IGNORED

Venture for the Atari 5200

Kjmann

Is this topic related?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/218575-venture-official-release

I never heard about this project so an announcement without further info is confusing me :)

Yes we released that last Month.

I would love to buy a ROM version, even at full price. I do not have a 5200 and have no plans to get one.

We will Never release a ROM version.

Is it going to be $50 ?

We wont know until we find out how much the the carts will cost to make.

-Sal (Kjmann)

Edited by Kjmann

Sal, you still haven't provided any good reason as to why you are unwilling to release a ROM version. Take a look at Bob's titles on the 7800 -- in every case, he releases full ROM versions, even BEFORE they are available on cart (and for free)! This is also typical of 2600 titles and Atari 8 bit titles, as well as several INTV and CV homebrews.

In this case, I am not asking you to release a free ROM, but rather one for purchase, as I do not own a 5200 and am not interested in getting one. Regarding concerns of piracy, each purchaser's information could be easily encoded in the ROM to prevent it -- see D2K on Intellivision as an example of how it's done.

It's obviously your product and your decision, but your stubborn and elitist attitude ("We will NEVER release a ROM version.") means I will in turn not support any of your work. And I know that I am not the only one. You are losing both money and goodwill. But clearly this matters little to you.

I hope not. TBH, for a cart-only no box or manual $50 (which I think is what the release for the 8-bit was?) is very high imo. As much as I'd love to have this I can't see doing more than $35 for just a cart.

This is how I feel for the most part, and why I asked. For me, even with a box and manual it is a lot because I don't care for these things. I think they are cool is about all. Then they go in a box somewhere while the cart stays out to be played. I didn't like paying $50 for Tempest and I won't pay that much for this title. I would purchase a ROM for less but I see that is not going to be possible.

I'm not trying to be discouraging but when I see homebrew prices over $35 it starts to make me think the projects are not being done for the love of the hobby, the community and people who love and continue to use these retro platforms. Whatever the motivation is though, that is fine. It is all good as different things motivate different people. That is just how I see it and my initial reaction to seeing a homebrew priced above $35. I can't claim to know how others think and their perspective on how to gain their intentions. It is just my gut reaction, like I said.

I mean I seriously think if a rom isn't released then the intention was never to bring the game to the masses of fans for said platform. I appreciate homebrew efforts and the work that goes into them. It is beyond my ability, thats for sure. So ive never had a problem throwing my support at anything for the 5200, I even paid 8-bit guy a few bucks for those conversions, but I guess I've decided to draw the line at $35. :)

• Like 1

I'll buy a cart. I think everyone complaining about a developer's decision about how they will release and what they will price it at should lay off and develop their own games. Besides, you should own a 5200 -- it's a pretty cool machine.

I'm not complaining, just stating my opinion. I guess in the end the lack of sales will speak for itself, but if someone can use Atari Age to sell their product for profit, potential buyers should feel comfortable to state how they feel about it.

• Like 1

..... I guess in the end the lack of sales will speak for itself, .....

I hope, if the price is high anyway....

I didn't want to come off as complaining, but the price of the A8 cart immediately has me anticipating the same high price for this.

If that turns out to be true, I won't support it and my above posts says why. Developers should know how the potential customer base thinks.

The way Tep392 brought us his Pac-man arcade conversion was done prefectly IMO. Very much for the community. Affordable and easily accessible (rom) and beautiful carts for collectors (or those who love individual carts).

• Like 1

I'll buy a cart. I think everyone complaining about a developer's decision about how they will release and what they will price it at should lay off and develop their own games. Besides, you should own a 5200 -- it's a pretty cool machine.

It's the developer's attitude about it and lack of any sensible justification that rubs people the wrong way.

As for me, I have no interest in owning a machine that I cannot repair when the joysticks break down, if I can even find one that works in the first place. And other than Venture, Koffi (ROM available), and Adventure II (ROM also available), there is little if anything I cannot find done as well or better on another system.

I'll be content without this 5200 or 8 bit Venture; it's largely a copycat of the CV version anyway.

Edited by DoctorTom

• 3 weeks later...

You know, honestly... I haven't that much money to spend. I am not a man of means, and that is for me to live with. I just have more needs than wants. $50 is a ton to me. I'm not bitchin', I just offered that both sides listen to each other. Let's not muddy the water that lies between developers, and players.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...