IGNORED

Geneve Support

RobertLM78

Greetings all! I wound up getting into some Geneve emulation in MESS the other day after Michael and I had been talking about it. Anyway, I thought I'd start a support thread.

I finally got the first thing besides the OS running on the Geneve a couple of days ago, and that was Advanced Basic. I tried to load and run an XB program from there, but the machine freezes. This likely has something to do with TIMODE, but I haven't been able to get any XB program to run.

Moreover, I'm wondering what else is out there for the Geneve? Some reading seemed to suggest that MyWord was a Geneve editor, but I immediately was hesitant to believe it after looking at the contents of the disk, which has a file named 'FORMAT' (which would of course be problematic with MDOS's command). So what other software is there for the Geneve, and where can I find some documentation, such as an ABasic manual?

Also, advice on how to run TI software on the Geneve would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry to ask - I've been wading through whtech for days without finding any answers nor much in the way of useful documentation :(.

We should collect the most important tools for the Geneve at a location like WHTech. I already started to create a web page on WHTech some time ago: http://ftp.whtech.com/info/geneve.html

(note the http access to the ftp server!)

This is intended to become a helpful page for Geneve newbies, in particular those who got to know the Geneve via emulation.

I have write access to WHTech so if you send me appropriate images I can upload them and complete that page. We can then store all important programs on disk images or as single TIFILES files.

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 1

Thank you fellas for the pointers :).

Check out this group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Geneve9640/info

And you'll find a hard drive image all set up with oodles of stuff to run from a menu here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Geneve9640/files/MdosGpl/

Gazoo

Well, I just joined the Yahoo! Geneve group, and am awaiting approval. I can't wait to check out that Hard drive image and see what's on there. I'd preferably like to find some names of applications and programs, then install them onto my own drive which I've started (already has ABasic and a directory for Extended Basic programs - if I can get them to run ;).)

We should collect the most important tools for the Geneve at a location like WHTech. I already started to create a web page on WHTech some time ago: http://ftp.whtech.com/info/geneve.html

(note the http access to the ftp server!)

This is intended to become a helpful page for Geneve newbies, in particular those who got to know the Geneve via emulation.

I have write access to WHTech so if you send me appropriate images I can upload them and complete that page. We can then store all important programs on disk images or as single TIFILES files.

That would be awesome to get this page going (interesting to see the http access, too.)

Thank you fellas for the pointers :).

Well, I just joined the Yahoo! Geneve group, and am awaiting approval. I can't wait to check out that Hard drive image and see what's on there. I'd preferably like to find some names of applications and programs, then install them onto my own drive which I've started (already has ABasic and a directory for Extended Basic programs - if I can get them to run ;).)

Approved ;) Sorry, ever since Yahoo changed to their current, ugly forums software, the "request to join" emails fail to arrive. The Geneve group is not meant as a replacement for WHT as was stated on the main page (which is now hidden, again thanks to the new forum software). :(

ABASIC will run many XB programs though not all. There are two common hard drive images out there -- Beery Miller's and Gazoo's. Both have a decent set of software to start you on your way. From DOS you can load GPL, which is essentially the TI ROM and GROM set, with the ROM modified slightly to account for the different keyboard input and some other misc. changes. If you are in GPL, you need to use the keypress "SHIFT-SHIFT-CTRL" to get back out of the emulation. There are most certainly other tips and tidbits to document....

• Like 1

Well, I only had success with the first of the images, MdosGpl.zip.001. The others seem to have a problem, although the first zip appears to have a complete .hd image.

Read the docs in the folder, you have to join the 3 files to get a complete image. This is due to a file size restriction of Yahoo's. There's a utility in the folder to join them.

Gazoo

• Like 1

I see - I was trying to avoid the .exe since I'm running Linux. I'll give it a shot through WINE. Thanks Gazoo :D

You know that you can use "cat" to join files in Linux? :)

cat file1 file2 file3 > filecomplete

(and split to do the opposite). No need for WINE.

Michael

• Like 1

You know that you can use "cat" to join files in Linux? :)

cat file1 file2 file3 > filecomplete

(and split to do the opposite). No need for WINE.

Michael

Cool 8). I will try that now, just for fun... :).

I just tried and got some weird results:

cat MdosGpl.3.zip.001 MdosGpl.3.zip.002 MdosGpl.3.zip.003 > MdosGpl.zip

does not work, and

cat MdosGpl.3.zip.001 MdosGpl.3.zip.002 MdosGpl.3.zip.003 MdosGpl.zip

gives an erroneous output while screwing up the fonts of my MATE terminal :(.

I'm probably doing something wrong though...

$ cat MdosGpl.zip.001 MdosGpl.zip.002 MdosGpl.zip.003 > mdos.zip
$ unzip -t mdos.zip
Archive:  mdos.zip
    testing: MdosGpl.hd               OK
No errors detected in compressed data of mdos.zip.
$ unzip mdos.zip
Archive:  mdos.zip
  inflating: MdosGpl.hd             
$

cat is the command for "catenation"; it can be "abused" to output data from text files (and thus plays a role like TYPE in MSDOS), but indeed it copies the contents of the argument files to stdout, one after another, without any change. So you want to redirect stdout to a file, and hence I'm using mdos.zip in this example. Works for me without any problem.

So your "does not work" should have worked; you did not say why it did not for you.

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 1

BTW, you can create your custom HD with TIImageTool, open some of these prepared other HDs, and copy parts from there to your own drive. Mark some files or directories, press CTRL-C, paste them with CTRL-V into your new image.

Oh, and pay attention (and everyone using this HD image)! This is an outdated MESS HD format. You can convert it in TIImageTool to the new version 5. I recommend that someone replaces the MdosGpl files with new ones pretty soon.

One of the most notable features of the CHDv5 format is that it produces much smaller images since it does not store tracks that are filled with zeros. (That is, if the image is full, it will of course not be smaller.)

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 1

So your "does not work" should have worked; you did not say why it did not for you.

Well, it would have helped if I had entered the file names in correctly :dunce: . It works perfectly when you use the right file names :P. Cool command...

BTW, you can create your custom HD with TIImageTool, open some of these prepared other HDs, and copy parts from there to your own drive. Mark some files or directories, press CTRL-C, paste them with CTRL-V into your new image.

Oh, and pay attention (and everyone using this HD image)! This is an outdated MESS HD format. You can convert it in TIImageTool to the new version 5. I recommend that someone replaces the MdosGpl files with new ones pretty soon.

One of the most notable features of the CHDv5 format is that it produces much smaller images since it does not store tracks that are filled with zeros. (That is, if the image is full, it will of course not be smaller.)

Adding the contents I wanted to keep into my new HD image (the one you suggested I make ;)) is exactly what I was planning on doing.

I got the image converted to CHDv5.

@Tim: I went ahead and created a CHDv5 zip:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95921622/MdosGpl.zip

TIImageTool says that there are some files on the HD image that are suspiciously not OK. Maybe some of them will run nevertheless, but if you look at XCOPY the last sector is filled with e5. This need not be an issue because it means that the file is simply one sector too long. For all reported files one should check whether the problem is caused by the tail of the file and not in between.

If this is OK for all, I will upload a copy of that hard disk image to WHTech and put a link on said HTML file.

Robert, concerning the tools in Linux, there is far more to be discovered, and although I've been using it for the last 15 years I suppose I did not even find out all goodies. Ever exploited all features of the "find" command? For instance, find all directories in a subtree and change their permissions? Or use a script to turn all file names to lowercase (since the Windows users still don't know about case sensitivity in other worlds). Or take your list of photographs, throw away some of them, and renumber all files contiguously. All things that can be done in a few lines of script.

Also, if you want to clip off the last 256 bytes of the file, you can use split and tell it to create pieces of (length-256). And more.

Interestingly, the MdosGpl system gets caught in a recursive loop on boot. At least one path that I see in the AUTOEXEC is not valid - I'll play around with it some more though.

Are you booting from the Hard drive image? The AUTOEXEC is set up for that.

In order to preload the GPL files, the GPLTEST file returns a 'Y' if GPL has been loaded.

Else it loads the GPL files through the GPLINIT series of files. Your loop may be there

if you're failing to load the GPL files.

Is that where you're getting stuck?

Gazoo

Are you booting from the Hard drive image? The AUTOEXEC is set up for that.

In order to preload the GPL files, the GPLTEST file returns a 'Y' if GPL has been loaded.

Else it loads the GPL files through the GPLINIT series of files. Your loop may be there

if you're failing to load the GPL files.

Is that where you're getting stuck?

Gazoo

It gets stuck when it tries to load Disk Manager 1000. GPL pages seem to load okay. I tried to make a couple of changes to the AUTOEXEC and see if I could remove loading Disk Manager 1000, but made things worse. It's a fairly sophisticated AUTOEXEC.

TIImageTool says that there are some files on the HD image that are suspiciously not OK. Maybe some of them will run nevertheless, but if you look at XCOPY the last sector is filled with e5. This need not be an issue because it means that the file is simply one sector too long. For all reported files one should check whether the problem is caused by the tail of the file and not in between.

If this is OK for all, I will upload a copy of that hard disk image to WHTech and put a link on said HTML file.

Robert, concerning the tools in Linux, there is far more to be discovered, and although I've been using it for the last 15 years I suppose I did not even find out all goodies. Ever exploited all features of the "find" command? For instance, find all directories in a subtree and change their permissions? Or use a script to turn all file names to lowercase (since the Windows users still don't know about case sensitivity in other worlds). Or take your list of photographs, throw away some of them, and renumber all files contiguously. All things that can be done in a few lines of script.

Also, if you want to clip off the last 256 bytes of the file, you can use split and tell it to create pieces of (length-256). And more.

I have been really amazed with what 'find' can do, and am always learning new things that it can do. I will probably be learning Linux for the rest of my life ;).

About the hard disk image and corrupt files. I went ahead and did a scan myself, and found over 50 files that were questionable. But, like you said, XCOPY had the E5s at the end of the document. FAST and FORMATIS in DSK1. are small files with E5s at the end but mostly 00s for the rest of the file, so they are definitely suspect. I didn't check all 65 files (some of them shouldn't effect booting/performance though.) I'm attaching a log of the scan from TIImageTool as well as the list of files that the scan regarded as potential problems.

Log_&_files.zip

Edited by RobertLM78

It gets stuck when it tries to load Disk Manager 1000. GPL pages seem to load okay. I tried to make a couple of changes to the AUTOEXEC and see if I could remove loading Disk Manager 1000, but made things worse. It's a fairly sophisticated AUTOEXEC.

I have been really amazed with what 'find' can do, and am always learning new things that it can do. I will probably be learning Linux for the rest of my life ;).

About the hard disk image and corrupt files. I went ahead and did a scan myself, and found over 50 files that were questionable. But, like you said, XCOPY had the E5s at the end of the document. FAST and FORMATIS in DSK1. are small files with E5s at the end but mostly 00s for the rest of the file, so they are definitely suspect. I didn't check all 65 files (some of them shouldn't effect booting/performance though.) I'm attaching a log of the scan from TIImageTool as well as the list of files that the scan regarded as potential problems.

Does everything else on the menu other than DM1000 work ok? I have no trouble loading DM1000 by selecting 'Y' from the menu.

Just checked the other files you mentioned. FAST is an old program that sets Turbo mode, it really doesn't have any effect anymore.

FORMATIS is the second file in the chain of FORMATIT. The program is the floppy disk formatter selected by 'N' from the menu.

XCOPY works ok, too.

Gazoo

Heya Gazoo, thanks for the reply

Does everything else on the menu other than DM1000 work ok? I have no trouble loading DM1000 by selecting 'Y' from the menu.

Just checked the other files you mentioned. FAST is an old program that sets Turbo mode, it really doesn't have any effect anymore.

FORMATIS is the second file in the chain of FORMATIT. The program is the floppy disk formatter selected by 'N' from the menu.

XCOPY works ok, too.

Gazoo

I can't even get to the menu yet :( ... even in spite of the changes I made to AUTOEXEC - although I'm undoubtedly doing something wrong there. It seems like the drive should work 'out of the box'. Are you trying this image in MESS? Are you able to get the to menu with it? Maybe there's something wrong with my image....???

Looking over the AUTOEXEC again now, it appears that there are references to files on G:\ - what's up with that? I know G:\ would likely be the letter assigned to a third disk, but this is one disk...

MODE B5
MODE F5
ECHO OFF
G:VID2
DISK1 OFF
E:\GPLTEST
IF %1==Y GOTO START
CLS
MODE F16
VER
ECHO Loading GPL pages ...
E:\INITGPL
:START
G:TURBO ON
G:VID2
IBMGRF ON
:DISPLAY
G:\DISPLAY
G:\BEEP
G:
CD ..
F:
CD ..
CD ..
E:
CD ..
CD ..
G:GETKEY
MODE 80
CLS
MODE B5
MODE F16
IF %1==A GOTO GENEVEMODE
IF %1==B GPL
IF %1==C GPL E:\GRAM.M2.MULTIPLAN
IF %1==D GPL E:\GRAM.T1.TI-EXB110
IF %1==E GPL E:\XB
IF %1==F GPL G:\SUPERXB
IF %1==G GPL E:\RXB
IF %1==H GPL E:\EA
IF %1==I GOTO ASSEMBLER
IF %1==J GOTO LINKER
IF %1==K GOTO FUNLWEB
IF %1==L GOTO DSKU
IF %1==M G:DM E:
IF %1==N GOTO FORMATTER
IF %1==O GOTO MDM5
IF %1==P GOTO MYWORD
IF %1==Q GOTO MYART
IF %1==R G:U.BASIC
IF %1==S GOTO EDUCART
IF %1==T GOTO GAMES
IF %1==U GOTO TIARTIST
IF %1==V QDE
IF %1==W GOTO FX
IF %1==X E:\FWB.DKA
IF %1==Y GOTO DM1000
IF %1==Z E:\GPROGS.GDM2K
IF %1==1 GPL G:\U.BOOTXB
IF %1==2 E:\GPROGS.MEMTEST
IF %1==3 G:\U.GIF
IF %1==4 GOTO MCOPY
IF %1==5 GOTO ARCHIVER
IF %1==6 E:\U.SECTOR1
IF %1==7 GOTO SCRENSAV
IF %1==8 GOTO SCREN1
IF %1==9 GOTO SCREN3
IF %1==0 GOTO REBOOT
GOTO DISPLAY
:GENEVEMODE
G:
&TIOFF
&AUTOEXEC
:RESET
E:
&AUTOEXEC
:SCRENSAV
G:U.SCRENSAV
GOTO RESET
:REBOOT
MODE B2
MODE F2
G:
PFX CURRENT /20
G:RESET
GOTO RESET
:FORMATTER
VER
ECHO
ECHO Loading Floppy Disk Formatter ...
G:EXEC G:U.FORMATIT/R
GOTO RESET
:ASSEMBLER
VER
ECHO
ECHO Loading Rag Assembler ...
G:EXEC G:U.RAGA
GOTO RESET
:LINKER
VER
ECHO
ECHO Loading Rag Linker ...
G:EXEC G:U.RAGL
GOTO RESET
:FUNLWEB
VER
ECHO
ECHO Loading Funnelweb ...
G:EXEC HDS1.FWB.FW
GOTO RESET
:DSKU
VER
ECHO
ECHO Loading Disk Utilities  v4.2 ...
G:EXEC G:FWB.DU/R
GOTO RESET
:DM1000
VER
ECHO
ECHO Loading Disk Manager 1000 ...
G:EXEC G:FWB.MG
GOTO RESET
:ARCHIVER
VER
ECHO
ECHO Loading Archiver  v4.0g ...
G:TURBO OFF
G:EXEC G:FWB.AC/R
GOTO RESET
:SCREN1
CLS
G:EXEC G:LINES
GOTO RESET
:DIRMGR
VER
ECHO
IBMGRF OFF
ECHO
ECHO Loading Directory Manager ...
ECHO OFF
G:U.DM E:
ECHO OFF
IBMGRF ON
GOTO RESET
:TIARTIST
VER
ECHO
ECHO Loading Ti Artist ...
G:EXEC HDS1.A.ARTIST1
GOTO RESET
:SCREN3
G:EXEC G:BOXES
GOTO RESET
:FX
VER
ECHO
ECHO Loading Sound FX ...
G:EXEC G:U.FX
GOTO RESET
:DM2K
MODE 40
VER
ECHO
ECHO Loading Disk Manager 2000 ...
E:\GPROGS\GDM2K
CLS
MODE 80
GOTO RESET
:MDM5
VER
ECHO
ECHO Loading Myarc Disk Manager 5 ...
G:EXEC HDS1.MDM5.MDM5 /R
GOTO RESET
:MCOPY
VER
ECHO
ECHO Loading M-Copy ...
G:EXEC G:U.M-COPY/R
GOTO RESET
:MYWORD
VER
ECHO
ECHO Loading My-Word  v1.21 ...
G:EXEC G:U.MW
GOTO RESET
:MYART
VER
ECHO
ECHO Loading My-Art  v1.4 ...
G:
CD U
G:\U.MYART
GOTO RESET
:GAMES
:GAMES1
G:
CLS
MODE F5
ECHO                     ͻ
ECHO                              Tony's Game Menu          
ECHO                     Ķ
ECHO                           A for Jawbreaker             
ECHO                           B for Blasto                 
ECHO                           C for Munchman               
ECHO                           D for Burgertime             
ECHO                           E for TI Invaders            
ECHO                           F for Pacman                 
ECHO                           G for Hangman                
ECHO                           H for Video Chess            
ECHO                           I for Othello                
ECHO                           J for Pole Position          
ECHO                           K for Parsec                 
ECHO                           L for Hopper                 
ECHO                           M for Ambulance              
ECHO                           N for Star Trek              
ECHO                           O for Hunt the Wumpus        
ECHO                           P for Blackjack & Poker      
ECHO                           Q for E.T.                   
ECHO                           R for Ms. Pacman             
ECHO                           1 for return to Main Menu    
ECHO                     ͼ
MODE F16
GETKEY
CLS
IF %1==A GPL E:\G.JAWBREAKR
IF %1==B GPL E:\G.BLASTO
IF %1==C GPL E:\G.MUNCHMAN
IF %1==D GPL E:\G.BURGRTIME
IF %1==E GPL E:\G.INVADERS
IF %1==F GPL E:\G.PACMAN
IF %1==G GPL E:\G.HANGMAN
IF %1==H GPL E:\G.VIDEOCHES
IF %1==I GPL E:\G.OTHELLO
IF %1==J GPL E:\G.POLEPOS
IF %1==K GPL E:\G.PARSEC
IF %1==L GPL E:\G.HOPPER
IF %1==M GPL E:\G.AMBULANCE
IF %1==N GPL E:\G.STARTREK
IF %1==O GPL E:\G.HUNTWUMPS
IF %1==P GPL E:\G.BLKJKPOKR
IF %1==Q GPL E:\DISNEY.ET
IF %1==R GPL E:\G.MSPACMAN
IF %1==1 GOTO RESET
GOTO GAMES1
:EDUCART
:EDUCART1
G:
CLS
MODE F5
MODE 90
ECHO                         Educational Cartridges Menu    
ECHO                       A for Addition                   
ECHO                       B for Addition & Subtraction 1   
ECHO                       C for Addition & Subtraction 2   
ECHO                       D for Addition & Subtraction 3   
ECHO                       E for Alien Addition             
ECHO                       F for Alligator Mix              
ECHO                       G for Beginning Grammar          
ECHO                       H for Computer Math Games 2      
ECHO                       I for Computer Math Games 3      
ECHO                       J for Computer Math Games 6      
ECHO                       K for Decimals                   
ECHO                       L for Decimals 1                 
ECHO                       M for Decimals 2                 
ECHO                       N for Demolition Division        
ECHO                       O for Division                   
ECHO                       P for Division 1                 
ECHO                       Q for Dragon Mix                 
ECHO                       R for Early Learning Fun         
ECHO                       S for Early Reading              
ECHO                       SPACE BAR for More - 1 to Quit   
MODE F16
GETKEY
CLS
MODE 80
IF %1==1 GOTO RESET
IF %1==A GPL E:\GRAM.AB.ADDITION
IF %1==B GPL E:\GRAM.AB.ADD&SUB_1
IF %1==C GPL E:\GRAM.AB.ADD&SUB_2
IF %1==D GPL E:\GRAM.AB.ADD&SUB_3
IF %1==E GPL E:\GRAM.AB.ALIEN-ADD
IF %1==F GPL E:\GRAM.AB.ALLIGATOR
IF %1==G GPL E:\GRAM.AB.BEGIN-GRA
IF %1==H GPL E:\GRAM.C.COM-M-G_2
IF %1==I GPL E:\GRAM.C.COM-M-G_3
IF %1==J GPL E:\GRAM.C.COM-M-G_6
IF %1==K GPL E:\GRAM.D.DECIMAL
IF %1==L GPL E:\GRAM.D.DECIMAL_1
IF %1==M GPL E:\GRAM.D.DECIMAL_2
IF %1==N GPL E:\GRAM.D.DEMOLITIO
IF %1==O GPL E:\GRAM.D.DIVISIO
IF %1==P GPL E:\GRAM.D.DIVISIO_1
IF %1==Q GPL E:\GRAM.D.DRAGON-MI
IF %1==R GPL E:\GRAM.EG.ERLYLNGFN
IF %1==S GPL E:\GRAM.EG.EARLYREAD
CLS
MODE F5
MODE 90
ECHO                       A for Equations                  
ECHO                       B for Fractions                  
ECHO                       C for Integers                   
ECHO                       D for Laws of Arithmatic         
ECHO                       E for Measurements               
ECHO                       F for Minus Mission              
ECHO                       G for Meteor Multiplication      
ECHO                       H for Mighty Multiplication 1    
ECHO                       I for Mighty Multiplication 2    
ECHO                       J for Multiplication             
ECHO                       K for Number Bowling             
ECHO                       L for Number Magic               
ECHO                       M for Number Readiness           
ECHO                       N for Numeration 1               
ECHO                       O for Numeration 2               
ECHO                       P for Percents                   
ECHO                       Q for Picture Parts              
ECHO                       R for Pyramid Puzzler            
ECHO                       S for Reading Adventures         
ECHO                       SPACE BAR for More - 1 to Quit   
MODE F16
GETKEY
CLS
MODE 80
IF %1==1 GOTO RESET
IF %1==A GPL E:\GRAM.EG.EQUATIONS
IF %1==B GPL E:\GRAM.EG.FRACTIONS
IF %1==C GPL E:\GRAM.HL.INTEGERS
IF %1==D GPL E:\GRAM.HL.LAWS-ARIT
IF %1==E GPL E:\GRAM.M1.MEASUREME
IF %1==F GPL E:\GRAM.M1.MINUS-MIS
IF %1==G GPL E:\GRAM.M1.METEOR-M
IF %1==H GPL E:\GRAM.M2.MULTIPL_1
IF %1==I GPL E:\GRAM.M2.MULTIPL_2
IF %1==J GPL E:\GRAM.M2.MULTIPLI
IF %1==K GPL E:\GRAM.NO.NUMBERBOW
IF %1==L GPL E:\GRAM.NO.NUMBERMAGC
IF %1==M GPL E:\GRAM.NO.NUMBERREA
IF %1==N GPL E:\GRAM.NO.NUMERAT_1
IF %1==O GPL E:\GRAM.NO.NUMERAT_2
IF %1==P GPL E:\GRAM.PQ.PERCENTS
IF %1==Q GPL E:\GRAM.PQ.PICTUREPA
IF %1==R GPL E:\GRAM.PQ.PYRAMIDPU
IF %1==S GPL E:\GRAM.R1.READADV
CLS
MODE F5
MODE 90
ECHO                       A for Reading Cheers             
ECHO                       B for Reading Flight             
ECHO                       C for Reading On                 
ECHO                       D for Reading Power              
ECHO                       E for Reading Rainbow            
ECHO                       F for Reading Rally              
ECHO                       G for Reading Roundup            
ECHO                       H for Reading Trail              
ECHO                       I for Reading Wonders            
ECHO                       J for Scholastic Spelling 3      
ECHO                       K for Scholastic Spelling 4      
ECHO                       L for Scholastic Spelling 5      
ECHO                       M for Scholastic Spelling 6      
ECHO                       N for Space Journey              
ECHO                       O for Star Maze                  
ECHO                       P for Subtraction                
ECHO                       Q for Word Invasion              
ECHO                       R for Word Radar                 
ECHO                                                        
ECHO                       SPACE BAR for more - 1 to Quit   
MODE F16
G:\GETKEY
CLS
MODE 80
IF %1==1 GOTO RESET
IF %1==A GPL E:\GRAM.R1.READCHEER
IF %1==B GPL E:\GRAM.R1.READFLI
IF %1==C GPL E:\GRAM.R1.READON
IF %1==D GPL E:\GRAM.R1.READPOWER
IF %1==E GPL E:\GRAM.R2.READRAIN
IF %1==F GPL E:\GRAM.R2.READRALLY
IF %1==G GPL E:\GRAM.R2.READROUND
IF %1==H GPL E:\GRAM.R2.READTRAIL
IF %1==I GPL E:\GRAM.R2.READWOND
IF %1==J GPL E:\GRAM.S1.SCHSPELL3
IF %1==K GPL E:\GRAM.S1.SCHSPELL4
IF %1==L GPL E:\GRAM.S1.SCHSPELL5
IF %1==M GPL E:\GRAM.S1.SCHSPELL6
IF %1==N GPL E:\GRAM.S2.SPACEJOUR
IF %1==O GPL E:\GRAM.S2.STAR-MAZE
IF %1==P GPL E:\GRAM.S2.SUBTRACTN
IF %1==Q GPL E:\GRAM.UZ.WORDINVAS
IF %1==R GPL E:\GRAM.UZ.WORDRADAR
CLS
GOTO EDUCART1
:END

Heya Gazoo, thanks for the reply

I can't even get to the menu yet :( ... even in spite of the changes I made to AUTOEXEC - although I'm undoubtedly doing something wrong there. It seems like the drive should work 'out of the box'. Are you trying this image in MESS? Are you able to get the to menu with it? Maybe there's something wrong with my image....???

Looking over the AUTOEXEC again now, it appears that there are references to files on G:\ - what's up with that? I know G:\ would likely be the letter assigned to a third disk, but this is one disk...

Ok, I see the problem you're having. 'G:' is a 2 meg ramdisk in PEB slot 4. Set it up for CRU >1400 in the Dip Switches.

Format it with FORM3MEG in the E:\U. directory.

Copy all the files from the E:\DSK6. directory to the G: directory, including sub directories 'A', 'FWB', and 'U'.

You should have a working MDOS system with embedded GPL now.

The main menu looks like this:

post-29515-0-19674900-1387148920_thumb.jpg

Gazoo

Ok, I see the problem you're having. 'G:' is a 2 meg ramdisk in PEB slot 4. Set it up for CRU >1400 in the Dip Switches.

Format it with FORM3MEG in the E:\U. directory.

Copy all the files from the E:\DSK6. directory to the G: directory, including sub directories 'A', 'FWB', and 'U'.

You should have a working MDOS system with embedded GPL now.

Thank you Gazoo - I think we are really close now to getting it running. I can't seem to get the ramdisk formatted however :(. I've put the horizon in slot 4, and set it to be 2 megs, at >1400, but when I run FORM3MEG and select the option for 16 bit at >1400, I get "Error no Ramdisk at CRU >1401" (same for 8-bit at >1400, but the address starts at >1400 instead of >1401).

In the DIP switch menu, I have Horizon Ram Split set to 'off' - I'm not sure if that's important or not...

In spite of all these troubles, I can see why someone would abandon the TI for the Geneve - it's much more versatile :).

Update: I'm getting it to recognize the ramdisk at >1400/1, but I'm not sure how to proceed:

--

Screenshot-0.png

--

Screenshot-1.png

--

Screenshot-2.png

--

Screenshot-3.png

--

It appears that I should say yes to all the above, but then it asks for a disk drive at the end, and that's where I'm not sure what to do.

Another thing I couldn't help but notice: when FORM3MEG is run, the selection asks for a drive letter, so would we not want selection G. 8 BIT @>1600, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

NOTE: I'm running FORM3MEG at F: as I'm using the MDosGpl.hd as the second drive on the system, so as to by-pass the AUTOEXEC on there ;)

Edited by RobertLM78

Update: I'm getting it to recognize the ramdisk at >1400/1, but I'm not sure how to proceed:

--

Screenshot-0.png

--

Screenshot-1.png

--

Screenshot-2.png

--

Screenshot-3.png

--

It appears that I should say yes to all the above, but then it asks for a disk drive at the end, and that's where I'm not sure what to do.

Another thing I couldn't help but notice: when FORM3MEG is run, the selection asks for a drive letter, so would we not want selection G. 8 BIT @>1600, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

NOTE: I'm running FORM3MEG at F: as I'm using the MDosGpl.hd as the second drive on the system, so as to by-pass the AUTOEXEC on there ;)

Looks like you've got everything set up correctly, answer y, n, n to the Form3meg queries.

And no reason to abandon the TI for a Geneve, they're both just as much fun. Expand the TI with a 9938 device, a Ramdisk, and a hard drive and you've got something very special. :)

Gazoo

• Like 1