IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2014!

Charlie Cat

So, I played through Resident Evil 3 (GC) on hard difficulty twice during the last couple of days in order to see both endings and try all the "live decisions". I'm not going to play through it for another 6 times just to unlock all 8 epilogue files though :ponder:

I had a brief look at the mercenaries mini game, but it's seriously broken when played on a German GameCube: Due to censoring you won't get any points or time bonus for killing zombies or Nemesis here, which makes it impossible to beat or obtain a regular score. Unlocking the unlimited weapons killing dogs and crows would take an eternity :-o

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Rival Schools, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, Trick'n Snowboarder, Power Stone, Dino Crisis, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Plasma Sword & Resident Evil 3

• Like 1

This was a couple weeks ago, but it was years in the making. Playing Wayne Gretzky's 3D hockey on the hardest difficulty is a true test of my gaming fortitude. I finally got the Stanley Cup. I almost never enjoy sports games, but this N64 classic is so intense with fast paced arcade style action, I got hooked.

post-33964-0-52025700-1408809367_thumb.jpg

Donkey Kong on the Gameboy.

I never played this when it came out, but had always meant to. Picked it up the other day and wish I'd done so sooner. Such a great puzzle game that is only hindered by the crazy amount of free lives the game gives you.

I also always assumed that Mario's triple jump with gymnast end stance and backflip originated in Super Mario 64, but no, it was this.

• Like 1

29. Monster in my Pocket - NES

Great little Konami platformer! Loved the toys when I was a kid.. Still have a few, and now playing this game, I feel like I should seek out more...

30. Swamp Thing - NES

Swamp Thing is one of my very favorite characters.. And I REALLY wanted to like this game, but its a bit too brutal for me.. The platforming sucks, and the hit detection is just nuts.. I game genie'd this one to get the completion.

31. Toxic Crusader - NES

A lot can be said about the Toxic Crusader/Avenger, and not all good things. This was a fun game, parts of it are infuriating, but above all its a pretty simple beat em up.. Its got some platforming sprinkled in too that wasn't bad..

32. Toxic Crusader - Gameboy

This was the real surprise.. TONS better than the NES game.. No longer a beat em up, now a side scrolling run & gun/action platformer. Lot of fun. Loved that you could use all the different Crusaders besides Toxie.. He was actually one of the weaker ones.. I played most of the game with Junkyard & Headbanger because their shots had a wider spread. Had a lot of fun with this one!!

54. The Chessmaster (Game Boy)

The engine is fairly strong, but too deterministic, which means it can easily be led into the same lines (and traps) over and over again. Also, maybe it's just my copy, but the game seems buggy as hell -- I saw multiple crashes, and at least two illegal moves (!) from the CPU. C.

55. Jeopardy! (Sega CD)

Eh, it's Jeopardy. The questions are somewhat dated, the CPU doesn't wager intelligently, and it crashed at least once on me (though that may have been the emulator). At least it auto-saves your game in progress. C.

56. Death Trap (Atari 2600)

A real rarity -- an Atari 2600 game that can be beaten! -- and it even has Easy, Medium, and Hard difficulty. With its turrets protected by rotating shields, the gameplay is akin to a very slow-moving version of Phoenix or Star Castle, but requires tremendous precision since, instead of stripping away the enemy's shield with your shots, you actually generate new, indestructible shield pieces with every successful hit. Thus, your task is to perfectly time your shots so that they line up with existing shield pieces; otherwise, by the time you attack the third turret, you won't be able to get through the enemy's defenses before the playfield compacts you into the titular "Death Trap".

Anyway, most people won't like this style of gameplay at all, while some may find pleasure in the strategic play of Easy and Medium. But on Hard, you're under such constant fire that it becomes much harder to enjoy the game per se, though beating it at last was satisfying. B-.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's 100% accurate to say that I beat it, but I played through all of the main missions in AvP Evolution on the OUYA recently. Though the game certainly has some bugs (for example, there was one wall I was supposed to be able to climb as the alien that I fell through every time I tried), I enjoyed it a lot. I've always liked beat-'em-ups, and the variety offered by playing as both the alien and the predator made it definitely worth the $2.50 I spent on it. I have yet to play through all of the side missions or the two bonus levels (playing as the alien queen in the alien bonus level is nowhere nearly as fun as it should be), but they're (typically) short missions that don't really add to the overall story.

33. Smash TV - Midway Arcade Origins (PS3)

Wonderful twin stick shooter!

34. Total Carnage - Midway Arcade Origins (PS3)

Spiritual sequel to Smash TV, just as awesome. More powerups, more gore..

35. Proteus - PS Vita (PS+ Freebie)

I think they call these "Art House" games? Strangely entrancing.. No gameplay, just walking around looking at the environments.. Listening to the ambient soundtrack.. Watching the seasons change.. Not a very good "game" but oddly enough a very cool experience.. Glad I didn't pay for it tho...

Clocking in at 6 hours and 2 minutes I just played through Mega Man V (3DS) :)

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Rival Schools, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, Trick'n Snowboarder, Power Stone, Dino Crisis, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Plasma Sword, Resident Evil 3 & Mega Man V

57. Gauntlet Legends (Dreamcast)

My wife and I beat this on Medium in July, and then on Very Hard last week. This version was fun enough, but I think we still prefer the N64 version for its superior camera, more accurate targeting, and more versatile item management and shop system. Then again, the Dreamcast port is really Dark Legacy in a Legends skin, so we're looking forward to taking on the GameCube port of Dark Legacy and seeing what we think. A-.

58. Hatris (Game Boy)

I've seen this called a horrendous disaster, but it's really just a middling puzzle game. The rigid structure doesn't allow for much finesse or creative play, though, and ultimately it's too easy. C-.

59. Tennis (Game Boy)

While watching the US Open I took out the Level 4 CPU in two tiebreaks, 7-6(6) 7-6(3). I originally beat this back in 2011, and gave it an A- then. This time around I'm less smitten; the CPU's frequent lobs feel cheap, and something about the gameplay doesn't click. Still far better than the NES game, though. B.

• Like 1

57. Gauntlet Legends (Dreamcast)

My wife and I beat this on Medium in July, and then on Very Hard last week. This version was fun enough, but I think we still prefer the N64 version for its superior camera, more accurate targeting, and more versatile item management and shop system. Then again, the Dreamcast port is really Dark Legacy in a Legends skin, so we're looking forward to taking on the GameCube port of Dark Legacy and seeing what we think. A-.

The Dreamcast version only has a handful of stages from Dark Legacy and overall is a little closer to the arcade version than what you will find on other systems. You are in for quite a lengthy experience if you decide to tackle Dark Legacy, it has many more worlds and it introduces even more fetch quests.

• Like 1

The Dreamcast version only has a handful of stages from Dark Legacy and overall is a little closer to the arcade version than what you will find on other systems. You are in for quite a lengthy experience if you decide to tackle Dark Legacy, it has many more worlds and it introduces even more fetch quests.

Huh, interesting -- based on this post, I thought all the Dreamcast levels were maps taken from Dark Legacy, since "all levels are Dark Legacy level maps", according to ABF. Then again, the post is confusing -- he says "note that these are all the Dark Legacy levels and world versions, not the Legends ones. They try to hide this by putting Mountain first as in Legends, but it's obvious once you see it. The layouts of some stages are not exactly the same as other versions of Legends." Either way when we played the DC game, I certainly didn't recognize any of the Gauntlet Legends levels I remember from the N64/PS1 version.

And: fetch quests, oh boy! :| I've also read that the original release of the GameCube game is very buggy, and unfortunately that's what we have.

A friend and I beat Trine recently. It was a fun little game that is certainly worth the $1.00 to $2.00 you frequently can find it for now. I like how the different characters can be used to overcome obstacles in different ways; however, I felt that the knight was practically useless except for the occasional battle. I much preferred using the thief, as platforming was much easier and more interesting with her and her bow allowed picking off enemies from afar.

• Like 1

60. The New Chessmaster (Game Boy)

Very similar to the "old" Chessmaster, but without the crash problems, and the algorithm has clearly been tweaked a little. Always playing the Black pieces, I beat every fourth difficulty level, i.e. Levels 1, 5, 9, and 13 (the game's highest). But I wouldn't have pulled off the last victory if the CPU hadn't mysteriously committed suicide, breaking a deadlocked drawn position wide open to my advantage.

At first I was inclined to give this a lower grade, but how much more can one expect from a Game Boy chess program? Then again, an actual congratulatory ending screen would be nice; even the NES version has that. B.

61. Pipe Dream (Game Boy)

Probably one of the most addictive puzzle games I've ever played, well-ported to the Game Boy, and defeating this on the highest difficulty was a tough task indeed that took dozens if not hundreds of attempts. My only major complaint is that there's no earthly reason not to cache the password in RAM, so I don't have to input it over and over again every time I lose a game; between that and the animated "GAME OVER" sequence, the game wastes time that didn't need to be wasted. But otherwise, great. A.

62. Tennis (PlayStation)

I beat this A1 Games budget title on Easy and Medium last year, but got thwarted on Hard and set it aside. When I returned to it today, it was pretty much as I remembered: a bare-bones but very playable game, with cut-rate graphics, an undercooked manual, and text-to-speech voiceovers. Its biggest sins are also committed by well-regarded games like Super Tennis, e.g. bizarro netplay where the person returning an overhead smash often wins the point, or broken AI rituals -- strings of aces and "deadball" winners -- that make you feel like the backboard CPU is taking pity on the player.

But unlike so many other titles, it actually resembles tennis even in the game's latter stages, and beating the final opponent on Hard took (some) actual skill. It could be, and often is, much worse. C-.

36. (Replay) Fire Emblem Awakening - 3DS

For some strange reason I felt the need to play this one again! Beat it in about 13 hours this time around. Was just as awesome the second play through.

37. (Replay) Portal - Xbox 360 (The Orange Box)

Been about 5 years since I played this the first time, but everything rushed back pretty quickly, and I was able to finish this one without a lot of problems.

38. Street Fighter III: Third Strike - PSN

Final boss, Gill. Is a bitch. Nuff said.

39. Aliens: Colonial Marines - Playstation 3

This game is a hot mess, but surprisingly a lot of fun if played with friends.. Fun as in, laugh about how terrible the game is, while shooting Xenomorphs..

• Like 1