IGNORED

Fighter pilots needed in sector wars...

PacManPlus

Thanks, Guys!

@Mark - the message actually stays on the screen the whole time the laser temp is critical (It changes to 'overheated' when it overheats). This is so you know when the message disappears your laser temp is back in the 'normal' range without taking your eyes off the playfield. :)

Thanks again,

Bob

Also , on sector 4 when they come out diagnal then it stops and then says secret bonus then they show up again so I shoot one then I go on to the next screen . Is this normal ? It seems to me like random secret bonuses just come up quite a bit .

Edited by AtariBrian
  • Like 1

When I got to sector 3 screen 1 where there are only 4 enemies . I missed on a shot and also didnt shoot them in order but got a secret bonus ?

Ok - After a little research I found that it was awarding Secret Bonus #12 (kill all enemies before they reach the bottom) when it shouldn't for that squadron. That has been fixed and attached here as RC8

Also , on sector 4 when they come out diagonal then it stops and then says secret bonus then they show up again so I shoot one then I go on to the next screen . Is this normal ? It seems to me like random secret bonuses just come up quite a bit .

I did it again and let some of them exit and shot them all after they entered again and still got a secret bonus .

If you're talking about the rockets, they don't "enter again" as the same squadron. There are 2 waves of rockets back to back... Once set comes in from the left, the other from the right. But they are separate squadrons. So if you shot the second squadron of 4 rockets either in order or before they exit the bottom of the screen, you will get a secret bonus, even if you missed all of the first squadron of 4 rockets.

Either way, if anyone gets a secret bonus they think is not deserved, please let me know which Sector, which Squadron (if possible) and the Secret Bonus Number you got (please).

Thanks,

Bob

If you're talking about the rockets, they don't "enter again" as the same squadron. There are 2 waves of rockets back to back... Once set comes in from the left, the other from the right. But they are separate squadrons. So if you shot the second squadron of 4 rockets either in order or before they exit the bottom of the screen, you will get a secret bonus, even if you missed all of the first squadron of 4 rockets.

Either way, if anyone gets a secret bonus they think is not deserved, please let me know which Sector, which Squadron (if possible) and the Secret Bonus Number you got (please).

Thanks,

Bob

Ok , but I only shot 1 rocket not all 4 and I still got a bonus . Also there is a random start up that is not happening every time . I keep shutting the power off on my console and turning it back on to see if I can make it do it . Most of the time it doesnt but sometimes it goes to the options screen for a second or 2 and then the game just starts before I press anything at all .

Edited by AtariBrian

Ah. Ok - the way it was written, it sounded like two separate instances. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :( I'll look at it.

Regarding the options screen, does it happen immediately after a game, just after you turn the unit on, or just letting it sit?

Does this happen to anyone else?

Thanks,

Bob

I just turned my console on again to try it after it has been off for a while . Turned it on didnt touch a single thing and it went to the options screen and about 3 or 4 seconds later the game just started . And all the other times it happened it was right after I turned the power on . Once it happened I would turn the power off and on off and on try get it to do it again . The next two times I shut the power off and on it did Not happen . So its intermittent .

Edited by AtariBrian

Thank you - ok, so I assume it was just after the intro voice where the game would start?

Also, (believe it or not, this is important) Did you have a ProLine, Single button joystick, or nothing at all plugged in to the joystick port?

Thanks,

Bob

Anyone else notice the same issue?

Hi:

I was able to trace the Rocket issue, awarding Secret Bonus #3 when it shouldn't - it only happened with the enemies that ended when they reached the bottom of the screen.

I also prevented the 2nd player from being able to start the game (like most of the others).

If the 'automatic start' still happens, please let me know what type of joystick is plugged in, and if it happens with regular 'Asteroids' as well (it's using the same code).

Thank you. I guess this isn't happening to anyone else?

Thanks,

Bob

AstBlstr.A78

AstBlstr.bin

• Like 5

I guess this isn't happening to anyone else?

Wish I had a CC2 or the Harmony 2 was out to tell you, Bob. Best I can do is via emulation.

Of course a cycle accurate 7800 emulator would suffice for testing ;)

Someone out there, someday may make it - Or MESS emulation will evolve to that point.

BTW, MESS does have the functionality to remove controllers/devices/insert different types (number of buttons) into a control port, just not incorporated into the 7800 driver yet.

Along the lines of finding some more bugs, I've been trying, but my Astro Blaster skill/knowledge is no-where near for example, Donkey Kong. I do comparisons between the Arcade and your port; however, there is somewhat of a learning curve trying to mimic what is going on in the Arcade and my action(s) that do/should (or do/should not) trigger something, and how your port is 'behaving'.

Even though it's a bit obscure than a Phoenix/Galaga/Space Invaders/Galaxian for me; loving the game and your port brings a whole new level of appreciation for (and practice of playing) it. ;-)

Thank you. I guess this isn't happening to anyone else?

Only just got a chance to finally try this last night..

Wow, great game!!!! (Of course)

Didn't see the problem, but it wasn't a very long test and since it was described as intermittent, I'll keep testing.

FYI, I have a 2 button Atari 7800 Europad in port 1 and nothing plugged into port 2 currently.

desiv

My main problem is that I'm not good enough to be able to make it past Sector 4. I've made it to Sector 4 only twice and quickly died. It's a great game though and very close to the arcade, through MAME as least. I'd like to commend you for sharing the process of testing the progress through the forum. It's fun to watch it progress through it's many phases to completion.

Chuck

If your taking suggestions for more games, I'd like to see Space Taxi on the 7800.

What do you think Bob is password possible?

I don't think that Bob would WANT to be password possible. It just seems wrong somehow.

And thus illustrates the importance of commas. "Let's eat grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat, grandma!" Please you commas, we love our grandmothers!

Hi Guys!

Thanks! But I think we have the level 4 issues down - they were mainly with the rockets / the enemies that ended when they reach the bottom of the screen (which you also would have seen in the first sector on the 'hard' difficulty - just thought of that now, so don't beat me up too much).

The main thing I am trying to find out is if that 'ghost starting' issue that AtariBrian pointed out is something just with his 7800 (which is why I asked him to try the 'Asteroids' cart the same way he tested Astro Blaster), or if there is some issue with the program.

I could see that happening if there is some sort of short in the wiring if he's using a modded joystick... Not saying that's what it is, just trying to eliminate possibilities.

Thanks,

Bob

EDIT- @Jaynz: :lol:

Just FYI,

I've powered my 7800 with CC2 on/off about 10 times this morning.

Went straight to AstroBlaster. Didn't hit any buttons (Other than what was required to select and start AstroBlaster in the CC2 menu).

It just went to the normal demo every time.

Haven't seen it go into the option screen and/or start the game yet..

I've tried both powering off/on with the 7800 power button and with the on/off switch I have on my power strip.

Again, NTSC 7800 with Atari "Europad" 2-button controller in port 1 and nothing in port 2.

desiv