IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2014!

Charlie Cat

63. Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (PlayStation)

Basically speaking, this is the first free-roaming 3D platformer I've ever seen through to the end -- and I did see it through, making it to 100% completion without using a walkthrough.

There's a lot to like about Croc, with solid (if cutesy) presentation and thoughtful stage design. But there are some serious rough edges, too: I should be able to do things like turn around in place without engaging in a ten-step process. And occasionally the game goes off the rails, expecting you to make multiple blind jumps or memorize a 30-step pattern at the end of a long level.

It all leaves you unsure as to who the target audience was: young kids, or experienced gamers? It wouldn't quite hit the spot for either demographic. That's a shame since, with more polish, it could've been a first-class game. As it stands, it's worthwhile but seriously flawed. B.

64. Double Dragon (Arcade)

Beaten with my wife -- until the final grudge match, that is. The absurd amount of slowdown and simplistic AI take some luster off this old classic, but not much. B+.

65. Jennifer Capriati Tennis (Genesis)

I beat this Super Tennis clone earlier this year on the boot-up settings, after which you get a password -- "GRAND.SLAM" -- that unlocks a harder difficulty mode. Last time I tried to beat GRAND.SLAM I lost in the 11th match of 12 to a super-solid backboard player named Jane, so before this attempt I played a bunch of one-set exhibition matches to figure her out.

Once I started beating Jane 6-3 and 6-1, I took on the main game -- only to have her lose in early rounds of the game's four tournaments, so that I never had to face her. Everyone else is a pushover, at least if you use power-hitting Anne who can bully them all off the court. C+.

• Like 1

40. (Replay) Mr Driller: Drill Spirits - DS

Sometimes, you just have to drill... So I felt like re-playing this gem! If you're a fan of Mr Driller, you can't go wrong with this one!!

41. Fighting Vipers - Saturn

This one is interesting.. I'm not so used to 3D fighters, my experience with them is pretty low... Arcade mode, very short & REALLY easy.. Even i could beat it in about 10 minutes.. I couldn't find a difficulty setting anywhere.. The game does have a pretty decent training mode, where you can set the CPU opponent to do different actions, so you can practice pulling off combos &/or juggles..

I ended up enjoying FV, but i can't say I recommend it.. Virtua Fighter 2 is better..

• Like 1

I finished Remember Me tonight. I really liked the setting and protagonist a lot, and while I enjoyed the game as a whole, many of the battles felt a little tedious. The game allows you to string together multi-hit combos, but I often got hit in the middle of attempting to pull off a longer combo due to being frequently surrounded by enemies, so I tended to rely on only a couple of combos to get me through the game. I had high hopes for this game and wish that the combat had been a little more polished, but for me, the protagonist and setting make up for a lot and may prompt me to revisit this game in the future.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After sinking over 6 weeks into Street Fighter III (360), today I claimed the final two achievements within 2 hours :)

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Rival Schools, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, Trick'n Snowboarder, Power Stone, Dino Crisis, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Plasma Sword, Resident Evil 3, Mega Man V & Street Fighter III

• Like 2

For the first time ever I finally beat Super Castlevania IV. The Grim reaper and the pole axe bird dude were the most difficult parts, but I was happy to finially buckle down and get past the game. I've had it since release, but somehow never saw the ending until this year. What a epic game.

• Like 2

66. Chess (Tandy CoCo)

Unexpectedly weak chess game for a platform that's capable of better. At least the pace of play is quick. D+.

67. Alien Syndrome (Sega Master System)

Challenging but irritating port, with iffy collision detection chief among its many flaws. Still, I stuck with it long enough to map the game out and beat it, which says something. C-.

68. Taiketsu Rumiizu! (3DO)

This odd little Japanese exclusive is basically a descendant of Bomberman, but with streams of water instead of bombs. It makes for an offbeat gameplay mechanic and is worth playing through once, but doesn't have Bomberman's elegance or addictiveness. That said, it plays reasonably well, and looks and sounds good enough. C+.

It took 9 hours and a few savestates to bite through Street Fighter 2010 (3DS) :)

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Rival Schools, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, Trick'n Snowboarder, Power Stone, Dino Crisis, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Plasma Sword, Resident Evil 3, Mega Man V, Street Fighter III & Street Fighter 2010

• Like 1

Hadn't expected to say that again so fast, but after completing Weapon Shop De Omasse (3DS) today, I just have to recommend this to everyone who ever played a fantasy RPG at least once in their life :thumbsup:

Even when you're not doing anything but forging and polishing weapons, it's insanely addictive: I couldn't put it down the last three days until I had finally finished it :D

This week I beat Street Fighter EX2 Plus (PSX) with each of the 20 regular characters and another 2 I unlocked during the process :)

Sidenote: My PS2 fightpad died after the 19th character, so I had to do the final three playthroughs with a standard controller :-o

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Rival Schools, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, Trick'n Snowboarder, Power Stone, Dino Crisis, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Plasma Sword, Resident Evil 3, Mega Man V, Street Fighter III, Street Fighter 2010 & Street Fighter EX2 Plus

• Like 1

Hardball! (Genesis)

One of the most aggravating games I've ever played. And probably more aggravating than it's worth. Being forced to play defense blindfolded essentially breaks the game. The primary challenge in the game is seeing how well you can work around constant fielding errors. One bad play can cost you the whole game. It's a shame, as there is a lot to like about Hardball!, and with one small addition to the gameplay, it would have been a total gem. (4/10)*

*I'm switching over to the 10-point scale outlined in Sega-16's review manifest.

Edited by Christophero Sly
  • Like 1

It took a mere 7 hours to play through Gargoyle's Quest II (3DS).

I must say I was a bit disappointed by it, since compared to the first game it felt almost like a rushed level pack, only with less impressive boss fights...

(Demon's Crest is the real deal here, I hope I can play it on a WiiU sometime next year!! :))

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Rival Schools, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, Trick'n Snowboarder, Power Stone, Dino Crisis, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Plasma Sword, Resident Evil 3, Mega Man V, Street Fighter III, Street Fighter 2010, Street Fighter EX2 Plus & Gargoyle's Quest II

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

44. Pokemon: HeartGold - Nintendo DS

A reboot of my Favorite game in Poke series.. What a jam-packed game! So many things to do, so much nostalgia.. Hit me right in the childhood! Blasted thru the game, in just under 46 hours. That may seem like a long time, but I skipped a lot of content, and focused on the main quest of collecting all 16 badges, beating the Elite 4 twice, and defeating Red.

• Like 1

Roger Clemen's MVP Baseball (Genesis)

Roger Clemen's MVP Baseball makes a lousy first impression, has a relatively steep learning curve, lacks depth, and exhibits some peculiar physics, but underneath all that, there resides a solid game. There are 16-bit baseball games that, objectively, do just about everything better than MVP Baseball, yet, fundamentally, aren't anywhere near as playable and engaging. (5/10)

Edited by Christophero Sly
  • Like 1

The last 3 weeks Power Stone 2 (PSP) kept me busy. I beat it with all 16 characters and also unlocked everything: All collection items, all pages in the secret book and all 133 items.

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Rival Schools, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, Trick'n Snowboarder, Power Stone, Dino Crisis, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Plasma Sword, Resident Evil 3, Mega Man V, Street Fighter III, Street Fighter 2010, Street Fighter EX2 Plus, Gargoyle's Quest II & Power Stone 2

• Like 1