IGNORED

Joystick not working in MESS?

Trip_Cannon

Hey guys,

I've been racking my brain and trying just about everything I can think of to get my joystick to work in MESS but it just isn't happening.

It works fine in MAME but I'm having no luck in MESS.

Basically it detects the joystick but when I try the tab menu to configure it, it doesn't accept any of the movement...

I'm using a Logitech F310. Is there a better joystick to try out?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

I've got the newest version.... 1.51 I believe... Although it's been troublesome for every previous version I've used... I keep on hoping the next version will fix whatever problem it is...

Yeah... I've played around with those settings to no avail...

It's weird... I do have other versions of MESS to compare... In MESS .82 GUI version I can get the joystick to work with Atari 2600/7800 games but can't get it to work with any other system I try... Newest version, can't get the joystick to work at all... And then in MAME (which I understand has the same kernal) it seems to work fine with whatever game I try...

ok... I tested MESS 0.151b 64 bit on a windows 7 ultimate 64bit system using a Logitech F310 controller.

I did not run into any problems running Atari 2600, 7800 games or any NES games.

All of them accepted my controller input thru the TAB button.

After thinking about this the only other thing I can come up with is this controller comes with profile software..(which I have not installed) that allows you to make up different profiles for different games...could you possibly be running a profile that you created and it is interfering with the MESS program.

I know that you said that MAME works just fine but if you take a close look at this MESS and MAME are two different programs that do two different things.

I am sorry that I cannot be of more help to you.

Edited by NIKON

MAME and MESS are the same base program. They only differ in the driver sets (systems) they support.

if this were the case then the person who started this thread would not be having the problem he is having.

and no I do not wish this to be considered trolling or flaming...just an observation

if this were the case then the person who started this thread would not be having the problem he is having.

and no I do not wish this to be considered trolling or flaming...just an observation

As someone who regularly works with the codebase, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the assumption you're making through observation is incorrect. There is no difference in how either handle input.

The issue here would be due to a configuration issue or user error. I would suggest to download a fresh copy of MESS, extract it to a different directory than the previous install and download QMC2 as a front end. This will start everything from scratch and make troubleshooting easier.

EDIT:

Get MESS from http://mamedev.org

Get QMC2 from http://qmc2.arcadehits.net/wordpress/

As someone who regularly works with the codebase, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the assumption you're making through observation is incorrect. There is no difference in how either handle input.

The issue here would be due to a configuration issue or user error. I would suggest to download a fresh copy of MESS, extract it to a different directory than the previous install and download QMC2 as a front end. This will start everything from scratch and make troubleshooting easier.

EDIT:

Get MESS from http://mamedev.org

Get QMC2 from http://qmc2.arcadehits.net/wordpress/

Well, after downloading it again and installing it in a new directory it's working absolutely fine!

Thank you for help on this!

• Like 2

You wouldn't happen to know where I can get a working NTSC Atari 7800 bios would you? :)

BIOS files as well as links to the latest 32-bit and 64-bit GUI inclusive MESS is here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/214759-mess-0149u1-out-xmxboard-pokey-support/?do=findComment&comment=2796825

Please IGNORE and do NOT use the hlsl.zip files as they would not be applicable to the latest version of MESS. Use the files contained in the hlsl folder of the official distribution.