IGNORED

Bentley Bear Crystal Quest Running Without XM!

CPUWIZ

Sorry about the iPhone upside-down business. LOL

I am 95% done routing this, the full $4000-$FFFF address space is available, but POKEY can be addressed at $0400-$047F and $0500-$057F (I hope this http://atarihq.com/danb/files/78map.txt is accurate), if desired. This costs some features, but it rocks the 7800 world (IMHO). I didn't think I could get this working, but a little TTL-FU made it work. :)

I'll post a pic of the PCB design, when it's done. :cool:

P.S. That is the latest version of BBCC, with the POKEY mapped at $0400. ;)

• Like 13

Impressive.

Now just imagine an SD slot, 128K - 1MB RAM, and an AtariMax'ish menuing system. You'd just answered the prayers of most 7800 enthusiasts.

Not interested.

Here we go, boys and girls, this is it (as of 5:30am this morning :sleep: )...

POKEYCart.jpg

• Like 12

Amazing! 1MB bankswitched cartridges, plus POKEY!

I'm curious ... what is the column of "DEV" pins on the left "wing" for? They don't seem to be connected to anything as yet.

Sorry, I had to drop 1MB, but 512K still works. In fact, this board should be able to run every game Atari made, some need a little binary massaging, but nothing earth shattering. And then some, it has a narrow RAM behind the POKEY too.

The dev column is mostly just for me, but could be useful for anyone who likes to hack around (which is why I exposed the HALT & IRQ lines on the PCB as well). I will most likely use it to insert a pin header, so I can wire up the 3 jumper pads and use proper jumpers. ;)

• Like 4

That's right, I forgot. 512K is still an extraordinary amount of ROM for an 8-bit console. Very cool about the RAM also: with RAM and POKEY, that cartridge should definitely be able to do everything Atari's boards did.

I like the idea of having a built-in "geek port", too; I try to do the same with my boards.

Well, since Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest was (presumably) the first game to run on it, why not call it the "Bentley Board"?

Hmm, maybe. That reminds me, this should be able to run Donkey Kong XM, if the POKEY is mapped to the right area. :ponder:

• Like 6

And also Super Circus Atari?

Probably, does anybody have beta ROM's for either of those? And where is the POKEY accessed?

On my setup, the POKEY can be in any of these areas:

$4000-$7FFF (standard Atari mapping)

$0400-$040F

$0410-$041F

$0420-$042F

$0430-$043F

$0440-$044F

$0450-$045F

$0460-$046F

$0470-$047F

$0500-$050F

$0510-$051F

$0520-$052F

$0530-$053F

$0540-$054F

$0550-$055F

$0560-$056F

$0570-$057F

That's right, I forgot. 512K is still an extraordinary amount of ROM for an 8-bit console. Very cool about the RAM also: with RAM and POKEY, that cartridge should definitely be able to do everything Atari's boards did.

I like the idea of having a built-in "geek port", too; I try to do the same with my boards.

Of course, if it was an SD cartridge, there'd be no need for the ROM part. :)

Heh, I just can't help it, empty space on the PCB must be filled with something. :ponder: I added another "toy" to the board, fixed some traces that were too close, "tented" the via's and added a safety jumper to not let a PLD input pin floating, in case the 7432 isn't populated. Also fixed some labels and added a few more. :-D

POKEYCartPlus.jpg

• Like 5