IGNORED

Atari 8 bit Sector Editor wanted

Kyle22

I remember back in the day, there were lots of different sector editors out there, some good, some not so good. I had one that was awesome, but I forgot the name. I have looked everywhere for it. I remember it supports double density, it also allows bit manipulation of the buffer. For example, if there is text XORd with a number, it is possible to read it, and even edit it.

It loads under Sparta, but the directory / vtoc / link functions only work under AtariDOS and compatibles. It has pattern search, and + - (or maybe arrows) next / previous sector scan.

If anyone remembers this great tool, please let me know. I need it for a project or two.

Thanks!

-Kyle

Not sure if they are of help to you but my favourite editors were:

Disky II is a really nice tool (*u010a) [you can apply hex masks - I have a list of all the keys somewhere if needed]

Disk Wizard II (*u160a)

Would be nice if someone could patch Disky II for use on DD/ED etc :ponder: ;)

* can be downloaded from Pokeysoft

Eddy is very good, and what I normally use. The editor that I remember allowed using keys to increment / decrement a number that the buffer is XORd with. This is nice for finding / changing hidden text, for example. Eddy only has an invert command.

I wish I could remember the name, that would make my search so much easier. Thanks to everyone above for their suggestions, but I have already tried every one of them.

-K

Thanks for suggestions everyone. I still haven't found it. Disk master (89) is close to what I remember.

Happy Master Quad looks very nice, if only I can figure out what to tweak in the OS to add a help key to the 800.

The $79 KEYDEF vector won't work, Maybe $2DC HELPFG? I was hoping to re-map CTRL-? to help. That's off-topic anyway. sorry.

I am trying to hack a program I wrote years ago. At the time, I obfuscated everything in an attempt to make it as un-hackable as possible. I have lost the source code long ago, and I want to make some changes. That is why I am looking for this.

-K

I hear a Hacking Contest brewing :) wanna post it and see who gets it first?

Sure. It is attached. Zipped Compiled Turbo BASIC. It is a demo version, and when you try to print, it overlays the picture with the "registration" text. I sliced and diced all the strings in it before compiling to make it as difficult as possible to modify with a sector editor. Even if you change the text that overlays the picture, there will still be blank bars across it. ***I wish I could find my source disks ***

Good luck to anyone who can figure out this one. I know of no working TBXL de-compiler.

-K

PICPRINT.zip

By the way, Hold OPTION when you read the picture disk to show unprotected files. It only shows protected files without OPTION.. That way, you can have 2 sets of pic files available in the same directory.

It prefers SDX (USE BANKED), but will work with anything as long as OS RAM is free. (No Sparta 3.x).

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 1

Hmm,

afaik the TB XL compiler produces (pure) ML-code, so it should be possible to decompile it. There is the tool "CHKBAS V1.10" from Jindroush to decompile Atari Basic, Basic XL, Basic XE and TB XL. Maybe this tool can also decompile compiled TB XL (*.CTB) ?!? Here is a link to Jindroush`s old webpage, thanks to atarimax for mirroring it: http://www.atarimax.com/jindroush.atari.org/asoft.html

Otherwise, simply ask the best: Homesoft or Fandal, if they can do this for you ;-)

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin