IGNORED

ANTIC Atari Podcast Topic Ideas

Subby

You guys have any ideas for podcast topics?

Interviews, technical discussions etc. are all welcome.

We have a list that will carry us for quite a while, but I'm curious to see what we haven't thought of, or what corresponds to our list.

Would you be interested in product reviews of "old stuff"?

I think reviews are a great idea if you can get over a couple hurdles. The first one being software that most people in the community are already aware of. On solution to this is to put a comidic spin on the review. Of course, finding someone with good comedic timing would ve the second hurdle but if that can be accomplished, they could just record the secment at home and sent it in. Also, they should invest in a decent mic but those aren't too expensive.

Hardware would be interesting, especially new and hard to find. I'd really be interested in a in-depth review.

A modding segment would also be interesting as well as coding topics.

Hope that helps.

Being that it is a podcast, the best types of things to do are interviews with Atari-related people and news.

I would love to see if you guys could track down Greg Christensen of Caverns of Mars fame. He seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth.

Allan

Interviews are great. What about Lotharek and Candle?

Any of the Synapse people if they are still around.

Your personal gaming recollections, favourite and loathed games (those where you never understood why other people praised them.

Your relationship to 'hostile' systems back in the 80s, e.g. did you consider the C64 a passing fad the mediocrity of which people would notice sooner or later...;-)

• Like 1

Discuss Speech Synthesis on the Atari (SAM, Alien Group's Voicebox)

Discuss BBS Software (AMIS, Forum, Bulletin Board Construction Set)

Discuss modem hardware (Hayes Smartmodem, etc)

Discuss running a BBS (being a SYSOP)

Discuss Atari in movies, tv shows, etc

Discuss obscure Atari publications (for example "Ad Astra", a newsletter for amateur radio/Atari users)

Interview Nolan Bushnell

Interview Richard Garriott

Interview Fred Thorlin of APX

Interview John Palevich/Ed Logg about the Dandy vs. Gauntlet controversy

Interview Atari Star Award winners (Fernando Herrera, etc)

Interview Curt Vendel about his Atari collection

Interview Best Electronics about their history

Interview David Ahl about his books, magazine

Revisit great articles from Antic, Analog, Compute!, Creative Computing, etc.

The interviews are the best. These guys who worked for Atari, or other companies that made Atari software, back when "computers" were programmed rather than software layers, have invaluable knowledge, experience, and insight. The value of documenting their stories and places in history for the Atari community cannot be understated. You guys are doing a great job, and I really appreciate those who have been willing to do interviews on your podcasts. The only negative thing I can say about the interviews is that they're not long enough. I know these people don't have unlimited time, so it's understandable. But I could listen to these guys talk for hours if they were willing.

I would love to hear Bill Gates talk about the good old days and what he remembers about the Atari machines and their programs. He must have kept a watchful eye on the market. I wonder if he secretly played Star Raiders?

You could always start a "where are they now." You wouldn't even have to interview them.

One othere idea I had is video segments. I know this is a podcast but there is just some stuff you can't convey over audio so I suggest posting short video segments that would complement the podcast. Of course, this could be hosted on YouTube and just linked to off of the podcast page. To tie it to the podcast, maybe just talk a little about what is covered in the video to get your audience interested in watching it.

You might want to look at the Subby's info page.

Allan

To quote Homer Simpson: "D'oh!" :dunce: :dunce: Apologies to Subby for not recognizing who he is! With Savetz, it's so obvious!

I'm here.

There he is! Thanks for the reply. My mistake above.

I think about:

1. Interview with Lee Pappas of Analog Magazine, since James Capparell had his turn.

2. Interview with a former Atari dealer, about business in the heyday

3. Interview current Atari dealers (Best, B&C Computervisions) since it's so amazing we can *still* buy new Atari8 hardware!!!

4. Interview with Steve Tucker of Atarimax

5. Interview with Doug Neubauer about Star Raiders and Pokey

I guess I'm a little heavy on the interviews. They're so great! But you guys are doing such a great job with the other stuff already. I really like the topics about the newer hardware, like you did with SIO2PC, SIO2SD, SIDE2, and MyIDE2 because this stuff is likely to repatriate some former Atari8 users back to the A8 scene. SIO2PC (and of course, AtariAge!!!) really motivated me to dive back in a few years ago.

Yep — just Atari 8-bits. You might call it limiting, I call it nice and focused.

LOL! Very optimistic of you. :) I guess I've been doing QA for so long that I'm always looking for bugs. I figured one way to generate more information is to include other Atari products but you do have a point.

Maybe that just means we need a Atari 16-bit and console podcast. Then we could have the Atari Pod-casting network.

• Like 1