IGNORED

Making a new "retro" console/PC magazine,thoughts and suggestions

So I wan't to make a new "retro" console/PC magazine and I just wanted to know what you guys think about it and to give me some suggestions on what I should include.Now I'm gonna have a PC AND a console magazine as there is so much to talk about and I will not have enough room for all of it.I have no definite titles for the mags but for the PC mag,Abort,Retry,Fail?(a DOS error message) and Command Not Found(Residentevilleonfan thought of this one) are possible names and for the console version I have no clue(feel free to give me suggestions).In the magazines I will have:

.Ads for the new homebrew games(just like the classic magazines like Nintendo Power,Sega Visions etc. had ads for the upcoming releases).

.review of homebrew games.

.A view of a collector's collection(1 per magazine) and an interview with that collector.

.A hidden gems section where I list games(from each genre) that me and other gamers think are total hidden gems

.A "is it really that bad?" section where I take a console/handheld and game that is considered to be one of "the worst consoles/handhelds and games of all time and see if they are really "that bad".

.A poll section(a poll may be for instance who has the better games,Mario or Sonic? and I will have different gamers voice their opinions as to why Sonic has better games than mario or vise versa.

A "gone but not yet forgotten" section (where I talk about a series that has been abandoned by it's company(like Alex Kidd) or a game that could have had a series but never did.

Every 10th issue will be dedicated to consoles like the Odyssey,2600,Master System,Nes,Turbografx-16,SNES,Genesis,Gameboy,Gamegear,Lynx,Neo Geo,Neo Geo Pocket Color, Gameboy Advance etc.In it I will review every part of the console from it's looks,graphics and controllers to it's durability and boxes/cases.Also I will have a page where people who grew up with the console and/or fans of the console can share there experiences with it.Also every 10th issue I will have a contest where you can win consoles and/or games which could be a boxed Nes or a boxed Famicom Titler!.

So what do you guys think of what I will have in the magazine so far and is there anything you would like to see in the magazine that is not yet posted?.The magazines will be run by me and fellow gamers/collectors(as you guys will submit things like your underrated games,memories of a console/handheld and other things in that nature).

You know, it reads like you are getting in way over your head. You are 16 years old and already planning not one but two magazines with extensive content; you are even talking about what happens in issue #10 without having shown anything yet!

It sounds like the magazine equivalent of vaporware... so people won't respond much.

I'd suggest you just go ahead and do your thing, and when you have something to show and people like it you will get valuable feedback. I wish you all the best for it, but with no credentials and lofty plans people won't hold their breath yet. It's up to you to prov them wrong.

• Like 4

I am a retro gaming retailer. I have sold a few different retro gaming related magazines over the years. Sales of these magazines were terrible. Honestly I wish the people at RETRO all the luck in the world, but my guess is that it will most likely not do very well in the long run. It may sell well at first, but it most likely will not make any money. People are always eager to offer their services for free/cheap at first because its new and exciting, but after awhile most likely it will lose its luster and they will get less and less contributors and in return less and less subscribers/buyers. Personally I think a retro gaming magazine as a business venture is not a good idea. I honestly think their efforts would be much better served making a top notch retro gaming related site than a magazine. Much less overhead and possibly more profit from advertisers. I would pay much more to advertise on a popular retro gaming related site than taking out an ad in a retro game related magazine. I understand you and others who have or are making retro gaming related magazines aren't always in it for the money, but most people can't do something "just for fun" forever. Other obligations will take priority and eventually the magazine will fall to the back burner and fizzle out.

It's a limited market.

Retro Gamer magazine already around for some years now. Although they seem to be letting "Retro" creep forward to modern day consoles that are barely out of date.

I guess it was inevitable but I'm not that interested in reading about stuff that I was seeing in the shops a few years ago and in some cases still have original magazine reviews for.

There's also a few online ones. IMO it's the way to go, newspapers and magazines in paper form are becoming a thing of the past, even mainstream computer mags are struggling and closing down.

I'd be checking out the competition, see what they lack and put a bit more emphasis on those aspects.

I am a retro gaming retailer. I have sold a few different retro gaming related magazines over the years. Sales of these magazines were terrible.

It is true that such a magazine won't have mass appeal. Retro Gamer is the only one so far to have established itself on regular newsstands.

But they can make do. In Germany there is two Retro magazines available on newsstands right now, and Germany surely is no better place for either retro gaming or print mags than the US (actually, magazines are dying left and right here). None of them is monthly though, they are quarterly publications, but they sell well enough to sustain themselves.

And in addition to that there are at least two print mags that are available via mail order. Those have small print runs, but with voluntary work it's enough.

I am sure in the US there is room for at least one or two retro mags on newsstands and for several smaller ones in game shops or via mail order only. They just must not expect a big business, but work to simply get even.

It is true that such a magazine won't have mass appeal. Retro Gamer is the only one so far to have established itself on regular newsstands.

I am sure in the US there is room for at least one or two retro mags on newsstands and for several smaller ones in game shops or via mail order only. They just must not expect a big business, but work to simply get even.

It can't help that Retro Gamer dilutes their own market by putting out multiple publications at the same time. They have their standard monthly issues, the special issues, the double-price compilation issues...

I've volunteered to write articles based on requests from various retro magazines that have posted here. None have ever seen publication. It's a little depressing to see so many enthusiastic authors and publishers just never make it to reality (much less popularity.)

I'm not sure what the solution is, but I'm pretty sure it's not the old magazine publishing model.