IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2014!

Charlie Cat

36. Air Fortress (NES)

Despite its predilection for unavoidable hits -- and having enemies attack you from angles at which you can't quickly counterattack! -- Air Fortress is an old favorite and one of my top sleeper picks for the NES. While I've played it now and then over the past couple decades, I don't think I've beaten the whole game since the early '90s, so the NES beat-'em-all at NintendoAge gave me an excuse to play through it again. It's still fun, and I enjoyed scrawling out messy maps of the more difficult levels. A-.

37. The Flash (Game Boy)

Forgettable platformer suffers from slowdown, ironically enough. There's not much substance or variety to the gameplay, and passwords make it trivial to beat. D+.

38. Tuff E Nuff (SNES)

It's beyond derivatiive, but as Street Fighter II clones go, I actually think this is slightly better than average -- or at least it controls quite well, which is half the battle. But the game isn't properly balanced (e.g. you can't use well-timed physical attacks to pass through projectiles), the AI tends to succumb to cheap patterns, and there's a total lack of bells and whistles. The Japanese version (Dead Dance) had additional dialogue and sprites, but their absence isn't really the pressing issue.

I could do without the "theatrical" slowdown too, not to mention the fact that it takes too long to get through the menus when you're trying to start a new match after losing. And hey, while I'm at it: why can't I turn off replay? C.

• Like 1

#5 - New Adventure Island - TG-16.

Now, of course, my version of completing this required about 23,000 continues, but if anyone can beat this cruel bastard on three lives I will bow down before them. Some of the stages were just plain sadistic. And it looked like such a casual game.....

• Like 1

39. Art of Fighting (SNES)

I seem to play through some version of this game about once a year; in this case, I did it for the NA SNES beat-'em-all. Looks nice, tries to be faithful to the original, but a gaping hole in the AI makes it trivial to beat. C-.

40. Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool (SNES)

Better music and sound effects than the Genesis version, but the gameplay has been dumbed down to the point of silliness. D-.

41. Chester Cheetah: Wild Wild Quest (SNES)

Take the Genesis game, add a transparent HUD and tons of slowdown. Most boss fights are easier, but the final rally race with Mean Eugene is an ordeal on Hard difficulty until you find the right pattern. D.

• Like 2

24. Kirby's Dreamland - Gameboy

Very short, enjoyable enough.. Unless this your first played game in the series, it feels really empty.. Kirby's Adventure on the NES, is a lot better.. I realize its a Gameboy game so I am not really judging it harshly. Probably won't play it again tho..

25. Final Doom - Plutonia Experiment - PC

2nd half of Final Doom, or maybe its the first half.. Either way, this one seemed A LOT harder than TNT.. Still an amazing installment.. Finished with all the main series games now.. Tons of other mods to play now...

I beat Gray Matter tonight. It was an enjoyable game, though not extraordinary. I liked the main character (Samantha) quite a bit, but the sequences when you switched to the other character (Dr. Styles) seemed to drag and weren't as interesting. It didn't help that for practically anything he interacts with he has to comment on how it reminds him of his dead wife. It made him very one dimensional and boring.

The magic tricks that Sam has to use in certain parts of the game seemed gimmicky and didn't really add to the experience. I think the game would have been better had it not included little puzzle segments where you have to choose the right actions to perform in the right order. There didn't seem to be any consequences for getting the actions wrong, so you just keep trying until you get it right.

Anyway, I did appreciate the use of a female protagonist who actually had a distinct, likable personality (which I felt was lacking in Syberia). If the focus had remained on her and the Dr. Styles sequences weren't included, I think the game would have provided a better experience.

Filling halftime breaks and gaps between World Cup matches, I played through Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX (PSP) with all 37 characters in Arcade mode :)

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Rival Schools & Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX

Completed Contrast today. I loved the art style and setting, but the game was surprisingly short. It only took me about three hours to finish. I liked the shadow feature in the game, and they could have done a lot more with it. It just felt like there were in a rush to release it and weren't able to fully realize what the game could have been.

Story-wise, the game wasn't so great. The characters were stereotypes, and the writing was somewhat mediocre. Plus, the mom's proportions were a bit ridiculous.

Played through the scenario mode of Trick'n Snowboarder (PSX) tonight :)

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Rival Schools, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX & Trick'n Snowboarder

42. The Last Action Hero (SNES)

Already said my piece on this one here. Not quite the bottom of the barrel, because there's a playable game here with content, but it's teetering on the edge of the abyss. D-.

43. Gunfighter: The Legend of Jesse James (PlayStation)

Entertaining but shallow light-gun shooter with a Wild West theme and duck 'n' cover gameplay. I read some comments online describing this game as extremely hard; maybe it's tougher with a GunCon, but using the D-pad reticule I was able to reach the final boss on my first try, and beat the game on my second. I'm not sure how I feel about turning the historical, KKK-affiliated Jesse James into a protagonist (even an anti-hero protagonist); then again, Aaron Copland made a whole ballet out of a murderous dullard. C.

44. Wheel of Fortune (Sega CD)

I suppose the puzzles are decent, and the autosaving is a small but significant plus. But otherwise this is a horrible version of the popular game show, with crippling load times, weird UI decisions, and mediocre visuals. D-.

Finally finished Assassin's Creed: Revelations last week (haven't played since I was in the hospital).

Just finished The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, then played The Little Mermaid: Magic In Two Kingdoms, which I now beat that, only took 15 minutes, :(

So I did a playthrough of Super Double Dragon on SNES, and that's it for now.

Resident Evil 6 (PS3)

Probably the worst game of the past generation; certainly the dumbest. Resident Evil 6 is an extreme example of spectacle over substance. It's a bombastic extravaganza of QTE prompts, cutscenes, and button-mashing, and it's plagued throughout by poor design, lousy mechanics, and a convoluted narrative. Resident Evil 6 epitomizes everything wrong in modern gaming. In fact, it is so pitch-perfect in that regard that I'd swear it was deliberate satire... if only it wasn't so ludicrously earnest at every turn.

Evidently, Capcom was hoping to use Resident Evil's brand recognition as leverage to carve out for themselves a slice of the lucrative cinematic-action segment of gaming. However, RE6 makes it clear that Capcom is well outside their element in that arena, lacking any real understanding of what it is that makes cinematic-action games compelling and popular to begin with.

I don't know how games like this happen, but I'm almost certain the explanation can be found at the intersection where corporate interest collides with creative endeavor. Whatever the reason, I've never played anything so utterly mis-conceived. It's like that time Homer Simpson designed that giant green automobile for his brother's car company: Absolutely wondrous to behold, but monumentally, monstrously, staggeringly awful.

Edited by Christophero Sly
  • Like 1

Totally agree. I definitely had a much better time with Resident Evil Revelations (PS3), which I accidently just finished, than with Resident Evil 6. Still, unlike RE:ORC, at least I managed stay it through to the end ;)

I think I already said it elsewhere, but for RE6 it would already be an improvement to just completely throw away the Chris Redfield campaign ;)

• Like 1

I've beaten the first Power Stone from Power Stone Collection (PSP) with all 14 characters now, unlocking all pages from the "Secret Book" :)

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Rival Schools, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, Trick'n Snowboarder & Power Stone

• Like 1

45. Star Wars Chess (Sega CD)

"Re-beaten" for the Sega-16 effort. Last time I beat it, I gave it an F, and I think that still stands; just moving my pieces to the proper squares was often a dicey proposition.

46. It Came from the Desert (Genesis)

Unreleased but finished, this shares a name but little else with the Amiga game. If it had been sold at retail its hair-pulling gameplay and short length would deserve no better than a D, but the publisher's generosity in sharing the ROM for free bumps the grade up to a C.

47. True Lies (Genesis)

One of my favorite posters on Sega-16 absolutely loathed True Lies, calling it "the game that convinced me to stop buying games for the Genesis"; while I often agreed with his opinions, I'm bewildered by this one. It's true that the stages are often overlong and repetitive, and Arnold's waddling shimmy is pretty ridiculous (not to mention that his diving move resembles a baby goat gamboling in the fields). Otherwise, though, this is a very competent overhead shooter that plays fair and offers a decent challenge, but even on Hard mode, a slow-and-steady approach is usually a ticket to straightforward success. B.

Art of Fighting (SNES)

Hooked up the SNES today on a whim. And whenever I hook up the SNES, I always play through this game. I don't really know why I enjoy this version of the game as much as I do. Objectively, I admit, it's substandard. I guess I just find something charming in it. I've always preferred the renditions of Micky's and Lee's themes in this version of the game to any others. They're permanently stuck in my head. I always forget, however, just how hard it is to pull off the special moves in this version. I can usually get the flying kick to come out with a hcf+k motion instead of the stock db(hold)-->f+k, but I can almost never get the Lightning Punch to come out when I want. I really need to try the Genesis version of this game sometime and see what the differences are in regards to control.

Also, I can now corroborate the enormous AI hole (reverse kick jump in-->throw) that goldenband discovered in this version. I can't believe I never discovered it myself. Kind of sad, however, because it does completely break the game.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES)

This port has too many critics. Sure, it's not the Saturn version, and substantial cuts had to be made to the backgrounds, animation, and game modes, but when you consider all the comparative limitations of the SNES hardware, not enough credit is given to this port for what it manages to preserve. I've always found the complaints about the loading times in this version to be especially petty. You want to experience loading times? Play the PS1 versions of the Street Fighter games. Waiting a beat and a half in the SNES version for the BGM to load before each fight is a trivial delay in comparison.

• Like 3

Last week I beat Die Hard Vendetta for Gamecube. I had a lot of fun with it but the game was pretty mediocre. Jumping was a PITA and the ability to only save after beating a level made you have to perfect some levels to make it through. Having to listen to the same dialog 50 times to get through a level got extremely annoying. It was very satisfying when beating a level though.

• Like 1

Fatal Fury Special (SNES)

Beyond playing a brief bit of it in the PS2 Archive collection, I have no experience with the original Neo-Geo version of this game, so I can't speak to the quality of this SNES port as a conversion. Nevertheless, I think this is a decent game when considered in and of itself. It's one of the better fighting games on the SNES, IMO. It plays quite well, looks good, has a large roster of fighters, and the controls are, generally, responsive. However, the specials are difficult to pull-off consistently. Not as hard as AoF in that regard, but far from the effortlessness of the SFII games. I'm not a fan of the soundtrack.

The game is quite challenging. In fact, frustratingly so at times, largely because the desperation specials are overpowered. The CPU likes to spam its desperation specials when it gets down in a match, and if you're not vigilantly guarding against them, you can go from dominating the match to being back on your heels in the blink of an eye. Conversely, the aforementioned difficulty with getting special moves to register in the game, especially the more complicated desperation specials, makes it hard to turn the tables on the CPU in the same way.

Dirt Trax FX (SNES)

While the visuals are 3-D, the gameplay is decidedly one-dimensional. Functional, I suppose. Maybe even technically impressive, but the boring and simplistic gameplay makes the game seem like little more than an attempt to cash-in on the hype that surrounded the SuperFX chip.

F-Zero (SNES)

My favorite 16-bit racer, but the only F-Zero game I've ever liked. I've never cared for any of its sequels. I haven't played through it in years, and I forgot just how challenging it could be. Has one of the greatest soundtracks in 16-bit gaming. Scratch that. It has one of the greatest soundtracks ever in gaming. Outstanding game.

• Like 1