IGNORED

ATR-8000 (and other) CP/M System disks here

Kyle22

Well, after numerous months, tons of help from you guys, multiple chip swaps and a bunch of hours, I have figured out my CP/M issue. The 1797 was the problem. None of the  1797 I got were 100% error free. For some reason, they worked fine in Atari mode but Cp/m mode they failed!  I swapped out the 1787 from my good atr into the one I had issues with and wala it worked.

I am guessing maybe the 1797s I got weren’t truely new old stock but pulls.

Well, I am up and running.

I dumped the 3.02+ rom and attached it to this message. I am guessing you guys can figure out if there are any differences compared to all the roms floating around.

Now, what is the easiest way to get CP/M apps from the internet to the ATR without a pc with a disk drive?

ATR-8000 3.02+ Rom.BIN

• Like 2

On 1/9/2021 at 12:04 PM, moonlight_mile said:

Well, after numerous months, tons of help from you guys, multiple chip swaps and a bunch of hours, I have figured out my CP/M issue. The 1797 was the problem. None of the  1797 I got were 100% error free. For some reason, they worked fine in Atari mode but Cp/m mode they failed!  I swapped out the 1787 from my good atr into the one I had issues with and wala it worked.

I am guessing maybe the 1797s I got weren’t truely new old stock but pulls.

Well, I am up and running.

I dumped the 3.02+ rom and attached it to this message. I am guessing you guys can figure out if there are any differences compared to all the roms floating around.

Now, what is the easiest way to get CP/M apps from the internet to the ATR without a pc with a disk drive?

ATR-8000 3.02+ Rom.BIN 4 kB · 9 downloads

A terminal program is the way without any additional hardware.  A Gotek would be awesome of course, and solve a lot of troubles.

For the ATR8000, the only term program I'm aware of is the version of MODEM7 shipped with the CP/M disk.  This is because the ATR8000 uses a software UART, thus simply changing a couple of values in a program's configuration, as with most CP/M boxen, won't do the trick.  The good thing is that MODEM7, as shipped for the ATR supports Xmodem and XmodemCRC (Once called Christiansen Protocol, after Ward Christiansen who wrote it).

A GOTEK is the preferred way of course, as it is fast and allows you to use the images you move to the USB stick directly.

Best,

Jeff

• Like 1

A terminal program is the way without any additional hardware.  A Gotek would be awesome of course, and solve a lot of troubles.

For the ATR8000, the only term program I'm aware of is the version of MODEM7 shipped with the CP/M disk.  This is because the ATR8000 uses a software UART, thus simply changing a couple of values in a program's configuration, as with most CP/M boxen, won't do the trick.  The good thing is that MODEM7, as shipped for the ATR supports Xmodem and XmodemCRC (Once called Christiansen Protocol, after Ward Christiansen who wrote it).

A GOTEK is the preferred way of course, as it is fast and allows you to use the images you move to the USB stick directly.

Best,

Jeff

Gotcha! I know my hxc2000 will work with the atr. Is it possible to do a sector copy a cp/m application disk on the Atari? Sort of like we did many many pages ago in this thread.

Is found a few places that has some cp/m software in zipped up.

Any real killer apps that were on cp/m. I know about word star. Was looking at getting a copy of that.

It shouldn't be too hard to do a utility on the atari to transfer files to a cp/m filesystem disk to a drive connected to the atr8000.
Just need to keep track of the sector numbers for a double sided drive as cp/m addresses sides in a different way.

James

Since the gotek thing seems to be the easiest way to do it maybe we can put together a few CPM disk images for the ATR. Sort of like the great Atari games pack.

This weekend I will have to play with my hxc2000 I have for the st. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can set it as ds2 and use it as drive c> on CPM.

This is really directed to Jeff but anyone can chime in.

I have an ultimate cart I am using to emulate the dt80 cart. It works fine and I can boot cp/m but the display is very mushy and hard to read. (Same if I try to load ice-t)

I saw Jeff’s screen print and his 80 column cp/m looks pretty good.

I have an unmodified 800xl and 130xe using composite Into a composite to hdmi converter box. Connected to my 39inch lcd tv.

I have vga on tv. I thought maybe I could get a better picture for 80 columns through vga but wanted to check with you guys before I spend more money.

On 1/13/2021 at 6:58 AM, moonlight_mile said:

Since the gotek thing seems to be the easiest way to do it maybe we can put together a few CPM disk images for the ATR. Sort of like the great Atari games pack.

This weekend I will have to play with my hxc2000 I have for the st. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can set it as ds2 and use it as drive c> on CPM.

I've had zero luck with jumpering a Gotek to any but Id's 0 and 1.  There's no provision for it in the hardware.  It would be fairly simple to flip some wires on the cable to accomplish this though.

Best,

Jeff

• Like 2

I am trying to get my non-CPM atr working by way of finding a 100% working 1797.

I got one that claimed to be New-old stock. Popped it in and it does nothing but read the disk and boot error. The disks are fine.

I have two coming from China but don’t have much faith in those working.

And as indicted earlier in this thread it seems like the unicorn electronics are all old pulls and of the 6 I got from them none of them are 100%.

So..... does anyone have a line on 100% 1797s? Also, I have been doing some research and it appears that the wd2797 was the replacement. The pins look fairly compatible. Does anyone know if the 2797 chips will work in the atr? I am just looking for an alternate if I can’t find any good 1797s.

Thanks.

It's a crap shoot for chips sometimes, just pop the western digital 2797 in and see if it'll work, as it's pin compatible no harm should come of it.

Alrighty. I still have those chips coming from China. They should be here this week. And the one I just got I am trying to get a replacement for. So if none of those pan out I will try to get a 2797.

Thanks for the info.

Just looked.  the 2797 and 1797 are software compatible and the 2797 is a superset of the 1797, just to be silly they moved the halt line and a few other signals around requiring one of a couple solutions, change the PCB, lift pins and use bodge wires, or an adapter socket. Hadn't looked much further might be some support circuit diffs like logic high or low for true conditions.

looks like you could do it, just would have to compare and make the changes..

• Like 1

I've had zero luck with jumpering a Gotek to any but Id's 0 and 1.  There's no provision for it in the hardware.  It would be fairly simple to flip some wires on the cable to accomplish this though.

Best,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,
What format did you put your gotek cpm software in?

I got my hxc connected to the atr and CPM sees it. (As drive c but it works). I went to the software created a blank ms-dos floppy (being the closest preset i could find) copied the files for word star and data star (I downloaded them from one of the big cpm repositories) on to the floppy images. When I try dir the disk I get no files.

Did you use special settings for the disk images so the atr cpm could read it?

I did try diskdef with a few different disk types but no luck.

On 1/21/2021 at 4:47 PM, moonlight_mile said:

Hey Jeff,
What format did you put your gotek cpm software in?

I got my hxc connected to the atr and CPM sees it. (As drive c but it works). I went to the software created a blank ms-dos floppy (being the closest preset i could find) copied the files for word star and data star (I downloaded them from one of the big cpm repositories) on to the floppy images. When I try dir the disk I get no files.

Did you use special settings for the disk images so the atr cpm could read it?

I did try diskdef with a few different disk types but no luck.

Honestly, I've only used the Gotek as a loader for a slew of games on the Atari.  The reason is that the Atari has an interesting format; all atari formats are interesting in that they all have at least the first sector in single density, no matter what the rest of the disk is formatted as.  This is so in order to accommodate (as I understand it), the Atari's original boot scheme, which provides only 128bytes of buffer for disk access, necessitating single-density read(s) for what is usually the first three sectors.  Once the code is gotten into memory via this route, it is executed, and the cassette buffer is concatenated to the disk buffer, allowing for 256byte reads and writes.  The originators of Atari's Operating System for our machines did not envision support for sectors larger than 128bytes.  Percom did a nice job of supplying support, but the solution is not at the ROM level; such support would probably reduce memory available to programs by 1 page, causing compatibility problems with existing software....

I communicated with the Flashfloppy folks on this issue and learned that they were pretty much unaware that there were disk controllers for the Atari 8-bit which allowed for standard sa400 mechanisms, thus support for Atari is only accidental.  No effort to support atari formats is planned.  I suggested to FlashJazzCat we might benefit from some expertise applied to this issue, but received a lukewarm reception.  Flash is busy and I'm not qualified, so someone who has the time and who is qualified to make contributions to the flashfloppy firmware needs to be found if we are to have support beyond standard single-density, single-sided formats using Gotek and Flashfloppy.  I have not tested the HXC? firmware nor have I consulted that project.

My experience with Atari formats and Gotek have had mixed success:  SS/SD works for read, write, and format without trouble.  SS/DD works for read, as does DS/DD, so the Homesoft collection works peachy on a Percom or ATR8000-controlled Gotek with Flashfloppy firmware, but one is unable to format these disks, nor is one able to write to them.

Given the nature of the issue, I suspect strongly that a bootable disk image in double-density CP/M for the ATR8000 will find itself in the same boat.  I have have not actually attempted to use the Gotek on the ATR8000 in CP/M mode as yet.

Sadly for this particular case, the ATR8000 cannot format or boot from a single-density disk in CP/M. I suppose it never occurred to the designers that anyone would wish to hobble their double-density CP/M system and thus that inelegant work-around to the problem is foreclosed.

Best,

Jeff

56 minutes ago, Jeffrey Worley said:

The reason is that the Atari has an interesting format; all atari formats are interesting in that they all have at least the first sector in single density, no matter what the rest of the disk is formatted as.  This is so in order to accommodate (as I understand it), the Atari's original boot scheme, which provides only 128bytes of buffer for disk access, necessitating single-density read(s) for what is usually the first three sectors.  Once the code is gotten into memory via this route, it is executed, and the cassette buffer is concatenated to the disk buffer, allowing for 256byte reads and writes.  The originators of Atari's Operating System for our machines did not envision support for sectors larger than 128bytes.  Percom did a nice job of supplying support, but the solution is not at the ROM level; such support would probably reduce memory available to programs by 1 page, causing compatibility problems with existing software....

From what i understand, All atari DD formats except for the duplicator upgrade, have all sectors as 256 bytes. The firmware of the drive reads and writes the 1st 3 sectors as 256 bytes tho it only sends and receives the 1st 128 bytes.

The buffer is only used for the 1st sector. the 1st 6 bytes of the 1st sector has pointers for number of sectors to load, run address and buffer address where to put the sectors loaded.

James

• Like 1

I actually meant to delete the last message. I found a few IMD images. Ran them through the hxc2001 emulator software and converted them to HFE and I was able to read the images. I downloaded two copies of Wordstar but the first image had some spelling word processor and the other had some RBBS files on it.

There was one site that had HFE images for download but I just gave them a shot but they didn’t work.

I bookmarked a few sites that have cp/m imd images for download. Going to try to download some of those and see if I can get those working.

Sadly, I don’t think the hxc software can create and actual cp/m disk. There are cpmtools but I don’t think I have the time or patients to futz around with that.

If I have any success I will let you know.

Thanks for the help!

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I managed to extract a few disk images from the Wizard of OS (Osborne) collection to HFE(HXC-2001/Gotek) Image Format.  These "should" load right up without need to use DISKDEF.  WordStar is in there and it works, the other stuff is a crap shoot.

I can't seem to get all the Wizard of OS images to read so I am going through them all and going to extract them for my own collection.

CPM_ATR8000_HXC_2001_Images.zip

4 hours ago, tschak909 said:

Very very cool. I saw the video on Fuji net and cp/m. 

I don’t have my ATR-8000 networked so I have to rely on disk images. I am doing it old school. 

Going to definitely play around with your stuff. 

thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hi, and thanks for the great work!

I am trying to get my ATR8000 / GOTEK combination to work.

I use the most recent FlashFloppy firmware on the GOTEK. And the GOTEK is the only Drive attached to the ATR.

I can boot Autoterm, i get the #ATRMON prompt (after i replaced the faulty FD1797 :0)) and i am able to boot the CPM*.HFE image mentioned in Post #345 (changing the Diskimage on the GOTEK and then typing "B and RETURN")

So this looks like it works...

But: I am not able to load Software from the image-collection in post #394 => I can change to the images on the Gotek, i can read the DIR, but if i am trying to load i get a bunch of Sector-Read Errors...

My guess is i am doing something wrong here...

The CP/M bootimage and the Softwareimages have different formats / Sizes is that the problem? Can the ATR / CPM only handle one size in one drive number?

Has someone a complete (and working :0)) set of Diskimages to run CP/M and Software from a single GOTEK drive?

Many thanks in advance and greetings from austria, TOM:0)

It has been a while since I fooled with the cp/m stuff but I think what I was doing when I got the stuff to run was: I had the hxc2001 set as drive 2. Then after I got cp/m booted up I would copy the image to a real floppy and then run it. 

at least that is what I think I did. Needless to say I didn’t save any of the disks….. at least I don’t think so. Next time I get a moment I will see if I can dig any of my old stuff up. 

I know I had a hell of a time getting the hxc2001 to work properly. (The jumpers are a little goofy). 

I was going to work on a library of ready to run atr-8ooo cp/m images but I never did. I think something else drew my attention. 

oh and if the image files aren’t reading in, I think you have to use that diskdef file. If memory serves it allows you to tell the atr how to read the disk. At least that is what just popped in my head after reading some of my prior ramblings.