IGNORED

Space Raid for Intellivision (early alpha screenshots)

nanochess

Great artwork and thank you for sharing.

I followed the link... It is very exciting that an organisation with such great reputation like Collectorvision is aiming to have Intellivision releases.

The dawn of new Golden Era for the Intellivision is upon us!

Great news!

Homebrew variations ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Lol! Go look at the CV section of J-F's website and you'll see all the CBS box variations that have been made for the CV homebrews. Also check out Crapahute's website. :) I've been wanting box variations for the Inty homebrews, maybe this will be the beginning. :)

• Like 1

I'm actually quite curious to see the comparison in sales. I suspect the Intv market is larger on average. Now we just need to convince Jim and others to cross over. :)

There is alot more Intv fans than CV fans, that's for sure! :)

Intellivision has always been my favorite console of this era (after the CV of course) ;)

So I'm really really happy to publish our first Intv game

There is a couple of games I would love to see running on Intv :D

Is this true? I really have no idea, but always assumed that Colecovision was a much larger market. Maybe it was just an assumption based on how many Colecovision Homebrews are available. Interesting.

There is much more CV homebrews, but I think it's mainly due to newcoleco's CV tools contributuon

Maybe I'm wrong, but it really look like there's much more Intv fans than CV

I think CV is a best 2nd or 3rd favorite system for many people

I always had the impression that since CV (and Atari) used standard parts / processor / etc. it was simply easier to develop for and get parts for - and therefore easier to build tools for. The Intellivision uses an off-beat processor and notably non-standard parts. It's really exploded now that intvnut and crew (apologies in advance to those I'm leaving out -- totally unintended omission) have productized the electronics for making carts, there's been a groundswell in products.

I'm sure intvdave will correct my errors, but I think that the IntelligentVision hardware is based off the older IntelliCart / CuttleCart 3 hardware, and Elektronite / LTO uses the newer JLP designs. Carl Mueller, Jr. and William Moeller paved the way a long time ago creating the first emulator and figuring out how it all worked, but the later work by Chad Shell and Joe Zbiciak (was Frank Pazzolo (sp?) involved in all this, too?) built upon that to really make all this new activity flourish.

Add to that GroovyBee's still-under-development boards (no idea what it's based on), and what we see is that as the tools have improved and become more widely available, the INTV homebrew scene is beginning to deliver on all that pent-up demand to produce new games. Simply put: some pretty daunting barriers have fallen, which is great for the Intellivision!

IMO the custom hardware for the carts has also put a bit of a premium on the price of INTV titles - the new JLP stuff does really seem to be 'Cadillac' quality, supporting more RAM, huge cart sizes, and on-board flash storage for save-game data. Maybe that's standard for other homebrews, too?

In any case, it's awesome what's happening now!

Edited by intvsteve
  • Like 2

I think the reason for there being more CV homebrews is multi-fold, but probably boils down to just 2 major reasons.

• The CV used the Z80, which has an architecture similar to modern chips. Intellivision's GI is the opposite, including a previously undocumented bus cycle.
  • The CV had a computer updated that sold modestly well that was also powerful/flexible, which helped people learn how to develop for its internals. Intellivision internals were not documented and while the ECS had some success, it had very limited development abilities. This made the Intellivision hard to develop for.

Fortunately for us, several smart folks have figured out how the Intellivision worked. To deal with the odd hardware architecture, they used microcontroller CPUs to emulate being an Intellivision ROM.

• Like 1