IGNORED

Gamebase TI99/4A Version 2.1

OX.

I don't know if the Gamebase software works as it should. I've always done it rather manually: I select or search the Screenshots folder for any particular games. I

verify the screen shots to see if I found the right game. I then look in the database (TI99-4Av2.mdb). The table is Games. The column searched is Name. And the

Filename column shows where to find the file. I've always been able to figure out how to run a game in Classic99, but then I've only tried a fraction of what's available.

Hey sometimes99er, I also did it that way until I found the Gamebase Frontend. Just install the frontend, then extract the 'TI99-Gamebase' files

(the entire folder) into the frontend folder (C:\Gamebase\TI99-4Av2). Then you have a full list of all games and the screenshots to go with them. Really nice :thumbsup:

Gamebase Frontend-Setup-v1.3-full.zip

• Like 4

Hey sometimes99er, I also did it that way until I found the Gamebase Frontend. Just install the frontend, then extract the 'TI99-Gamebase' files

(the entire folder) into the frontend folder (C:\Gamebase\TI99-4Av2). Then you have a full list of all games and the screenshots to go with them. Really nice :thumbsup:

I've been messing with the front end a little this evening. pretty interesting!

Does this work with Classic99 to launch games? I understand more setup may be required such as the actual game bins etc...

Yes it does, both Classic99 and Mess are included with gamebase. Right click on the PLAY button and you

can choose which emulator to run them.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Last version was 2.1 which can be downloaded from here - https://drive.google.com/open?id=17TSdQzMbWz5jZWHATbMIWpj1-FAOB-XH

I had a version 2.3 in development but lost it when a HD got wiped out, there is however now version 3 in development and coming along some time icon_wink.gif

I own the real hardware now and would like to use the Gamebase files on modern loading solutions like finalGrom and Nanopeb some day.

• Like 10

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Airshack said:

Just got this up and running for the first time! Excellent! Thank you!

oh great news! i have been Wanting to dowload gamebase for a long time ... if someone has instructions on how get the links would help me a lot! ... thank you very much and sorry if this is not the rigth way to get them ... 

Last version was 2.1 which can be downloaded from here - https://drive.google.com/open?id=17TSdQzMbWz5jZWHATbMIWpj1-FAOB-XH

I had a version 2.3 in development but lost it when a HD got wiped out, there is however now version 3 in development and coming along some time icon_wink.gif

I own the real hardware now and would like to use the Gamebase files on modern loading solutions like finalGrom and Nanopeb some day.
Same .. granted I am the newbie around here . Still thanks for keeping the link alive. DL'd

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

TI Gamebase- debugged game...  SPEED RACE

Perhaps a little late in the day but I see that the first game I had published in a commercial magazine way back in 1982 (sent to the magazine late in 1981, almost 40 years ago!)  is in there - and it needs amending to run on a TI99/4a.

Yes, published in January 1982 in Issue 3 of "Computing and Video Games" magazine,  the game "Speed Race" was written for a TI99/4 with Version 100 of Extended Basic, and the enlarged  character sets in the 4A/v110 caused problems with this game.

Only a tiny amendment required though- in line 130, amend the end of the CALL CHAR to now read:
EBA"&RPT$("0",48))

Did anyone with Gamebase try the game and realise the problem?  Something of a rare problem.  When the magazine published this program there were maybe three UK owners with Extended Basic. Version 110 did not start to appear - slowly-  until a month later.

bb

SPEEDRACE.txt

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Sit back again- I still retain my original PAL 99/4 and it is still fully functional, with quite a good keyboard.

I came to the TI99/4 as a practiced typist having used a very heavy Underwood office machine and then a smaller lighter Olivetti for some 22 years before my 99/4 purchase, so my fingers knew where to go... by 1982 I had been using an electric typewriter and even an early dedicated AES word processor (Data Superplus with hard sectored floppies). I found the AES keyboard harder to use than the 99/4, the AES was too bulky and unmoveable.

The various typewriters I used had the usual QWERTY keyboards but the punctuation (where it existed) did vary enormously so the TI99/4 wasn't a big problem, and I can't say the style of the keys was an issue. My first use of a TI99/4 keyboard (using a machine lent by TI UK before they released the PAL version) went with no problems at all and I rapidly (I had three days!) wrote a home ledger program that was still in use a decade later.

Those were the days. The very first computer I ever used -IBM 360 - didn't even have a "visual display unit".

bb

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all, I just joined this great forum to refresh my memories to my 1st homecomputer from 1982. During Corona I started with playing around with the classic99, MAME and my othe favorite te UAE emulator for Amiga and also reanimated my old A3000 in my basement after 25 years in "hybernation."

I was able to install the Gamebase-Frontend an the TI99-4Av2 collection for it - unbeliveable how many intems are available there!  In my youth I just had Extend Basic, Parsec and Munchman...

Is there an easy way to use an similar frontend of Gamebase with MAME instead? I just was able to start MAME with all the commandline-parameters, but without the nice game explorer with thumbnails.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cmdr. Aldebaran said:

Dear all, I just joined this great forum to refresh my memories to my 1st homecomputer from 1982. During Corona I started with playing around with the classic99, MAME and my othe favorite te UAE emulator for Amiga and also reanimated my old A3000 in my basement after 25 years in "hybernation."

I was able to install the Gamebase-Frontend an the TI99-4Av2 collection for it - unbeliveable how many intems are available there!  In my youth I just had Extend Basic, Parsec and Munchman...

Is there an easy way to use an similar frontend of Gamebase with MAME instead? I just was able to start MAME with all the commandline-parameters, but without the nice game explorer with thumbnails.

I think this is what you are looking for.

[Edit]: Hmm. I guess this does not have game thumbnails. Still, it is a pretty good option for MAME.

I tend to stick with Classic99 myself.

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cmdr. Aldebaran said:

I have not looked into gamebase yet   but look at js99er.net under more modules.  Also the italian uig has thumbnails to choose games directly (based on js99er).      And prevideos or images can also be done with retropie. 

More videos on my channel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 7:04 PM, Retrospect said:

Blackbox, you actually had a 99/4, how well did your keyboard behave, when programming?  Was it an unenviable task or not bad?

I used 99/4 in 1980 to learn to program in BASIC. One of my less than original 99/4 games is Helicopter (misspelled Helocopter) Rescue which is miraculously still available on TI Gamebase. Despite it being a clone of an Odyssey2 game with the EXACT SAME title, I misspelled it. Lol. 

From my point of view the chicklet keyboard was not an issue since I couldn’t touch-type. This was the first keyboard I had ever typed on.

Guessing most of us were just happy to have a computer. Not bad.

Edited by Airshack
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...