IGNORED

Super Donkey Kong

digress

Apparently I just played super donkey kong for the coleco adam for the first time. I thought I had tried it before.

Just got some original adam tapes in the mail.

I knew there was a 4th screen but I didn't realize there was additional animation, better graphics and cuts scenes as well as the proper donkey kong title on the splash screen. Very cool.

Anyways what an excellent version. I would be very happy to get this version on cartridge for colecovision.

How much trouble would it be to convert this? I assume you would need the Super game module the same as for draginslair & super zaxxon. Check! I have one.

What is it that needs converting? If the extra memory is available shouldn't it just work? Or is it the memory is at a different address than the adams.

This is not my video but in case someone wanted to see some of the differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1DsIUVmzoI

I'm definitely going to buy the opcode version when it's released. 2 copies if possible.

I think this version is excellent also and I'd love to have a conversion of it for the stand alone coleco. The Adam is great but the load time is long from the tapes and harder to move into the living room to play on a bigger screen.

Does anyone have any idea on that release date? That is by far the most epic version of DK for CV ever.

I'm definitely going to buy the opcode version when it's released. 2 copies if possible.

I think this version is excellent also and I'd love to have a conversion of it for the stand alone coleco. The Adam is great but the load time is long from the tapes and harder to move into the living room to play on a bigger screen.

Yes, I came across this on ebay... Is this the same version available on the Adam (in tape format)? I think the opcode version takes it even closer to the actual arcade version including the correct placement of DK, fireballs, and sideways perpendicular falling barrels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLECOVISION-SUPER-DONKEY-KONG-CARTRIDGE-ONLY-/221323300724?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3387e58f74

I agree Donkey Kong on the Adam is awesome! I believe there is already a Super Donkey Kong cart produced for the ColecoVision, and I believe it's for the SGM.

Yip ... Me 2

This is most likely a copy of the CGE release in early 2000s.

They found protos of a work in progress of trying to put the Adam version of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr to colecovision carts.

Unfortunately they are not finished.

Donkey Kong has no collision detection on the 4th level and Donkey Kong Jr only has one of the extra screens.

I do have the authentic versions of these games from the CGE release. I know it is not one of these labels but I know a couple different kinds were made. Not sure if this is one of the labels or not though so it could be a repo of that CGE release.

I agree Donkey Kong on the Adam is awesome! I believe there is already a Super Donkey Kong cart produced for the ColecoVision, and I believe it's for the SGM.

There is no concrete information as to where the ColecoVision version of "Donkey Kong - Super Game" or "Super Donkey Kong" as it's been referred to as for years, came from. The best information I have been able to obtain is that this Super Donkey Kong version for the ColecoVision was actually produced by Coleco programmers and according to Sean Kelly, was housed in an extra large cartridge shell due to the larger PCB that was required for the additional rom chips (even though it is a 32K rom). I am assuming that this version was created specifically for demoing the in-develoment ADAM Computer at trade shows and quite possible would have been hidden out of site and viewers of the demo would have thought they were watching the ADAM in operation. I could be off base here with my conspiracy theory, but it was a Coleco programmer or programmers who created this version seeing as the large collection that I acquired from a former Coleco employee a couple years ago contained the rom image on a Data Pack that was created with the Coleco In-House Cart Copier... so it wasn't an attempt at converting the ADAM data pack Super Game to ColecoVision format by a Homebrew programmer in the late 90's or early 2000's as has been suggested by some.

The first cartridge production of Super Donkey Kong was indeed made in the early 2000's by Sean Kelly and made available for purchase at CGE. Since that time, a number of others have sold cart of SDK as well and there are about 3 different label designs that I have seen.

As ColecoDan has stated, the 4th screen was not completely finished and there is no sprite collision detection, but everything else is there including the intermissions. There were two versions of Super DK Jr. made for the ADAM, but only one was officially released. The 4 screen version was released and contains all the arcade levels and intermissions. The 5 screen version was unreleased, but found it way out of the doors of Coleco and was spread around amongst the ADAM community. This 5 screen version was originally planned to be the version released, but Nintendo balked about this new level being added, so the 4 screen version was released.

It would be nice to see Mysery Man convert both Super DK and Super DK Jr. to ColecoVision cart format (it would require the SGM to be able to play on a CV, but the SGM

would not be required on an ADAM) even if Opcode's version is far superior since it's a direct port from the arcade version. There is plenty of room for both to co-exist.

• Like 3

Is there any advantage to a wireless keyboard over a wired one when you knock a can of coke over on it like I did a few days ago?

I guess it all depends if the coke was of the liquid variety or the white powdery type. If it was the white stuff, then you can still save it by using a rolled up $100 bill. :-o

• Haha 1