IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2014!

Charlie Cat

25. The Great Waldo Search - SNES

Of the three versions, this one had the better sound and graphics. Still it's extremely easy if you have a good eye for things. This was one of my first two Super Nintendo games.

26. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - SNES

Unlike the Genesis version which is an action packed 1 on 1 fighter, this one is a sidescrolling beat 'em up with bosses at the end of each level and 2 one on one fights with final bosses. Even though it's comparing apples to oranges I like the plot of the Genesis version better as it involves the recruitment of the Green Ranger and fights with more recognizable bosses like Goldar. Plus the beat 'em up action gets kind of repetitive and tiring after one character's playthrough is already done. I played the game 5 times - 1 for each of the characters.

27. Mr. Nutz - SNES

This one has better audio than the Genesis version. The action in this game takes some getting used to and this version doesn't have passwords like the Genesis version, but they give you enough continues that I didn't see a game over.

28. Kirby's Avalanche - SNES

Having completed Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine for Genesis prior to this, this game was easy as it is essentially the same game with different characters, themes and music. I completed every level on Easy, Normal, Hard and Hardest difficulty settings.

29. Dragon Quest I & II (English fan translation) - SFC

Having completed the original NES versions, playing the English translation patch of this Super Famicom remake of the two games was really enjoyable and seemed easier to play. Grinding feels like less of a chore when the visuals are better.

• Like 1

21. The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends (Game Boy)

This licensed platformer is reminiscent of Ren and Stimpy: Space Cadet Adventures, but worse in pretty much every way -- forced hits, cheap shots, and pixel-perfect jumps abound. It's not completely without its moments, but is still a poor effort. D.

22. Battle Chess (NES)

Yet another version of this overrated chess title. Take away the animations, and you're left with a mediocre CPU player with no bells and whistles to offer. Oddly enough I think it may be a bit stronger than the 3DO version, but I could be making that up. D.

23. Floigan Bros. (Dreamcast)

The concept -- train your savant/lunk of a brother to accomplish various tasks -- is pretty good; the execution isn't. Moments of humor help, and I wanted to like this adventure/puzzle game, but it's riddled with control problems, camera issues, questionable design decisions, and obscure, finicky behavior. I had to look at a walkthrough to solve the final problem, not because I didn't know what to do but because doing it wasn't working. D+.

11. Castle of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse - Playstation 3 (remake)

This was a lot of fun!! Don't have the nostalgia for the original game like most people who play this.. But was still a blast.. A freebie on PS+ this month. Was really short, and while thats not really a complaint, still was hungry for more upon completion. Really tempted to buy the Duck Tales Remake now..

30. Final Fantasy II - SNES

Yay Final Fantasy IV's original US release has finally been cleared on the actual system with no cheats, frameskip or savestates. It was a lot easier than the first three Final Fantasy games for NES & Famicom, although I do know this US version was based on Japan's Easy Type version of the game.

I remember beating that game in a couple days back at the time. Part of the reason is that it's so engrossing that you have to keep playing.

"Final Fantasy III" was harder. I got near the end, but I never finished it.

I finished Syberia II yesterday. I realize that the Syberia games are considered classics of the point-and-click adventure genre, and there is a lot to like, but overall, I only thought the games were okay.

I love the visuals of the game and much of the characterization. What I didn't like is that, especially in the second game, the protagonist seems to become just a means to tell the story and not an interesting character in and of herself. When we reach the end of the game, we have the culmination of another significant character's story; however, we really don't have a conclusion for the protagonist. We get much less of her relationships with other people, as she more or less ignores them, and she gets lost in the journey of another character. Compare this with a game like The Longest Journey in which the protagonist consistently maintains a certain personality and seems more than just a vessel we use to get to the story's end. I feel like I know April Ryan by the end of The Longest Journey. Kate Walker, not so much.

• Like 1

Donkey Kong Country 3

But I played straight through without trying to collect everything and ignored the Krematoa levels. That was difficult enough. Now I've finally beaten all three SNES games.

Edited by mbd30

I remember beating that game in a couple days back at the time. Part of the reason is that it's so engrossing that you have to keep playing.

"Final Fantasy III" was harder. I got near the end, but I never finished it.

Yeah that was a harder game. But I found it a lot more interesting. I still haven't done a legit run of III/VI yet though. I used to use codes back in high school when I would play the re-releases on Playstation. My first legit runs on the actual consoles for the first four Final Fantasy games were done this year. I really liked all of them so far, each one better than the last.

I finished Syberia II yesterday. I realize that the Syberia games are considered classics of the point-and-click adventure genre, and there is a lot to like, but overall, I only thought the games were okay.

I love the visuals of the game and much of the characterization. What I didn't like is that, especially in the second game, the protagonist seems to become just a means to tell the story and not an interesting character in and of herself.

I still loved both games because of the meditative gameplay experience and (as you said) the stunning visuals. The atmosphere is wonderful and some of the music is great. You're right though. Especially the second game lacks a satisfying conclusion.

In other news, I just beat Final Fight 3 on SNES - easy mode. Don't point at me and laugh, please. It is actually the first Beat 'Em Up on which I spent more than 10 minutes. Never was a big fan of the genre, but I had a few strenous days and needed to kick some ass.

• Like 2

In other news, I just beat Final Fight 3 on SNES - easy mode. Don't point at me and laugh, please. It is actually the first Beat 'Em Up on which I spent more than 10 minutes. Never was a big fan of the genre, but I had a few strenous days and needed to kick some ass.

Really? I thought everyone enjoyed beat 'em ups. Have you tried Streets of Rage 2? It's one of my favorite games of all time. I've played that game a lot, and I still enjoy it every time I play it.

You might also consider trying Streets of Rage Remake (excellent PC fan-made game), though the length of that game may turn you off.

But really, Final Fight 3 can't compare to either of those . . . :-D

• Like 1

Meanwhile I completed most of Resident Evil 2 (NGC): I played through all 4 story lines, unlocked and completed "The 4th Survivor" and also played Extreme Battle mode up to level 3 unlocking all 4 characters.What I didn't unlock is Tofu mode, since it requires beating the game 6 times in a row with an A rank - which I'd consider redundant time wasting :)

Overall an excellent game, albeit definitely not topping REmake for me.

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends & Resident Evil 2

24. Fe[56]

This descendant of 2048/Threes amused me for 20 minutes or so, and taught me a few things I didn't know about nuclear fusion. I'm not going to grade it, but it was worth the time I spent on it.

25. The Flintstones: Bedrock Bowling (PlayStation)

Shovelware, sure -- but amusing shovelware, and I ain't too proud for that. It's more of a tobogganing game than a bowling game, but either way the stages are fairly well-designed, the graphics are serviceable, and the voice acting is good. Plus you can save after every stage, though a "retry" button is sorely missed (as is too often the case).

Not sure whether I'm disappointed or relieved that collecting all the gems doesn't seem to unlock anything or affect the ending. I pulled off a perfect score on Medium difficulty -- all strikes, all gems, all dodos -- but got nothing special for the gems, not even an acknowledging "100%" at the end of the game. Getting all the gems on Hard would be a major hassle, so I just went after the strikes and dodos (and unlocked the last two courses thereby), but it seemed too easy that way.

So I guess it's incumbent on the player to self-impose the 100% standard for maximum value. And hey, if I were a broke kid in the early 2000s with no other games to play, I'd try to extract everything I could from this one -- and the fact that it wouldn't be a completely thankless task is a small victory. (Maybe the designers understood that "broke kid with no other games to play" should always be part of the design plan?) C-.

(EDIT: I went back and played through Hard, getting all strikes, gems, and dodos. As I suspected, the game gives you no reward for that achievement, but it was still a fun challenge.)

26. Project: Horned Owl (PlayStation)

Beaten with my other half on Very Hard; she actually came close to 1CC'ing her character. It's an accessible, reasonably fun rail shooter that controls well and plays fair, which is always a big plus in this genre. But something about the game isn't fully satisfying, probably because it's too easy and too linear. And the storyline falls flat, amounting to little more than a constant stream of irrelevant chatter, punctuated by long dead intervals with nothing to do. C+.

• Like 1

Finished The Blackwell Legacy today. I would provide comments, but it seems like the Blackwell games are intended to be taken as a whole and not as individual games (at least, The Blackwell Legacy seemed more like the first act of a larger story).

On to Blackwell Unbound . . .

Tonight, I finished Blackwell Unbound. I think the second entry has more interested in the overall story than I was at the end of the first game. I'm really curious now to see the story progression, and I actually want to go ahead and start the third game (though I'm going to make myself wait until tomorrow).

31. Gex - Saturn

Seems identical to the Playstation version I am used to. This time I even completed Planet X and got the funny secret ending.

Funny thing, I've never played a GEX game in my life, not even the 3D ones.

31. Gex - Saturn

Seems identical to the Playstation version I am used to. This time I even completed Planet X and got the funny secret ending.

I used to play that on the Playstation but got really hard for me. I never bothered picking it up again but maybe someday.

12. Street Fighter IV - Xbox 360

This game.. The Vanilla version for 360, has been a thorn in my side since I got it... Fantastic game, but I will still stand by, that the 360 controller is not made for fighters.. At least for me.. I really want to get an Arcade stick!!

Once I got the hang of the controller, and spent a few hours in Versus mode against characters that tend to give me trouble (Zangief & Guile) I was able to clear Arcade mode on Easy & Medium difficulties with Ken..

I have such a massive backlog of games, I don't know why I am spending so much time with Street Fighter.. Oh well...

• Like 1

I used to play that on the Playstation but got really hard for me. I never bothered picking it up again but maybe someday.

If you struggle, the key is to go back to earlier levels you can get through easily enough and stock up on extra lives by doing the bonus stage over and over. For me the easiest Bonus Stage to reach was the one in Rock It! in the toon world. It is so close to the beginning that you can rack up some lives, die, re-enter and repeat the process.

• Like 1

12. Street Fighter IV - Xbox 360

This game.. The Vanilla version for 360, has been a thorn in my side since I got it... Fantastic game, but I will still stand by, that the 360 controller is not made for fighters.. At least for me.. I really want to get an Arcade stick!!

I was considering an arcade stick for the 360 for a while, but eventually went with a much cheaper Figthing Pad from Madcatz. They made two different types, from which I prefer the SFIV branded ones over the SFxT ones, since they're ~30% bigger :)

Yoshi's Island

Mind you, I've been playing this game off and on for YEARS and I finally committed myself to beating the damned thing. I actually have the cartridge, but decided to play it on the PC with an emulator instead for convenience sake.

It took me quite a few tries to perfect my aim on the final boss. Sometimes I could hit him, sometimes I couldn't. When I finally took him down, it felt so good.

I didn't even try to beat it 100%.