IGNORED

UT2600 / FLUT

MLdB

• 2 years later...

I've been silently updating this thread with new versions of UT2600... I've picked up the project recently after more than two and a half years of trying to do so, but not finding the time. To do list:

1. Try to polish it as much as I can.

2. Convince a couple of my friends to come over to see if it is any fun to play.

3. Probably not, so try to improve on that.

4. Create a site where players can create their own maps and then download their own ('modded') version of the game

5. Release!

Latest .bin is in the first post.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently revising a lot of the source code. Rewriting comments, restructuring, removing unused bits, collecting together unused rom space and most of all cleaning up after myself. @igorski81 has kindly agreed to help me - first of all by writing the score - and we're determined to get this released. I think obtaining a licence to use the Unreal branding is out of the question :) but I'll leave that for later.

I'm also looking into rewriting the browser based map editor I started in 2013. I originally wanted it to be a client side application that only used the server to download the latest version of UT2600. It read the map data directly from the rom, allowing you to edit the maps, overwrite the map data in the rom and 'download' a modded version of the game.

But it only worked in Chrome (back then at least) and I always wanted to be able to digitally 'sign' the roms, so the mods could be checked for any modifications other than the map data. Who knows, if there ever is an UT2600 tournament, players could potentially upload the tournament roms to my server to verify their signature and know that they have not been tampered with.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I finally played the game after a long time of just looking at it on this forum, and might I say: This is the best, most amazing and fantastic Atari 2600 homebrew I have ever seen. The game is definitely my favorite. I love the maps, the guns, etc. I'm still figuring out gameplay and messing around to experiment. The only thing that would make this better is if a 1-Player mode were added, but I don't expect you to do that. It already provides enough entertainment and excitement for me :thumbsup: . One question; do you plan on selling this on the AtariAge Store? It is a fantastic game, and I would be sure to buy it.

EDIT:

Also, regarding leaving it online, why don't you hold a contest to make maps for this game and release it on cartridge, rather than leaving it online?

Edited by GemWare Games

• 1 year later...

I finally played the game after a long time of just looking at it on this forum, and might I say: This is the best, most amazing and fantastic Atari 2600 homebrew I have ever seen.

Well, thanks! I hope you like the new polished version I just added to the first post!

I'm releasing this Beta version of Unreal Tournament 2600 today hoping some of you are willing to spend some time with it. Please note: you'll need at least 1 friend for this, this is a multiplayer-only game!

Please post here what you think of the gameplay, the maps, the weapons/balancing, etc. I am really looking forward to your feedback!

I am determined to finish UT2600 before the summer. It's been in development for over 5 years now :-D!

So head over to the first post and download that Beta version! Thanks!

Heya MLdB, we'll be streaming UT2600/FLUT on ZeroPage Homebrew live on Twitch at 2PM PT/5PM ET!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/zeropagehomebrew/

Looking forward to playing it!!

Well, thanks! I hope you like the new polished version I just added to the first post!

Okay, guys, I'm just sitting here, in my workplace, and just sh*t my pants. Never imagined someone would try to make UT for the console! Keep up with the good work!

I will, thanks for the encouragement! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Heya MLdB, we'll be streaming UT2600/FLUT on ZeroPage Homebrew live on Twitch at 2PM PT/5PM ET!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/zeropagehomebrew/

Looking forward to playing it!!

That's amazing, I'm really honored!

It was exceptionally sunny here today, so I was offline all day and didn't see the previous two posts until late at night. But thankfully/coincidentally, due to the time difference, I did catch most of your stream Live. It was fun to watch and thanks a lot for 'finding' the deathmatch and matchscreen jitter bug! (I paused the stream and got out of bed to fix it.)

I hope I did fix it, and I'm really sorry these bugs where in there (and especially ashamed of the Deathmatch bug...) I will update the BETA in the first post.

Thanks again for taking the time!

Edited by MLdB

Thank you for making the game and glad we could find some more bugs for you to hunt down! Really looking forward to the final release, we'll definitely do another Let's Play on the show when it comes out!

Here's a link to the YouTube archive of the livestream, we start playing UT2600 around 1h1m into the video: https://youtu.be/aCMq9tJLR9I

I will, thanks for the encouragement! icon_thumbsup.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

That's amazing, I'm really honored!

It was exceptionally sunny here today, so I was offline all day and didn't see the previous two posts until late at night. But thankfully/coincidentally, due to the time difference, I did catch most of your stream Live. It was fun to watch and thanks a lot for 'finding' the deathmatch and matchscreen jitter bug! (I paused the stream and got out of bed to fix it.)

I hope I did fix it, and I'm really sorry these bugs where in there (and especially ashamed of the Deathmatch bug...) I will update the BETA in the first post.

Thanks again for taking the time!

Edited by cimmerian

• 3 weeks later...

(I hope I did fix those bugs you experienced)

I'm currently picking up again after a short break. I've changed the way pickup boxes (weapon upgrades or power ups) work a bit to make them change location every 15 seconds (give or take) and allow selecting locations on each map that are very likely to spawn a Sniper Rifle, Redeemer, Super Health or Damage Amplifier. Remembering these locations may give you a slight advantage. I didn't uploaded a new rom though, because I haven't had the time to select proper locations for every map yet.

Meanwhile I'm very curious to know if anyone (besides Zero Page Homebrew, thanks again!) has playtested the beta. I could use your feedback!

Edited by MLdB
  • Like 1

Updates! :-D

2018/05/16:
+ Impact Hammer now shows a slow moving 'shock wave' when fired. (Previously there was no way to tell that you fired the Impact Hammer.)
+ During CTF matches, if your opponent wins the match by capturing the most flags, scoring 3 points, you can still earn a (one) point if your frag count is higher.

2018/05/14:

+ Special pickup locations added (but for now only implemented on the first three maps). Short description: if you happen to pick up a Sniper Rifle, Redeemer, Super Health or Damage Amplifier, remember the location of the pickup box. Next time a pickup shows up there, it will almost always contain the same item.

+ Biorifle blob can now stick to walls properly and explodes when you press fire a second time.

+ Added telefragging! Respawning on top of your opponent will instantly kill the poor fellow.

2018/05/11:

+ Pickups now time out (disappear) after a few seconds.

• 3 weeks later...

Safe to say that the Translocator is a staple of the real UT series, so I couldn't justify it not being in UT2600! I also added jumping :)

Player Skill (NEW!)

BEGINNERS - ADVANCED

The ADVANCED setting enables the Translocator and jumping! But it comes at the cost of slightly more complicated controls:To fire your weapon, you will have to be moving (or at least pushing against a wall). Pressing the trigger without pushing the stick will make your avatar squat in anticipation:
Translocator: Stand still, press and hold the trigger and push the joystick DOWN to place a Translocator at your current position. This will be indicated by a blue arrow. Release the trigger to allow your avatar to move again. To teleport to the location where you placed the Translocator, simply repeat the same steps: stand still, press and hold the trigger and push DOWN. The Translocator can be used to quickly reach the other side of the map, defend your flag or get to a known special pickup box before your opponent. Teleporting on top of your opponent will kill them instantly! But the Translocator cannot be used strategically on CTF matches (e.g. to block access to your flag), because after telefragging an opponent during CTF, you will have to score a flag capture before you will get your Translocator back.
Jumping: Stand still, press and hold the trigger and push the joystick UP to jump. Use jumping to avoid blobs, rays, rockets and shrapnel and reach pickup boxes. You cannot however capture or score a flag by jumping towards it, as this could give one of the players an unfair advantage based on the map layout.
One final warning: Your avatar will not squat when you are carrying the Redeemer, but fire it, even when you are standing still! I've done this because steering the redeemer is complicated enough without the trouble of firing it while running around.

Here's the latest version:

attachicon.gifut2600_20180603_BETA4.bin

Changes
2018/06/03:

+ Removed option to select weapon set. All weapons are now fully functional, there's no need to have a "best working" set.

+ Added Player Skill menu option (See description above)

+ Added Translocators!

+ Added jumping!

• Like 1

Great! I was just getting up and caught a couple of minutes live before I had to get ready for RL :)

I'm sorry I forgot to mention these additional rules for the Translocator:
1. You cannot teleport the flag. This matches the rules of the 'real' UT. You will leave your opponent's flag behind if you were carrying it when you teleported.

2. You cannot teleport to where you left the Translocator after scoring a point during CTF matches (returning your opponent's flag to your own), because this would mean the only sensible strategy would be to leave a Translocator at your opponent's 'base'. I think it's best if the Translocator is used creatively by experienced players, not as a shortcut to the flag you'll have to use (because if your opponent uses it and you're not, you'll always lose). Scoring a point returns the Translocator to you, so you can place it again.

I will watch the entire video a.s.a.p. and work trough the bugs then.

• It's sad to see the jitter is still present during map selection. I will go through this again a.s.a.p. If there is anyone willing to help (and who has the hardware to test it), please contact me!
  • The screen jitter in-game was caused by a bug that has been around since the beginning: I mislabeled 4 indirect indexed loads as 6 cycles each, where it should have been 5 and I therefore overcompensated 8 cycles each map row (10 scanlines), causing a lost scanline in some situations. It's fixed, but a small difference in cycles must still exist between code paths of the kernel because the jitter switched on and off in sync with the blinking speed of the Ball (pickup boxes).
  • The enforcer (starting weapon) and minigun fire though walls by design. You cannot always 'hide' from your opponent.
  • Bullets showing up on the other side of the screen is something that's been around since the beginning. I will try to fix this soon!
Edited by MLdB