IGNORED

8-bit misconceptions -- a little rant

gamecat80

Just a little rant, so I don't really expect many (or any) responses....

But I just have to get this off my chest.

I am sure some of you have noticed this on Youtube and other places online.

What I mean is, there seem to be ppl on there (most likely twenty-somethings and younger) who believe most pre-NES systems are 4-bit. :mad: I've seen these ridiculous statements under videos for C64, CV, 2600, etc. Other gamers tend to correct them, but it still persists. Just because a system is pre-crash and more "simple" does not make it "4-bit". To my knowledge, the vast majority of early pre-crash systems (with a few exceptions) were 8-bit, including the Atari VCS/2600 and even the Channel F. :!:

It depends on what you mean by "bitness." Take for instance, the Intellivision, my preferred console. It has a 16-bit processor, an 8-bit graphics bus and RAM, and displays 4-bit colour. Oh, and to top it all off, in the old cartridges, the processor communicated with the ROM ignoring the high 6 bits of the bus, effectively turning it into a 10-bit bus.

So, is the Intellivision a 16-bit console, or an 8-bit one? Or is it a 10-bit one? What about the colour, does it matter?

I'd say that most of the time, what the "bitness" represents is the graphics quality (which is the part that makes the most impact to the masses), and in that case, the Intellivision is an 8-bit machine, even though it has 16-bit RAM and a CPU with 16-bit registers.

So bottom line is, chill out and don't take it personally. When someone calls your favourite console "4-bit," don't have a conniption. Just ask them "What do you mean?" and correct them if they are wrong and open to understanding the truth.

I never even heard of the whole "bitness" thing until Sega brilliantly turned it into a marketing buzzword for the Genesis, which became the videogame console's version of "horsepower". In reality, it is meaningless as a measure of performance, as a simple comparison between an "8-bit" Atari 2600 and an "8-bit" NES or SMS will quickly show (likewise, plenty of "8-bit" arcade hardware stomped all over the highest-performing "8-bit" console hardware). Another reason it is meaningless is because it is vague, i.e., simply saying "8-bit" or "16-bit" or whatever is incomplete. It is kind of like saying your car has "four". Four what? Wheels? Cylinders? Doors? Forward gears/speeds? Four-wheel drive?

• Like 1

I used to think pre-NES systems were 4-bit as well, back when I was like 10 years old. To somebody that only has a certain amount of technical understanding, it makes perfect sense. There was 8-bit, then 16-bit, then 32 and 64-bit, so anything before that must have been 4-bit.

Of course, I've known better for a very long time now, but I can see where this idea comes from.

• Like 1

Those youngsters need a good dose of reality!

Common Sense instead of "Political Correctness"

Calling systems before the Nes 4 bit is not all caused by youngsters that are currently 20 somethings or younger. It is possible that the younger gamers got that misconception from older gamers that were teens back when Sega Genesis was being sold in stores.

I am saying that based on what I heard in 1992-1993 school when I was in 8th grade because a classmate didn't like I got a Sega Genesis for Christmas instead of SNES after he heard me answering a question from another classmate about what I got for Christmas. The classmate told me that the Sega Genesis is 4 bit like the Atari 2600 is back in January of 1993

The behavior I heard in January of 1993 in terms calling Atari 2600 a 4 bit machine was something that already started before than. Sega Genesis came out in 1989 and Sega caused the bit mess. Sega in 1989 had their Sega Genesis system say 16 bit power on the system itself. That means the teenagers at the time decided to label what system was in bitness without having a clue what each CPU actually is.

The people who where teenagers during the Genesis era are now in their 30's or in their 40's now and may still don't have clue what the CPU for older systems are.

I think I've figured it out:

Sega Dreamcast = 128-bit

Atari Jaguar and N64 = 64-bit

Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation = 32-bit

Neo Geo = 24-bit

Genesis, SNES, Amiga, ST = 16-bit

TG16, Lynx = (8-bit CPU + 16-bit Graphics)/2 = 12-bit

NES, SMS = 8-bit

Colecovision, 5200, C64 = 4-bit

Intellivision = 3-bit

Atari 2600 = 2-bit

CPU-based Pongs/Odysseys = 1-bit

Pre-CPU games (Indy 800 etc.) = 0-bit

• Like 3

I think I've figured it out:

Sega Dreamcast = 128-bit

Atari Jaguar and N64 = 64-bit

Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation = 32-bit

Neo Geo = 24-bit

Genesis, SNES, Amiga, ST = 16-bit

TG16, Lynx = (8-bit CPU + 16-bit Graphics)/2 = 12-bit

NES, SMS = 8-bit

Colecovision, 5200, C64 = 4-bit

Intellivision = 3-bit

Atari 2600 = 2-bit

CPU-based Pongs/Odysseys = 1-bit

Pre-CPU games (Indy 800 etc.) = 0-bit

That's funny. That's the way I had it figured when I was a kid in the '80s too, at least for the CV and A5200 being 4-bit and the A2600 being 2-bit. However, the only CPU-based Odyssey was the Odyssey², and it was pretty comparable to the A2600, so I had that figured as a 2-bit machine. The original Odyssey and the dedicated Odyssey Pong-type consoles had no CPU, thus they actually were "0-bit" I suppose. I don't think that any of the dedicated Pong consoles from any of the manufacturers had a CPU; they either used a series of logic chips, or integrated the necessary Pong logic onto one chip.