IGNORED

Fighter pilots needed in sector wars...

PacManPlus

How do you control fuel usage?

AFAIK (And someone more knowledgeable, if wrong please correct me), you don't...

It 'ticks' down at the same rate regardless of what you do and the trick is to finish the boards as quick as possible; of course you have to watch not over-heating your laser, so you can't just keep rapidly firing (Button mashing).

Basically, you have to practice getting your shots as accurate as possible and as fast as possible without causing the laser to overheat. :)

And a little luck don't hurt either :-D

It 'ticks' down at the same rate regardless of what you do and the trick is to finish the boards as quick as possible; of course you have to watch not over-heating your laser, so you can't just keep rapidly firing (Button mashing).

Basically, you have to practice getting your shots as accurate as possible and as fast as possible without causing the laser to overheat. :)

Astro Fighter and Astro Blaster require the player shoot accurately which in that regard makes them unique to other space shooters of that era.

:) Cool video, Trebor.

When you shoot fireballs before the docking screen, the arcade game says, "Extra fuel."

Yep, that's by design that this port doesn't. It would become annoying for everything to stop every time you hit a fireball for it to say 'extra fuel' (plus there is no room for it), and it wasn't imperative to gameplay to display a message on the screen. Once someone knows they get extra fuel for hitting a fireball (and it's written in the manual), they know what to shoot for. :)

Thanks,

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Because of the fun I've had playing this game in the Prosystem emulator so far and because I've listened to the Astro Blaster edition of the No Quarters podcast, I went and sought out the original game to play on MAME this past weekend. After doing so, I found that I like Bob's version a lot better as I can actually get to and get past the docking stage on his version whereas I am constantly running out of fuel on the original.

Thanks for making it not completely accurate, Bob. :)