS3. I also really like the new fully orchestrated soundtrack as well.

And again while not a ton of difference, I can see a clarity difference on mine as I have a PS4 pro and use multisampling to have 4k games play at 4k and display downscaled at 1080P on my actual TV. This is a feature that PC graphics cards have provided for several years so it is cool to have it on the PS4 pro as well.

I picked up a cheap copy of Alien Isolation which apparently has bonus content. I've only played it a bit and I just seem to be walking empty ships and space stations. I hate that these modern games don't have paper manuals and I don't think there's a tutorial in the game. I'm guessing aliens will jump out at me eventually but so far nothing. Atmosphere is nice and creepy though.

• Like 1

I hate the control scheme. It absolutely sucks IMO. I hated it so bad I sold my copy which is too bad because I love the sims series.

I thought it was weird at first, but I got used to it in a day or two. Now it doesn't bother me. Sims is a point and click game at heart, and it's hard to port that to a game controller without compromise.

• Like 1

I picked up a cheap copy of Alien Isolation which apparently has bonus content. I've only played it a bit and I just seem to be walking empty ships and space stations. I hate that these modern games don't have paper manuals and I don't think there's a tutorial in the game. I'm guessing aliens will jump out at me eventually but so far nothing. Atmosphere is nice and creepy though.

Just like the Alien film, Alien: Isolation has a slow buildup to the action. But once you get there (maybe 45 minutes or so into the game), it's intense. You don't really get to the bread and butter of the gameplay until you get to the medlab area, and then it becomes one of the most terrifying games out there. Alien: Isolation is one of my favorite game of the last two generations.

I picked up No Mans Sky today and am having a blast with it. I love open world (galaxy) sandbox games and this kind of thing is right up my alley. I had heard many don't like it but maybe it's been patched now. I think it's a lot of fun. Maybe you have to like slow, exploration games like this but I do. Having said that it seems to have a steep learning curve and it takes a while to figure things out. If ever a game needed a nice paper manual to have at your side while you play it would be this one. It's a beautiful game, really enjoying this one.

• Like 1

I picked up No Mans Sky today and am having a blast with it. I love open world (galaxy) sandbox games and this kind of thing is right up my alley. I had heard many don't like it but maybe it's been patched now. I think it's a lot of fun. Maybe you have to like slow, exploration games like this but I do. Having said that it seems to have a steep learning curve and it takes a while to figure things out. If ever a game needed a nice paper manual to have at your side while you play it would be this one. It's a beautiful game, really enjoying this one.

It has been patched, and there's another big patch coming in July.

But part of the launch hate is people had their expectations way out of line. As you said it's an easy-paced relaxing game. This I believe is the real reason the "Gotta be AAA, need constant action and big budget effects!" crowd hated the game. Sure they used all kinds of excuses about this missing feature or that missing feature. But even if those features weren't missing (many have since been added, and the next patch looks to add more), I guarantee most of those would still hate the game because it still won't be that 'AAA space opera' they imagined it would be.

• Like 2

It has been patched, and there's another big patch coming in July.

But part of the launch hate is people had their expectations way out of line. As you said it's an easy-paced relaxing game. This I believe is the real reason the "Gotta be AAA, need constant action and big budget effects!" crowd hated the game. Sure they used all kinds of excuses about this missing feature or that missing feature. But even if those features weren't missing (many have since been added, and the next patch looks to add more), I guarantee most of those would still hate the game because it still won't be that 'AAA space opera' they imagined it would be.

What really got to me about all that hate early on, was how utterly ignorant those doing the hating were. They watched a developer say in an interview, 'we're going to have X in this game'. Then the game got delayed to add X. Then the developer got death threats becuase the game wasn't out. So the game came out... and people were pissed becuase X wasn't in it. And I'm sitting here going 'they said they needed more time- did you even watch the same gameplay trailer I did? You knew there was no X!'

That & Scalebound are the games I point to these days to explain why I don't like 'hype' for games.

What really got to me about all that hate early on, was how utterly ignorant those doing the hating were. They watched a developer say in an interview, 'we're going to have X in this game'. Then the game got delayed to add X. Then the developer got death threats becuase the game wasn't out. So the game came out... and people were pissed becuase X wasn't in it. And I'm sitting here going 'they said they needed more time- did you even watch the same gameplay trailer I did? You knew there was no X!'

yeah the hype the game generated was just ridiculous, I remember the death threats.

Before the game came out, the number one complaint was "they haven't explained what you even do in the game". Gameplay was a mystery that nobody could fully explain. The fans just had faith that it would be great

Then it released and it wasn't the game some people had imagined so they started cherry-picking developer comments to make lists of all the "lies" that were told about NMS. Wait what? Nobody could fully explain the gameplay before release because the concept was kinda fuzzy and vague.

But the developer didn't help because he obviously had no PR background. He would show off demos to people and answer questions with "well maybe we could see that in the game at some point" A lot of the answers where tentative because the game wasn't finished. But all those tentative answers were counted as 'lies'

But I watched all those demos, and the game I played at launch was very close to the game he played in the demos. I never took the 'maybes, perhaps, could bes' as gospel, so I was not letdown when it released.

• Like 1

I want to be like the people who really, really dug into this game. They share a lot of my interests, but have a longer attention span than I ever will.

Exhibit 1: Blake Patterson, a major retro gamer (blog here, lots of BBS and Amiga chatter) who also also helped start Touch Arcade

https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/13/14907244/meet-the-guy-who-spent-over-4000-on-no-mans-sky

Exhibit 2: Jeff "Yak" Minter of Llamasoft (Tempest 2000, VLM, Gridrunner, etc). He doesn't write many long-form pieces anymore, but when he does, it's always interesting.

http://minotaurproject.co.uk/blog/?p=380