IGNORED

I need a hand. setting up Batari Basic (non visual)

paulblart

Hello, I can't seem to figure this out. I want to program in the original Basic just like I used to on the Atari 800 when I was a kid. I'm using a windows 7 os and I have 32 at work and 64 at home. I have tried several times to download the link from the Batari Basic download page from the batari basic website. I can unzip the files and try to run 2600bas and it gives me a command prompt window that flashes and goes away quickly. I have tried several times. anybody know what I should do? I can hardly wait to get my feet wet coding with line numbers again.

That's not the version you should be using. Check out this section:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#gettingstarted

And to make things easier to set up, you might want to also download VbB:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#ideforbb

batari Basic is a low level language that turns logic, sprite, Playfield, background, and register commands into assembly language.

It is not Microsoft Basic.

You have to learn a bit about what the 2600 hardware does/is doing, so you can program what you want it to do.

Programs are written in a text editor.

Compiled code fits into 4K banks, or with bank switching more than one 4K bank.

The files you downloaded take that text file and create an assembly binary that the Atari or an emulator will run.

Ive done my homework so far so I understand the basics of how the hardware works. I have the original self teaching manual for Atari BASIC and I would like to use it but I cant find the software. I guess its the IDE im looking for the original blue screen with programs written using line numbers. ive seen people on youtube using it but I cant find it. is that crimson? I have the latest version of Batari Visual Basic and it is working fine but I want to program the original way.

Edited by paulblart

Crimson Editor is one of the IDEs I use to program in batari Basic. It's free, and can be found here:

http://crimsoneditor.com/

Edit: But I'm thinking you might be talking about the old BASIC Programming cart for the Atari 2600, not batari Basic?

Sorry, I take that back-- I think you mean Atari BASIC for the Atari 800, right? If so, you should head over to the 800 sub-forum. There are Atari 800 emulators for modern computers that you can use to run the old programs-- or create your own-- on your PC as though you were doing it on an old Atari 800.

Edited by SeaGtGruff