IGNORED

Why the obsession to adding a cartridge port to Flashback 2?

And if you mod a FB2, then you have the more modern wiring to hook it up to a more modern tv. It can go right into the side or front, instead of the back of your tv with no mods to an original 2600. If you like that sort of thing of course.

Otherwise you can stay old school and use an original 2600 into the coaxial port. Which still works and still rocks. :)

• Like 5

I totally understand the "cool factor", but other than that, why do so many people seem to be obsessed with adding a cartridge port to the Flashback 2? Something tells me that all of these folks already have a regular Atari, which are not short in supply.

Because it gives them a chance to bitch about the cartridges that won't work with it. :D

• Like 11

It's a cool thing to do if you don't already have a 2600, 7800, or Coleco/Intelly add-on. A nice way to expand your potential 2600 library while saving on space and also being easy to use on modern televisions.

Personally, I bought my Flashback 2 and 2+ for games that I didn't have or couldn't (easily) get on a regular cartridge. Adventure II, Return to Haunted House, Wizard, Arcade Asteroids, Arcade Pong, Asteroids Deluxe, Lunar Landar, Space Duel, Aquaventure, Atari Climber, Combat 2, Fatal Run, Frog Pond, Save Mary, Caverns of Mars, Quadrun, Saboteur, Yars' Return, etc.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

What is the skill level required to do the mod?

When I get time, I plan to wire my Flashback 2 into a spare Sears Sixer.

I plan to just wire it to the cart port, the switches & controllers so it will "look" like and play like a regular 2600!

Ohhh don't go selling it as an original Sears sixer. :evil:

Edited by xucaen
  • Like 1

I did this. It was fun.

The hardest part was the gray flashback switch wires break off the main board, and the tiny dots where you hook up the cart port.

Use the lowest watt soldering pencil you can.

After I was done, I saw another one with the cart slot in the front lower left, where you slide the cart in flat. I really like that!

med_gallery_29575_733_206364.jpg

• Like 4

What is the skill level required to do the mod?

Plan for it to take ten times as long as you might think and allow lots of time to rest your eyes.

I have done it twice. I won't do it again. Life is too short.

No regrets though. It was a real thrill to pop in a Ms. Pacman cart, turn the FB2 on and confirm it has the real magic in there (most of it at least).

Edited by SIO2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

For those of us who have just gotten back into the Atari 2600, via the FB2, it's a way to play all the original Atari games without having to spend thousands buying the original cartridges. After I get the FB2 modded I plan on buying the Harmony cartridge to load the roms into to play on the FB2.

Or you could get a real Atari 2600 and pop a Harmony cart into that and just about every game you can think of would work, including most homebrews.

• Like 2

Soldering and modifying things is a hobby of mine, my heavy sixer has a batari video mod and my flashback 2 has a cartridge mod. It's easier to take somewhere because it's so light and small.

I recently moved, and have no room for an HDTV and CRT to sit side-by-side in my bedroom anymore, and the flashback 2 with cartridge mod is now the best/easiest way to play. Its composite video is a lot better than my heavy sixer's composite, and my HDTV sadly doesn't have svideo.

There are issues using a Harmony on a modded FB2?

Yes.

Just like real bank switch carts and games that use superchip RAM, those ROMs won't work from Harmony.

A few game ROMs have had their bankswitch types changed, and these can work on FB2 where the real cart or official dump fail.

Also if I remember correctly games using illegal programming opcodes fail, PacMan4K should work but has corrupted graphics.

A real shame since it was designed correctly, but somebody else thought they saw an error and changed it, breaking the cart addition compatibility. (Example: Built-in Millipede is a superchip game, but the real cart or ROM in a Harmony fails. )