IGNORED

Fighter pilots needed in sector wars...

PacManPlus

My copy arrived yesterday. (I guess the Post Office delivered it on a Sunday because it was behind schedule in terms of its estimated arrival.) This is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. I've been playing it in emulation, as I said before, but nothing beats the real thing. My 3-year-old made me play several rounds of it this afternoon so she could watch, and even asked me to let her play it herself. Guess it's a hit with her, and it certainly is with me. Tremendous work, Bob, and a big thanks to Al for getting it into our hands so quickly! Thank you gents so much!

• Like 3

Unfortunately missed this release. Albert, are there more coming anytime soon to the AA store?

Yes, I hope to make another batch of Astro Blaster and K.C. Munchkin available in January. I need more 7800-compatible shells (this includes Atari red label releases and later gray-label releases that use the same 7800 shells).

..Al

• Like 1

Thank you - Glad people are enjoying it!

Have a wonderful Holiday everyone.

????????????????????

I received my cart in the mail a few days ago....I just want to say, you did an awesome port if Astro Blasters....I think this might be my favorite so far.

Its right up there with Moon Crests.. ..I love it and space shooters were always my favorite arcade games when I was a kid.

Great work my friend. ???????????

Edited by Stun Runner 87
  • Like 1

Yes, I hope to make another batch of Astro Blaster and K.C. Munchkin available in January. I need more 7800-compatible shells (this includes Atari red label releases and later gray-label releases that use the same 7800 shells).

..Al

Thank you Al for your prompt service.

Came in the mail before Christmas.

Great timing. ???

You Are appreciated.

• Like 1

Thanks again, Guys - I thing AB was one of the most fun games to work on.

Plus, I had Schmutzpuppe's help with the speech part. He is amazing on how he got that going - I still don't understand *why* it works!

Unfortunately my mind doesn't shut off completely once I was done. I think, If my theory is correct, I could have used bank switching to get most of the speech in the game that didn't interfere directly with the action. I think I could have switched banks for the speech and then switch back immediately.

Well, it's done now, so... :(

Thanks again :)

Bob

• Like 3

I think, If my theory is correct, I could have used bank switching to get most of the speech in the game that didn't interfere directly with the action. I think I could have switched banks for the speech and then switch back immediately.

I wouldn't let it bother you too much, Bob. Paradoxically, not having those extra speech parts occasionally wakes me up to the fact that this is a port on the 7800 and I'm holding a ProLine in my hand rather than working my MAME controls on the arcade version. I'm sure I've mentioned this before. Nevertheless, it does show me just how good the work on this game was and just how authentic a reproduction it is.

Big :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to Schmutzpuppe for that amazing voice work! I still get giggly when I hear it.

• Like 2

Thanks again, Guys - I thing AB was one of the most fun games to work on.

Plus, I had Schmutzpuppe's help with the speech part. He is amazing on how he got that going - I still don't understand *why* it works!

Unfortunately my mind doesn't shut off completely once I was done. I think, If my theory is correct, I could have used bank switching to get most of the speech in the game that didn't interfere directly with the action. I think I could have switched banks for the speech and then switch back immediately.

Well, it's done now, so... :(

Thanks again :)

Bob

That would be completely awesome , I would love to have a copy if you ever decided to make a special addition one with speech ... different label to differentiate .

So it could do all speech and run the gameplay interrupted? That would be awesome. What about the atari voice plug thingy. Would that work better or its not needed. Of so it could be sold as a combo?

But anyways I am sure to enjoy this game before my birthday in a few weeks as it and KC are on its way.

No no - "how" the speech is heard will remain the same (it takes up *all* CPU time, which is why everything has to stop). I meant being able to fit all of the other phrases (and I would have only used ones that didn't interfere with actual gameplay) into the game. i.e. "Zero ships remaining - play over".

I've moved on to two other games, but things like that (and for example my Pac 320 games) will stick in my craw. :)

Bob

I play this a lot. More than I thought I would. Should've got KC also, now I will have to wait.

I pushed for more speech, because the original used so much speech.

I suggested different encoding rates and where you have to trade off quality for quantity of speech.

I can still help with samples and AtariVox+ speech if you get the urge to make a "Deluxe" version.

It is great without speech also. I like to think it was what would have come out for the 7800 had it been a huge success, minus the great sound and minus the arcade accurate movements and gameplay.

In this case, like with Moon Cresta, arcade accurate movement/gameplay transcends any compromises and makes it worth owning a cartridge!

• Like 1

I play this a lot. More than I thought I would. Should've got KC also, now I will have to wait.

I pushed for more speech, because the original used so much speech.

I suggested different encoding rates and where you have to trade off quality for quantity of speech.

I can still help with samples and AtariVox+ speech if you get the urge to make a "Deluxe" version.

It is great without speech also. I like to think it was what would have come out for the 7800 had it been a huge success, minus the great sound and minus the arcade accurate movements and gameplay.

In this case, like with Moon Cresta, arcade accurate movement/gameplay transcends any compromises and makes it worth owning a cartridge!

I tried all of that. It came down to ROM space. I didn't think about bank switching for just the speech at the time. Probably because I try to use the least amount of ROM possible...

... now I'm starting to think that maybe I should keep my thoughts to myself, rather than open a can of worms... :(

Thank you for the compliments though! :)

It was made by you the way you wanted it and felt it should be. I don't know anything about how these games are made so its all interesting to hear the behind the scenes stuff.

We all appreciate you creating games for the 7800 and you should feel proud of another masterpiece!! :)

• Like 3

I agree with the others. You set goals for yourself-- 48KB ROM, so you didn't have to bankswitch, and whatever gameplay and voice samples you could fit into that. And from what I've seen (given that I've only played the ROM -- I'll have to find my/buy another 7800 before I can even think about buying a cartridge), I think you definitely succeeded... as usual, King Friday. :grin: Anything else added onto that would just be icing on the cake.

But I agree, and definitely with the random things I've been doing with 7800Basic to familiarize myself with it, and trying to actually churn something out, I admit that I've been going back and forth-- mainly, should I do 8x8 or 8x16 sprites?

And I also have to admit, one thing I found interesting, was on the title screen, when you hear the "Fighter pilots..." sample, the logo keeps color-cycling. I just thought that was pretty cool, since I thought SALLY could only work on playing the sound, and nothing else.