IGNORED

Can an Atari 2600 Keypad be used to start ColecoVision games?

myklejay

Got to thinking about how to get around having to use the stock CV controllers and remembered that I had some Atari 2600 keyboard controllers sitting around, before I dig em out to test I wanted to see if anyone else had any luck with this option: Atari keypad to start games and an atari joystick for gameplay?

post-37464-0-28181000-1386875675_thumb.jpg

yes I know, I have a system that doesn't have any controllers but I have a ton of atari controllers sitting around, I'm an Atari guy through and through but the Colecovision has always interested me and I picked up a working boxed CV for cheap the other day but it didn't have controllers. I will invest in some proper cv controllers but in the meantime I wanna see what the CV is all about.

Nope. The Atari Keypad won't work perfectly with the Colecovision. I tested the Atari keypad with the controller tester program that came with the Ultimate SD Cartridge, only the first row were detected if I recalled. I think the first row of that controller 1,4,7,* were picked up as 3 6 9 # You can use the Sega Genesis controller to start the game with the Dpad, but you won't know which skill level it selected. I don't recall which direction either and I don't have the 3 button Sega Controller here, only 6 buttons. Some game for Colecovision only require fire button to start a game like Gyruss.

Nope. The Atari Keypad won't work perfectly with the Colecovision. I tested the Atari keypad with the controller tester program that came with the Ultimate SD Cartridge, only the first row were detected if I recalled. I think the first row of that controller 1,4,7,* were picked up as 3 6 9 # You can use the Sega Genesis controller to start the game with the Dpad, but you won't know which skill level it selected. I don't recall which direction either and I don't have the 3 button Sega Controller here, only 6 buttons. Some game for Colecovision only require fire button to start a game like Gyruss.

Thanks Kiwi.

I wonder if the wiring in the keypad could be changed to work properly with the pinout of the CV?

Be careful not to hotswap controllers too often (or at all). It's my theory that this can blow an IC. Had it happen multiple times.

Thanks, I have read this on other posts. Sure wish I could find a descent set of CV stock controllers, there seems to be a shortage for some reason, hit me up is you have an extra set laying around that!