IGNORED

Goonies II

Robot2600

I've always been familiar with Goonies II, but for the longest time I've just ignored it. Not sure why, but it's always been easy to overlook. If I wanted a platformer, I'd play Mega man, if I wanted an adventure I'd play Zelda, Metroid, or Legacy of the Wizard (Or Ultima: Exodus). Plus the title always made it seem like I was missing something (I never played Goonies 1).

Who wants to start playing the second game in a series?

Last night I thought it would be fun to give the game a try and start to put in some serious playing Goonies II... and I remembered that not only had a played the game years ago, but I had loved it. I was pretty young (4-5?) so I didn't get very far. My cousin and neighbor did most of the playing. Even though I've booted the cart up every now and then, I never got to the cave areas which, for some reason, really jogged my memory.

Rocking out to the Good Enough song in 8-Bit is pretty fun, too bad the rest of the music is somewhat more generic. I've seen theg ame compared to Friday the 13th, and the "inside" music is definitely similar.

Any other fans of the game? Anyone have some cool stories about playing this in the '80s and '90s? Anyone played it since then? I've rescued 2 Goonies this morning, looking for the 3rd now. Not using any guides--at least the game has a map, that's pretty cool.

Edited by Robot2600

This was the first good game I had for the NES as a kid aside from Super Mario Bros so I played the hell out of it. I even remember beating it once or twice upon saving the mermaid. I've heard people refer to it as a poor man's Metroid and I think that's pretty fair. I'll always have a stronger sense of nostalgia for Goonies II as I didn't have access to Metroid when I was young.

Good luck crossing the bridge with your boomerang still in inventory, and don't attack Konami Man.

It's an okay game. It's named such because the original Goonies NES game wasn't put out in the USA (I think). It was though on Play Choice machines and bootleg multicarts.

I loved it when you hit the old person and got the reaction "Ouch! What do you do?" I was ROFLMAO the first time I saw that.

Goonies did come out here in the states but not on the NES, it was on the VS. machines and the Players Choice 10 machines. I really think Goonies II set the bar for quite a few adventure games after it. It also had a HUGE world and loads of exploring to do. Plus the 3D tunnels were something new that NES players have not seen till Goonies II.

The soundtrack was topnotch at the time and I still go back on .nes player and listen to a few tracks from the game.