IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2014!

Charlie Cat

Good to know, I recently bought me a copy too :)

Right on! I'd be interested to hear your impressions of it sometime.

Final Fight (Arcade (PS2))

Guy's, Rolento's, and Katana's appearances (and all the other cameos) in SFA2 got me thinking about this game, so I pulled out the Capcom Classics compilation and decided to have at it. I've never been all that great at beat-em-ups, and I've long since been out of practice with this particular one, so I had to burn through a few continues in order to finish it. I would have done better had I realized that Guy's jumping spin-kicks were eating away at my life bar. :ponder:

I'm going to keep messing with the game on-and-off and see if I can manage to finish it using just two continues. Even at my best, I don't think I can do better than that.

Exed Exes (Arcade (PS2))

After Final Fight, I found myself messing around with some of the obscure games on the Capcom Classics compilation that I'd never heard of, and ended up getting sucked into this game for about 2 hours. It's like a cross between Xevious and Galaga. It's a vertical shooter that consists of a variety of different waves of enemies and boss battles that are mixed together in various patterns to create longer "rounds". The game is difficult. You have to do a lot of dodging and your ship is not very agile. Also, your primary weapon has limited range. In the single-player game, you will eventually be worn down by attrition, no matter how skilled. However, I suspect that two-players (simultaneous) might fair much better.

I would probably write the game off as a typical arcade quarter-eater, but it does have an interesting dynamic that, tweaked, could have made this game something memorable. You're given a limited supply of "crash" bombs that when triggered destroy all enemy projectiles on screen. When I built up a large reserve of these bombs I was able to get into a very satisfying rhythm with this game were I could go 5-10 minutes without dying. As soon as my crash bombs were gone, however, my lives followed in short order. Giving you unlimited crash bombs, but limiting their use to once every 10-12 secs. (through some sort of charging mechanism or something) would have made this game semi-amazing. It would have preserved a requisite need for skill, but given those sufficiently skilled the necessary tools to sidestep all that hopeless attrition.

Anyway, the game has 16 unique rounds, after which it starts over at round one, though it's called round 17. I burned through however may continues it took me to reach round 17, saw the congratulations message, and called the game beaten.

Oh, and the repetitive BGM just about drove me over the edge. Neat parallax though.

Edited by Christophero Sly
  • Like 2

I couldn't remember if Exed Exes were the game I was thinking of, so I looked it up on YouTube. Yes, this is indeed the game where some of the power-ups turn the insectoid enemies into fruit worth big points.

In the single-player game, you will eventually be worn down by attrition, no matter how skilled.

[. . .]

Anyway, the game has 16 unique rounds, after which it starts over at round one, though it's called round 17. I burned through however may continues it took me to reach round 17, saw the congratulations message, and called the game beaten.

The clip I found showed a guy who played/survived (though with occasional deaths) for about 2.5 hours, reaching 10 million points. Apparently, that's when the game truly ends. It happened during Round 32 for him--during, not after; the game actually stops when you hit that score, congratulates you for hitting 10 million, ends, and takes you to the name entry screen.

Soooo *ahem* you didn't really beat it. ;)

onmode-ky

• Like 2

Jumping in pretty late in the year, but...

So far, I've beat a few games

NES/Famicom

Ninja Gaiden 1,2,3,(I dunno if it's considered seperate)Trilogy

Contra

Super C

Super Mario 2(Japanese)

Genesis/Mega Drive

Splatterhouse 2

Splatterhouse 3

PC

DOOM 2

Apple II

Time Zone

Cranston Manor

The Wizzard and the Princess

Zork 1,2,3

Ikari Warriors

Commando

3DO

Alone in the Dark 1,2

Star Fighter

PO'ed

• Like 2

The clip I found showed a guy who played/survived (though with occasional deaths) for about 2.5 hours, reaching 10 million points. Apparently, that's when the game truly ends. It happened during Round 32 for him--during, not after; the game actually stops when you hit that score, congratulates you for hitting 10 million, ends, and takes you to the name entry screen.

Soooo *ahem* you didn't really beat it. ;)

Uihjah, I also considered it beaten after the "loop" point back in 2011 when I played it. Don't think I'll be going through it again though - as far as I remember it wasn't that fun... :lolblue:

Uihjah, I also considered it beaten after the "loop" point back in 2011 when I played it. Don't think I'll be going through it again though - as far as I remember it wasn't that fun... :lolblue:

What a coincidence; I also marked the game as beaten in 2011 when I looped it once! But in light of the discovery above, I have edited my records to mark it as not really beaten. And I too will not be going through it again--I don't know about your skill level, but there's no way I could survive for 2.5 hours in that game on one credit, and the amount of practice which that level of skill would require to achieve is not worth my time. :)

onmode-ky

What a coincidence; I also marked the game as beaten in 2011 when I looped it once! But in light of the discovery above, I have edited my records to mark it as not really beaten. And I too will not be going through it again--I don't know about your skill level, but there's no way I could survive for 2.5 hours in that game on one credit, and the amount of practice which that level of skill would require to achieve is not worth my time. :)

While I actually 1CC'd several Capcom arcade games like e.g. Pirate Ship Higemaru or SonSon, I'm only doing that if I'm forced to - if an arcade game offers continues I'm using them. Regarding Exed Exes in particular, I remember playing it in coop with a workmate and at least as long as not both are dying at the same time, the dead player can rejoin the game after a few seconds with a fresh set of lives ;)

Though I will probably go back and see just how far I can actually get on 1 credit, I have no interest in attempting to 1CC Exed Exes either.

Deus Ex: Invisible War (XBOX)

This game scored well with the critics, but it seems to have a terrible reputation among fans of the original Deus Ex. Having never played the original, I can't speak to those opinions, but having played my fair share of disappointing sequels, I can certainly relate to them. Nevertheless, considered in a vacuum, I thought this game was actually pretty good. It has some clear flaws, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I really need to play the original someday.

Fable (XBOX) -- Beat this one back in May, I think.

Fable is much more of an action-adventure game than an RPG. The visuals and art direction are outstanding, and the first half of the game, when I was still exploring the gameworld and piecing together the plot, was quite charming. Some time after the mid-point, however, it became increasingly clear that the game is actually a rather shallow affair and most everything it attempts to offer to the player is decidedly undercooked. The framework for a great game was here, but, ultimately, Fable turns out to be a disappointingly thin experience.

Edited by Christophero Sly

During the last couple of days I've played through Dino Crisis (Dreamcast) thrice to get all three endings and also unlocked the bonus game :)

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Rival Schools, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, Trick'n Snowboarder, Power Stone & Dino Crisis

48. Iron Helix (Sega CD)

49. Sampras Tennis '96 (Genesis)

Not going to grade either of these, since I've submitted reviews for Sega-16. Suffice it to say that the former was reasonably entertaining, and the latter was a disappointment.

50. Krazy Ivan (PlayStation)

For once FMV actually helps to redeem a game, since this wouldn't be nearly as fun without the over-the-top cutscenes and hammy Russian accents. Otherwise it's a short, easy mech-based FPS that plays smoothly, but isn't thoughtfully designed. C.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (PS2)

A bit on the short side, but a surprisingly decent third-person shooter. More of a straight-up run-and-gun due to brain-dead enemy AI and the lack of a cover system or any sort of stealth mechanics. There is some minor platforming in the game, however. The game has an appealing cyber-punk sort of vibe to it, but I had trouble following the convoluted plot. Fans of the anime would probably get more out of that aspect of the game than I did.

A*M*O*K Sega Saturn

Finished the game, however due to the game not having a save feature and not having the time to sit and play the whole thing in one sitting I did use level skipping to return to my last reached level. I was abit disappointed with the ending in the game but overall it is one of the prettiest games on the Saturn I've seen :)

10348599_921268091222713_753392450359823

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Rival Schools, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, Trick'n Snowboarder, Power Stone, Dino Crisis & Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

• Like 1

27. Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst - PC

I have a soft spot for these games apparently.. So relaxing.. Looking forward to more!

28. Rage - Xbox 360

This was a total surprise for me.. What a brilliant game! Loved the setting, the racing and the combat.. All extremely well done.. Really felt like I was playing Mad Max: The video game!

As for the ending of the game, all I can say is: WHERE THE $&% IS THE SEQUEL?!?

Another one done, I've seen the 'true' ending for all 22 Plasma Sword (DC) characters this week :)

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Rival Schools, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, Trick'n Snowboarder, Power Stone, Dino Crisis, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure & Plasma Sword

• Like 1

Crysis (360)

Apparently, when it was first released, Crysis looked spectacular on state-of-the-art PC's. Seven years later, shoe-horned onto the 360, it's nothing special, and regardless of whatever technical merits the game once possessed, aesthetically, it's uninspired, generic, and dull. Likewise, the gameplay is shallow and shockingly unsophisticated. I don't know how Crysis earned a reputation for open-ended gameplay because it's entirely linear and offers almost no opportunities for emergent, free-form gameplay. Crysis' other claim to fame--the "nano-suit"-- contributes nothing of real substance to the gameplay, amounting to little more than a tedious exercise in constant energy management. Topping it all off, the story is lousy. Crysis is the most overrated game I've played in a long time.

I just beat Loaded on Sega Saturn :) had a lot of fun with it :) awesome soundtrack in this game too, but the final boss was too easy and last cutscene too short :(

Yeah great game, also on Playstation. That game is what made me find out about the band Pop Will Eat Itself and led me to buy the album that has the song Kick to Kill. I liked their new comeback album from 2011 too.

51. Skull & Crossbones (NES)

I know a lot of people don't think much of it, but I've always had a soft spot for this pirate-themed action platformer, which I last beat sometime in the early 1990s. The jumping physics are a little loopy but you're not really punished for it, and most of the game is very fair. A-.

52. Total Recall (NES)

I got a little bit of Stockholm syndrome in the process of mastering this game, but in truth it really is lousy. There's way too much cheapness, which takes a lot of tedious grinding to overcome, and the character and level design are often nonsensical. That said, most of the game is more or less playable, but a couple bosses cross the line into time-wasting absurdity. D.

53. The Act (Arcade)

Had the pleasure of playing this ultra-rare animated game on real hardware at Game Grid in Salt Lake City, UT, and my wife and I jointly collaborated to beat it. I can't really grade it since the sound wasn't working and the dial controls have been temporarily swapped for a trackball, but I certainly enjoyed it -- notwithstanding the considerable frustrations of the cryptic Heimlich sequence, which wasn't much fun after the tenth attempt or so.

• Like 1