IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2014!

Charlie Cat

First game beaten for me is:

1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Arcade (Mega Play)

I was interested in seeing the difference between this version and the original Genesis version. The short of it: no special stages, no option to use Sonic Alone or Tails Alone, no 1up monitors or extra lives (you must use coins for continues when you run out of each set of three lives.) The time limit counter is gone but you still get a small time bonus.

^Nice one! You might consider posting your NES victories over at NintendoAge, where they're trying to beat all the NES games in one calendar year. Both games are still unbeaten, and BTTF II & III didn't get beaten at all in 2013, so they'd appreciate it for sure.

Speaking of which:

1. Double Dragon (NES)

Beaten for the NA effort, just as a quick diversion while watching The Twilight Zone marathon. Still among my favorites for the system, but the shortcomings in the jump controls occasionally get very aggravating! A-.

1. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Xbox 360

Man, this was a great game. My first anything Metal Gear related. I loved the gameplay! Final Boss can eff the hell off tho.. Platinum knows how to make an excellent Hack-n-slash.

I'm somewhat interested in playing the MGS proper games, but I'm not sure I will be that into them, since I am so bad at stealth, and don't enjoy it.

Interested in the story tho, so I may give them a whirl someday.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Legend of Success Joe for Neo-Geo AES.

I personally like the game. However it was heavily criticized in the Neo-Geo community and never had an outside release from Japan, while sales of the game were somewhat low! Still, the game maintains its value as the years pasted and it shows up on Ebay every so often!

Anthony...

Hi guys,

The Three Stooges. NES.

FUNNY, FUNNY. FUNNY.. I picked up this game a few years back and its humor, graphics, soundbites, and gameplay were impressive for its time. The game was designed to be like a board game while the boys must rescue an old woman's orphanage by earning money within 30 days, using various minigames based on various Three Stooges films.

Worth replaying again that's for sure!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

Virtual Chess 64. Nintendo 64.

This is my favorite chess game EVER. Virtual Chess 64 features an award-winning chess engine (it once beat IBM's Deep Blue) as well an option to view light-hearted battle sequences with 3D characters. Once you capture a piece, a fighting animation will begin with two cartoon "pieces" displaying the results.

Till this day, I haven't had a better chess game since!

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Magician Lord for the Neo-Geo AES. One of my favorite early games for the Neo!

Anthony...

You beat that? And in AES mode with the limited lives? Wow I'm impressed.

Here's my update:

2. Puzzle Bobble 2 - Arcade

I've played bits of this game also known as Bust-A-Move 2 for years on Nintendo 64, Playstation and Sega Saturn but this is the first time I have made sure I played every level of Puzzle Mode (including "Another World" with the post-game A <- -> A code) and all three difficulty settings of vs cpu mode. The version of MAME and the romset I used seemed to have a very slight frameskip applied but it wasn't enough to hinder the music or game. This game is a great improvement over the original arcade version of the first Puzzle Bobble, but it still fun to go back and play the previous title.

This was the last arcade game remaining in my backlog from last month, so it will probably be a while before any of my games on this list come from arcade platforms.

I still plan to play games from last year's backlog on weekends to keep my progress fresh in my mind, but now on weekdays I can get into my full blown NES month. I'm working heavily on Final Fantasy II (English Prototype version), but it might not be the next completed game you see as it is quite long.

You beat that? And in AES mode with the limited lives? Wow I'm impressed.

Yeah, it took me a long time on the MVS version and plenty of quarters to beat it back in the 90's. After I got use to the patterns and timing, I was able to defeat the AES version of Magician Lord without any trouble from then on!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

Power Punch II for the NES.

MAN. What a tough game to beat. You play a character named Mark "Tough Guy" Tyler (AKA Mike Tyson) who is the undefeated heavyweight champion of the world, with an Olympic gold medal and a 33-0 (30 KO) record. However, the broadcast is picked up far from Earth in the outer reaches of the universe by an alien boxing promoter for the Intergalactic Boxing Federation (IGBF). The promoter (AKA Don King) decides to accept Tyler’s challenge that he can beat “anyone”. Thus Tyler is brought into the throes of the universe to compete against the best boxers in the universe and defend his earthly title.

The game received poor reviews from magazines and players alike. however, the game is known for its challenging gameplay. When I first played this game when I was a kid, I only was able to make though the first fighter. But as time went on, I was able to get use to the patterns and timing of the opponents. Play the game if you want a tough game to beat!

Anthony...