IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2014!

Charlie Cat

I beat Street Fighter EX plus Alpha (PS1) with every selectable character this week.

Originally I intended to unlock all endings, but after accomplishing ~2/3 of that task, I once confused "Load" and "Save" right after booting up the game :roll: and then couldn't force myself into starting over from scratch :ponder:

Capcom games beaten in 2013: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha

• Like 1

5. Final Fantasy III - NES (English fan translation on repro cartridge)

I finally cleared a legit run of this game. And with this, I have finally gotten my money's worth out of the four repro's I bought from gamereproductions.com. After playing the first two NES Final Fantasy titles then playing this one, I don't understand a certain other forum's member's prior mention of the game being too slow. In comparison to the first two this is about the same speed as long as you make sure to turn the speed up to 8 instead of down to 1. This game fixed a lot of things that annoyed me about the first two. Especially the introduction of auto re-targeting.

I did run into a funny glitch in Eureka though. I fought a battle with an M. Knight, Karateka, Warlock, and Shaman then tried to use Exit afterward. It said I couldn't teleport from there. When I returned to the map I noticed a different character was in front. After I cycled through I realized my M. Knight was no longer in the party. He had turned into a Conjurer without un-equipping his weapons or armor. He still had a skill level of 35 that the M. Knight had instead of 1. So I saved this glitch in my second slot before changing back and continuing the game in slot 1. When I changed him back to an M. Knight I noticed something else. The M. Knight skill level was back to 1 while the level 35 skill was stuck with the conjurer. The original conjurer had not been used so the skill level had been 1. So I believe what happened was that the stats for the two jobs swapped with each other. Imagine someone who could use both summon magic and katanas. There he is. I don't know if anyone else had this happen before or not. If I can't ever replicate the cause of the glitch, at least I have a save to show for it. In the end I figured it didn't matter for my legit run because I would be changing into a Ninja soon anyway.

2. Singularity - PS3

I had a lot of fun with this game!! Reminds me a lot of Bioshock crossed with Red Faction Armageddon. Perhaps not the greatest game, but still fun, and definitely worth the $8 I paid for it.

Sounds interesting. I'll have to check that one out.

I beat Street Fighter EX plus Alpha (PS1) with every selectable character this week.

I know this game takes a lot of flack, but I've always loved it. There's some killer tracks in its OST too.
  • Like 1

I meant to be marking these here as I complete them, but I've been slacking. In the last month, I've completed:

1. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis, already listed on page 1)

2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

3. Aladdin (SNES)

4. TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)

5. Marble Madness (NES)

6. Silver Surfer (NES)

7. Trojan (NES)

8. Raiden Trad (SNES)

9. Gunforce (SNES)

10. Life Force (NES)

11. Double Dragon (NES)

12. TMNT: Turtles in Time (SNES)

13. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)

Hm.. Looking back at this list, no wonder I am feeling burned out on gaming right now! It's been a busy month..

• Like 2

I meant to be marking these here as I complete them, but I've been slacking. In the last month, I've completed:

1. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis, already listed on page 1)

2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

3. Aladdin (SNES)

4. TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)

5. Marble Madness (NES)

6. Silver Surfer (NES)

7. Trojan (NES)

8. Raiden Trad (SNES)

9. Gunforce (SNES)

10. Life Force (NES)

11. Double Dragon (NES)

12. TMNT: Turtles in Time (SNES)

13. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)

Hm.. Looking back at this list, no wonder I am feeling burned out on gaming right now! It's been a busy month..

Austin your lets plays are the best! :)

7. Heart of the Alien (Sega CD)

Contrary to semi-popular belief, I think this is an inferior port of Out of This World, with downgraded music and fast-but-laggy gameplay. And good thing I didn't spend big bucks on a Sega CD back then to play this, since I didn't much like the Heart of the Alien half at all -- it's basically a Poochie-ized version of Chahi's vision. C-.

8. Traysia (Genesis)

Despite a couple flashes of inspiration, this RPG is a mess. You can go practically the whole game without taking any damage, the script is full of typos and Engrish, the documentation is poor (the purpose of certain common items has yet to be discovered!), and the presentation is weak, with annoying "hitches" in the screen scrolling that underscore the half-bakedness of the whole thing. It's a pity, because the best moments in the script are among the better writing I've seen in an RPG -- which isn't saying much since that's an exceedingly low bar, but even so! D.

9. Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan (Genesis)

Often cited as the best unlicensed game on the Genesis, it's a fun beat-'em-up/hack-'n'-slash that would've been a perfectly plausible release back in the day. Certain play mechanics are a little undercooked, and it's long -- beating Hard mode with my fiancée took two full hours, which is a lot of button-mashing. But I'd take this any day over Final Fight SNES. A-.

3. Bioshock - Playstation 3

So good.. Oh, so good.

Admittedly I didn't like this game the first time I played it.. I restarted a few days ago, and couldn't put it down..

First Person shooter with A LOT more on its mind. Brilliant story, and really great combat.

• Like 1

8. Golvellius: Valley of Doom - SMS

Another adventure knocked off my play que in the same day! I'm surprised. I liked this one a little bit more than Ys but it was still tedious in the beginning. Once you get the hang of it, this game is a breeze. It uses the old password save style instead of a battery. To me it's still no match for Zelda.

9. Double Dragon - SMS
10. Taz-Mania - SMS
11. Sonic Spinball - SMS
12. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - SMS

With these games I finally have 10 Sega Master System games on my future shopping list. I'll need to get the system itself at that point too as I have just been using my Genesis to play them.

With Double Dragon it took me three attempts to complete it before learning how the continue system works and applying my strategy to that. I am much more skilled at the game than I used to be.

Taz-Mania was a walk in the park. It looks kind of cool, but yawn!

Sonic Spinball (8-bit) is ok but the physics are really crazy and nowhere near as accurate as the Genesis version. In some aspects it seems the difficulty is toned down quite a bit to make up for it even on normal mode.

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean machine is a solid port and is just as fun as the Genesis version.

#15. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (Arcade)

Not sure if I should really put this one on here since I credit fed my way through it via MAME. It was really interesting to play through though, particularly after having just recently gone through the Genesis and SNES iterations of the game. The arcade version has far more enemies on screen than the other ones, and it is far more chaotic as a result. The physics in terms of certain jumping attacks and making contact with enemies is different than the home conversions as well. It's hard to describe, but it feels more like the original TMNT arcade game than the home ports and reworking (Genesis version) of Turtles in Time. Attacking enemies feels more like slicing through butter than the nice, solid *thunk* you get in the home versions, and enemies don't seem to be stunned for a moment after making contact with them, unlike the home versions. Many bosses also have different patterns than their home counterparts, or are gone completely and changed to different bosses all together. I kind of like it like this, as there's a reason to visit both the arcade and home versions of this game.

• Like 1

#16 - Panzer Dragoon (Saturn)

#17 - Panzer Dragoon II / Zwei (Saturn)

Picked up both of these recently and decided to run through them again tonight. On-rails shooters that aren't too terribly difficult, but a joy to experience thanks to the well designed stages, excellent soundtracks, solid FMV intros/endings and climactic boss battles. Part II is definitely the more polished game of the two (holy crap, 60fps at certain points? The Saturn certainly was no slouch after all, it seems..), but the original game is still excellent as well.

Just ordered the PS2 Sega Ages port of the first Panzer Dragoon, so I'll probably get to add that to this list shortly.

• Like 2

Within Marvel vs. Capcom Origins (X360) I beat both Marvel Super Heroes and Marvel vs. Capcom with all selectable and all hidden characters in every imaginable way. I only got 390/400 gamerscore though, since one of the achievements glitched even though I met the conditions for it. I filed a bug report on unity, but no solution in sight so far: http://www.capcom-unity.com/marvelvscapcom/go/thread/view/55131/30192825/mvco-help-360-achievement-jammed

Capcom games beaten in 2013: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes & Marvel vs. Capcom

• Like 1

4. Plants Vs Zombies - Playtation 3

What a great game. Funny, colorful, quirky Tower Defense style game..

I can't recommend the ps3 version, as much as the PC version, as it is a bit weird to play with a controller. But like anything, once you get used to it.