wood_jl

Xbone Rant: Is this guy too negative, or has a point?

Huffington Post: If You Like Your Xbox 360, You Can Keep Your Xbox 360

What an interesting attempt at a humorous title, for a Huffington Post article!

But his point (I think) is that the "Xbox None" is touted as being the center of your multimedia universe, and it's the Xbox 360 that really is. Why is it that no other reviewers have come up with these observations?

I agree with everything that guy said and have made similar statements to people. I'm hoping they address some of this stuff in the very near future, as I really did enjoy being able to browse my media content on my big flat screen. That said, I buy video game consoles to play video games and I can do that just fine so for right now I'm happy enough. I'll admit, if they don't get the external HD support going, and add the media content browsing/playing from the unit and not the PC, I probably will be using my 360 more than the One or the PS4 (which can't even play mp3) in the future.

I'm loving the snap feature. Used it quite a bit last night with IE and TV actually. I was surprised, since I had a tablet right next to me that I could have used. But I enjoyed not having to completely look away from the TV to surf webpages.

But I completely agree with browsing my music and pictures. I have a laptop, so 'pushing' music to the X1 isn't as big of a deal for me. But it's a definite step backward, and so I simply end up going back to my 360 to listen to music. Makes no sense. But this is month 1....I have high hopes. That along with ever-expanding apps, and I think the future is bright.

One more thing: I have kids and time is always tight. So to be able to instantly switch between a game and watching TV (FiOS) is extremely nice. Now when I switch from TV to WiiU or 360, the extra 30 seconds seems like an eternity (what a first world problem! :) )

Did you read this comment by Christian Cazares (teajack)?
wahh wahh...its a gaming console not a Media center. You want all the extras get an apple tv or WD media center for less than 100 bucks. Who wants to look at their pics from their computer or access music?? Seems like you need to get rid of the Xbox and rethink your needs and wants of gadgetry. Dont just buy for the hype. Besides all the features it does now were explained way before it was released.

Is he nuts? All we've been hearing is that the Xbone is an all-in-one media center. It will do everything under the sun, and oh yeah, it can play games too.

• Like 2

More features will come in time, particularly once app support is in place. Neither the PS4 or Xbox One are anywhere near their potential nor what they'll be even by the middle of next year, let alone even further out.

It's a strange new world with console releases. I fully expect needed features to be removed and useless features to be added. It's like having a mechanic that opens your garage and violates your car at random intervals throughout its life.

• Like 4

I also think it will come in time as long as people demand it. The thing I miss on the PS4 is MP3 playback but its not my primary player.

But if I can talk to the guy that wrote the article I would tell him this:

Computers (PC, Linux, MAC's) are the best things to use for media, streaming and other stuff and they can be hooked up anywhere in the house these days. You are NOT stuck in front of a computer anymore.

Even the most non computer literate person can get a home network setup with a MAC or PC these days.

Just use the consoles for gaming that's what they are there for.

Edited by cimerians

Article says:
"My 360 naturally connected to my home network and my Windows PC’s music collection. Because the 360 was wired to our home theater I would sit back in my recliner, browse through my music and play whatever I wanted. The “None” can’t do that.
Instead, I have to get up and walk over to the home office, pick the music on my PC, “Play-to” my Xbox None, then go back and sit down in the living room. And I have to do this every time I want to change the playlist or the genre, completely ruining the music experience."

I say:
"Ahhww.. poor baby get up off your fat duff and change the playlist! Or smarten up yo'lame ass brain and build a proper iTunes micro-kiosk at every music listening point in the room.

Article says:
"I have to first upload my photos to Microsoft’s “SkyDrive” (it’s a Dropbox clone) which is limited to 7gb (my photo collection is over 100gb) before I can show them on the Xbox None. With 1 Mb/s upload speeds that means it takes 14 hours put up the pictures I want to see which essentially makes this a useless feature for our living room."

I say:
Aww poor baby. Build youself a photo viewer station and network it as you see fit! I do not feel sorry if you're stupid enough to want to use the cloud because it is the hip thing to do. Fuck the cloud and gasseous stink that blows around it.

Article says:
"When you buy the next generation of a product, you naturally expect that it will do all the things your original product did and do them better. "

I say:
"Ohh boy oh boy, you better get with the times and realize that new is not always better. Especially with Operating Systems and utility computing devices. They are more restricting and dumbed-down than ever. In an attempt to appeal to more stupid people they sacrifice advanced functionality us smart people can use. Besides, Xbox One is not a media center! Duhh..

One should expect better functionality in the newer products. Not this dumbed down crap being sold today.

I'll admit I was surprised when I found out the 2TB External drive I just bought wouldn't be supported at launch, even though they had been touting that it would be.

Right now it sits, unopened in it's box. I do expect that it will eventually be supported, as they have already confirmed that it was coming. If at that time I can browse my 1000's of mps's, pictures and movies. Then I'll be a happy camper. The good thing about the "crap" sold today is they constantly add features via updates that take minutes, and often times for free. Something a person didn't even dream about when console first hit the market. I hear people say how great consoles used to be, and crappy they are now. I can't say I agree. The 360 was one of the greatest console ever released in my opinion. I have fond memories of my old Atari 2600, but I used the 360 even more, and given the choice between the two, the 360 would win easily. It was a console that evolved over time, and kept getting better every year I thought. Hoping the One will be equally impressive!

I agree that the 360 is one of the greatest consoles of all time, but....all the features that make it such, it started life with. I actually enjoy messing with the system itself far less now days than when I first bought the damn thing back in 07...that's what all the "updates" did for it. I miss the clean simple "blade" front end the system used to have, and I hate that the VAST MAJORITY of the little useless windows the system has now are just there to pimp slut and whore out products, many of which are not even related to Xbox or microsoft. It's basically windows 8, why can't I flick off the little icons I won't be using anyways? What's with a separate window for Games, Music, online, aps, etc, they really couldn't just have one page for all that called apps or something? (seriously, they all apply)

I was surprised when a friend told me the One couldn't rip a CD....What a crock. I think he was just making that shit up, ever since consoles have had enough memory you could rip a CD, there's no reason for it not to.

Then I heard someone say that the PS4 couldn't even READ a CD. WTF is up with that?

I know, I know, "but nobody uses CD's anymore" Well, that's cool. You just met "nobody" Hi!

• Like 2

I agree that the 360 is one of the greatest consoles of all time, but....all the features that make it such, it started life with.

Hmmm not sure I agree with this.

Off the top of my head a media content update that allowed it to play different video file types from your PC was released early on. Installing a game to the HDD to improve load times came much later. You forgot that the 360 didn't used to support USB drives the first few years? No longer did you have to stream from your PC, you could just load up a 15GB USB drive with files. Awesome update. And how about the flood of apps that came years after it's release? (YouTube, Netflix, + about 100 other apps) The 360 evolved over time. Even the dash today looks nothing like the blades system it started with. Just don't understand your statement at all. You're right though, the 360 could rip CDs out of the box. I agree MS needs to work on the local media capabilities of the One. I suspect, like the 360, the One will evolve over time.

So a few things that I think about the subjects presented in this thread...

1) Anyone that says someone should only judge the Xbone on its gaming capabilities is an MS apologist. MS themselves are marketing the console as much more than a game system. They want consumers to consider it the center of their entertainment universe. If they intend to be successful in that endeavor the system needs to at least have the same media capabilities that the 360 had. Complaining about missing certain media features is a completely legitimate complaint when it comes to the Xbone.

2) They will add features over time. It would be a safe bet to assume that the Xbone today will not have much in common with the EOL Xbone aesthetically hardware-wise or software-wise. The system will also be capable of a number of things that it is not capable of today. They can make detrimental changes as well. The PS3 showed that those changes can be immediately unpopular but they have little effect on the success of the system over the long-term. MS is not oblivious to those results. Anyone that thinks they have completely given up on all the unpopular ideas that they were so excited about is delusional.

3) One of the biggest motivating factors behind moving to the current 360 interface, and the development of the Xbone interface, was to show you as many ads as possible while providing enough useful GUI components in any particular part of the UI to justify its existence. I get absolutely sick of the number of ads the 360 dashboard inundates me with. I already bought your console, I already paid for my Live subscription... get the fucking ads out of my face. Blocking them at the router is not an acceptable solution. That leaves empty pointless boxes all over the interface. As a Live Gold subscriber I want an option to opt out. This is one thing I love about the PS3. I only see ads on the PS3 interface when I actually highlight a service where I would buy something. And the ads that are shown for any particular selection are relevant. I hate the 360 UI. HATE IT.

• Like 2

Article says:

"My 360 naturally connected to my home network and my Windows PC’s music collection. Because the 360 was wired to our home theater I would sit back in my recliner, browse through my music and play whatever I wanted. The “None” can’t do that.

Instead, I have to get up and walk over to the home office, pick the music on my PC, “Play-to” my Xbox None, then go back and sit down in the living room. And I have to do this every time I want to change the playlist or the genre, completely ruining the music experience."

I say:

"Ahhww.. poor baby get up off your fat duff and change the playlist! Or smarten up yo'lame ass brain and build a proper iTunes micro-kiosk at every music listening point in the room.

Article says:

"I have to first upload my photos to Microsoft’s “SkyDrive” (it’s a Dropbox clone) which is limited to 7gb (my photo collection is over 100gb) before I can show them on the Xbox None. With 1 Mb/s upload speeds that means it takes 14 hours put up the pictures I want to see which essentially makes this a useless feature for our living room."

I say:

Aww poor baby. Build youself a photo viewer station and network it as you see fit! I do not feel sorry if you're stupid enough to want to use the cloud because it is the hip thing to do. Fuck the cloud and gasseous stink that blows around it.

Article says:

"When you buy the next generation of a product, you naturally expect that it will do all the things your original product did and do them better. "

I say:

"Ohh boy oh boy, you better get with the times and realize that new is not always better. Especially with Operating Systems and utility computing devices. They are more restricting and dumbed-down than ever. In an attempt to appeal to more stupid people they sacrifice advanced functionality us smart people can use. Besides, Xbox One is not a media center! Duhh..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=024rn0gXUng

• Like 1

... My son no longer needs to stop playing COD when his sister Skypes him from Virginia. He just snaps Skype to the side and keeps on fragging...

I love the way the camera works too.. if someone walks in the room to say "Hello" it pans out to include them in the picture. When they leave it goes back to his face.

Really cool stuff is happening and it is only going to get better as the system matures.

It's a strange new world with console releases. I fully expect needed features to be removed and useless features to be added. It's like having a mechanic that opens your garage and violates your car at random intervals throughout its life.

This a thousand times this. This is why I'm still holding off on 360/PS3 games, and why I refuse to buy current gen machines (except the 3DS). I want a plain jane game console, keep the BS thank you very much.

More features will come in time, particularly once app support is in place. Neither the PS4 or Xbox One are anywhere near their potential nor what they'll be even by the middle of next year, let alone even further out.

This to me is just another check box in the column containing reasons to wait at least a year after a console is released to purchase it.

• Like 2

This to me is just another check box in the column containing reasons to wait at least a year after a console is released to purchase it.

I'm not going to lie. If I didn't have wads of mad cash, I'd wait. Neither of the latest consoles is worth purchasing right now in my opinion.

That might be solid advice for any launch system, or most launch systems anyways. I was totally UNDERwelmed by the PS2 launch, but a year later things picked up, and it became a solid system well worth the $$ in my eyes.

Xbox 360 blew my socks off right away, it's one of the best consoles ever in my opinion, with the strongest launch line up of any system ever. It was worth a day one purchase. I guess it's a crap-shoot.

Xbox One isn't near as impressive as the 360. Dead Rising 3 is GREAT for sure, but it'll probably be $19.99 a year from now. Most promised features aren't implemented yet. The system as it stands seems unfinished. I wouldn't rush out and buy one. Give it a year AtariLeaf.

• Like 4

Exploring the functionality of the One last night, many of these concerns popped into my head as well, particularly the ability (or the lack of) to rip MP3s from CDs. I have a nice physical music collection, and with the 360 I could simply rip the discs to the hard drive, but it appears that function is gone now. Sure, I can just flip to my 360 that's next to my One, but why would I want to do that? I'd rather have this functionality in the $500 brand-new box I just bought, heh.

Exploring the functionality of the One last night, many of these concerns popped into my head as well, particularly the ability (or the lack of) to rip MP3s from CDs. I have a nice physical music collection, and with the 360 I could simply rip the discs to the hard drive, but it appears that function is gone now. Sure, I can just flip to my 360 that's next to my One, but why would I want to do that? I'd rather have this functionality in the $500 brand-new box I just bought, heh.

Can you do it from flash drives?

I'm not sure if it supports flash drives at the moment.

It doesn't, nor does it support the previously mentioned external hard drives.

If you were plugging your new console as the hub of all entertainment, like the One was/is, you'd have thought at the very least USB flash drives would be supported (the 360 has no issues with this)

Obviously external hard drive support would be the ultimate! Imagine ripping all your CDs and movies to a 2TB hard drive and playing them from your One! Maybe external HD support will come soon...like they mentioned before the console was released...maybe....

Like I said...unfinished.

I'm not going to lie. If I didn't have wads of mad cash, I'd wait.

You're "the man," moycon, for bringin' on the honesty. If I had "mad cash," I'd probably get one, too. HA! enjoyed your post.