IGNORED

Telnet - Getting your TI on the Internet & TI BBS's

Omega-TI

That site will take the DOMAIN NAME, which most BBS's are listed as, and give you the current IP, which is how the Lantronix UDS-10 goes about 'dialing' the BBS's.

About the only time a TI/UDS-10 user would need it, is when calling a NEW system or when the IP changes, which has been known to happen a few times a year. It seems like kind of a bummer to have to use the PC to get information for the TI.

You know even if a full-fledged browser never comes into existence, if someone with the knowledge could make a simple program to work with that site so a TI user could load the program, type in the name and get back the IP#....WOW!

BUMP - Still thinking about your browser Stuart!

Since the UDS-10 does not resolve addresses, you're browser would be an invaluable tool at << this site >>.

Since the UDS-10 requires the IP number, your browser would be the magic bullet for the TI to get it on it's own.

Well it's actually pretty much finished running on my TM990 - will need porting to the TI-99/4A. And assuming I can get my nanoPEB talking to the Lantronix.

First, just to clarify that it was never going to and never will work with any 'modern' web page - there are just too many HTML tags and other stuff for the TI to handle, and there's no way you could display much of it any way with the TI's low resolution screen. Instead, I have defined a set of tags that are supported - within an outer set of <99ml></99ml> tags of course. ;-)

Tags currently supported are:

<p></p> [paragraph; text outside these tags is considered a comment and is not displayed]

<br> [line break]

<cdef:xx:yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy> [redefine character xx; any character 00-127 can be redefined]

<clr:bf></clr> [set foreground and background colours for text]

<chr:xx> [display character with hex ASCII code xx, for characters with ASCII codes less than >20]

<a></a> [hyperlink]

<u></u> [underline]

The character set that is loaded includes characters for table border lines, so tables can be drawn using these.

Simple graphics can be drawn by redefining a number of characters and drawing it using those.

There's a sample file here: http://www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/z_ti_test_1.htm. You should be able to load this in your browser (where it WON'T be displayed correctly) then do 'view source' to see the actual tags. I'm not at home at the moment so can't do a screenshot.

The screen gives a 42 x 24 line display that can be scrolled up/down. Because characters are not all aligned on 8 pixel boundaries, there are some restrictions on changing foreground/background colours mid-line. A pointer sprite, controlled through the keyboard, enables hyperlinks to be selected.

To resolve addresses, the program first uses the Lantronix to connect to a one-liner PHP script on my website (which has a pretty stable IP address) which returns the numeric IP address, then uses that to download the web page. I have a problem with the IP lookup at the moment - it normally works the first time but then the Lantronix won't connect to the web server again for another minute or so. The program has built-in retrying until a connection is made, but I need to look into this.

No download functionality at the moment, but I think it should be possible. There will probably be a download size limit according to how much RAM is free, but should be able to maximise this by using a small standalone module to handle the download which then reloads the main browser program when it has finished.

Hope to get a video of it running on my TM990 around the end of the week.

Stuart.

• Like 1

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 251676890031 1?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=251676890031 &mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]
is this what we need to get on the internet?

That's it! ;-)

The blog entry below will take you to links with the operating manual, lists of BBS systems and other things that'll help get you started. In the future it look like we'll have a browser to use too.

https://atariage.com/forums/blogs/entry/10980-what-is-the-lantronix-uds-10-and-what-can-it-do-for-me-updated-61317/

That's it! ;-)

The blog entry below will take you to links with the operating manual, lists of BBS systems and other things that'll help get you started. In the future it look like we'll have a browser to use too.

Got one. $35.00 includes shipping. He's got several left if anyone wants one.

Edited by hloberg

• 2 weeks later...

Would this cable work for connecting my TI-99 to telnet ? And do you hook it to router or pc ? can the pc connect to the TI-99 this way using rs232 interface just wondered cause I have one of these cables....

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7731/929/1600/CRJ45_DB9.0.jpg

No.... not really. This would not be what you want. You need a device like the UDS-10 or the Wiznet WIZ110SR which is a serial to ethernet bridge.

You theoretically could use it with a special device that that cable was designed to be used with. It is not a true ethernet linkage which may in itself link you to the internet but you are better off investing in a WizNet WIZ110SR or Lantronix UDS-10 (and other similar products from Lantronix).

sold out of the Lantonix UDS-10

Cool! I wonder if people are getting them to just transfer programs from their PC's to their TI's(1), or if maybe they want to partake of the Telnet BBS scene(2), or it could be they are anticipating the release of Stuart's TI-Browser(3), also they might be getting ready for some possible future new application(4) like a weather program. ;) So many possibilities...

• 1 year later...

Yes. All you need to do is Telnet from your PC to the UDS-10 and change the settings.

The settings for TIMXT:

Baud 4800

IFMODE 4C

Flow 02

Port 23

Connect D6

The settings for Stuart's Internet Browser:

Baud 19200

IFMODE FC

Flow 00

Port 10001

Connect D4

To dial the BBS I'll use Heatwave as an example:

atdt24.251.118.240,9640!

Of course you can use the MACRO in TIMXT and it'll dial for you.

Super simple stuff!

Ah, those are the droids (settings) I've been looking for.

It is a shame the configuration has to change between apps. Technically, the settings you have for TIMXT should be able to work for the purposes of what the browser is doing, but the browser isn't coded that way.

I will experiment with if the browser settings can be used to work with TIMXT.

-M@

It is a shame the configuration has to change between apps.

Yeah, I'd love to see someone make a small little PC program that would take care of those settings 'auto-magically'. Just load the program, click on Browser or BBS the program would change it and then exit the UDS-10 and the program terminate. I'd put it in my taskbar and call it good.

Should it run on PC or TI ? (I think TI, as connected there?)

If it could run on the TI I'd be ecstatic beyond belief. If there is a way to change the UDS-10's setting from the TI, I sure as heck have been unable to figure it out. So I'd GLADLY use a program that would allow me to put in my UDS's setting ahead of time then just CLICK-EM when I need-em.

• 1 month later...

sorry for reviving this thread, but figure it'd be better than starting a new topic.

i have a ti99 4a, and i read through this entire thread. one thing i'm hazy on is how i connect the uds-10 to my ti. do i need to make a db 9 to db 25 cable? if so what are the pinouts?

• Like 1