IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2014!

Charlie Cat

45. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - Xbox 360

Although, Reaper of Souls is just an expansion, I did replay the entire game leading up to the expansion..

Used the Crusader class this time.. D3 is a must play!! That said, I wouldn't necessarily pay full price, just for the expansion if you already own a vanilla copy of D3.. I didn't mind double dipping, because I am dumb. :D

• Like 1

I just played through Resident Evil Survivor (PSX) :)

I finished it with an A Rank, but what was odd, the saving at the end didn't work properly. It actually did create a save file, albeit the game does now flag it as "Old Version" and refuses to load it... :ponder:

That's why I'm not aiming for unlocking the rocket launcher now - without saving it is not doable.

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom, Mega Man 6, Breath of Fire III, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Mega Man Legends, Resident Evil 2, Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, Rival Schools, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, Trick'n Snowboarder, Power Stone, Dino Crisis, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Plasma Sword, Resident Evil 3, Mega Man V, Street Fighter III, Street Fighter 2010, Street Fighter EX2 Plus, Gargoyle's Quest II, Power Stone 2 & Resident Evil Survivor

69. King James Bible (Game Boy)

This portable Bible cart includes a pair of garbage minigames. Of these, one is beatable: a bare-bones Concentration game that goes on far too long, and offers no meaningful reward at the end to justify the tedium. F.

70. Marble Madness (Game Boy)

Truly crummy port that omits the last level, cuts many of the game's niftiest features (like smooshing the enemies in the Silly Race), and completely screws up the controls. It doesn't even have an ending! D-.

71. Moving Adventure Psy-O-Blade (Genesis)

My wife and I played through this newly translated Japanese visual novel today, using the latest patch from tryphon and Eien Ni Hen. Technically you could argue that I didn't fully beat it since the current patch only requires you to blow up 2 asteroids instead of 200 in the game's one action sequence, but eh, I don't feel like replaying it just for that.

Pretty nice translation, and the game itself is well-done overall and mostly free of irritations -- though it gets bogged down in a major exposition overload about 3/4 of the way in. In truth, most of it is a bit mindless, but mindless fun is still fun. B+.

47. Metroid II: Return of Samus - Gameboy

So many memories here! This was my 2nd Gameboy game ever.. Finally Beat it 20 years later.. Such a great game, and very under-appreciated as far as Metroid games go.. Personally, I prefer this to Super Metroid.

48. Metroid Zero Mission - Gameboy Advance

This is a remake done RIGHT!! So much better than the original IMO.. Controls felt sooo good.... Perhaps my new favorite Metroid game..

Onward to try and finish Super Metroid, and perhaps follow it up with Fusion before the year is up.

• Like 1

Ratchet and Clank (PS2)

This one caught me by complete surprise. I had it in my head that this was just another conventional and derivative 3-D collect-a-thon mascot-character platformer--a genre I've never cared for--but Ratchet and Clank turned out to be an incredible experience, and nothing like I expected. There are so many positive things I could say about this game that I really don't even no where to begin. However, if I were given the opportunity to highlight only one of those positives, it would be the game's level design. Masterful stuff. The game puts on an absolute clinic in that regard. The game's only negative is a camera that develops a mind of it's own in certain situations.

Ratchet and Clank is an outstanding game; the best I've played on the PS2. (9/10)

Triple Play '96 (Genesis)

The game tries very hard to look the part of a AAA game, but the gameplay is, frankly, defective. The game is riddled with fundamental design flaws and there are holes in its AI large enough to drive a truck through. (3/10)

• Like 2

Onimusha: Warlords (PS2)

I've tried to get into this game--I don't know--probably a half-a-dozen times over the last decade, each time making it up to about the first boss fight before the ineffectual narrative, lousy dub, and obstinate "tank-style" controls finally convince me that I'm wasting my time.

I don't know what motivated me to give this game yet another go, but I'm glad I did. Making it to that first boss fight again, I decided I was going to power through it, no matter what, and see what lay on the other side. It took several attempts, but in the course of those attempts, I was finally able to get a handle on the tank-style controls, and I realized that the problems I was having with them were the result of me simply over-thinking things--Ninja Gaiden this is not. Actually, once I got used to the tank-style controls--shock of shocks--I actually grew to enjoy them and never struggled with them again. In fact, I don't think this game would work anywhere near as well as it does with a different control scheme.

After that first boss fight, the atmosphere and aesthetics of the game began to pull me in almost immediately. This is a wonderfully immersive game. I'm really impressed that the game was able to take the stale and tired formulaics of old-school survival horror--tank controls, item gathering, health rationing, backtracking, etc.--and make them feel completely fresh for me. The game is remarkably well-constructed, the difficulty is well-balanced, and the pacing is almost perfect.

Unfortunately, the narrative, while it does get a little more interesting, remains rather flimsy throughout. However, I think a lot of that has to do with what I suspect is a sparse and deficient translation, as well as an obviously lousy english dub.

Anyway, great game. Looking forward to the sequel. (8/10)

Edited by Christophero Sly
  • Like 1

50. Resistance: Burning Skies - PS Vita

What is probably the last game I will beat this year, most likely..

Fun game! Albeit, a bit on the easy side. Controls take a bit to get used to because of the touch screen controls, but overall they are pretty good. Story was pretty forgettable but not horrible.. Game like this doesn't need much of a story as long as the shooting is fun.. And it was fun enough.

Glad I played this! But even more glad that it only cost me 8 bucks..

72. Transylvania (Atari 8-bit)

73. Adventure in the 5th Dimension (Atari 8-bit)
74. Adventure in Time (Atari 8-bit)
All text adventures I beat with my wife. It feels silly to give them grades, particularly since Adventure in the 5th Dimension is a magazine type-in game, but Transylvania is certainly the most polished and has the benefit of graphics as well. All three suffer at times from parser shortcomings, especially Adventure in Time which doesn't seem to accept most abbreviations.
75. Virtua Tennis (Dreamcast)
A few weeks ago I was able to 1CC the game's Arcade mode on Normal and Very Hard, including the bonus match against Master (which unlocks him if you win). Then I beat World Circuit mode using Jim Courier by winning all the matches, including the final doubles match against Master and King (which unlocks King if you win), and clearing the training minigames on all three tiers. I also unlocked all the purchasable players and venues, and bought all the available clothing, though I haven't unlocked the eight bonus/novelty outfits that you get by playing the minigames to perfection; since one of them requires a perfect score in the bowling mini-game, I'm not so interested in spending my time on that.
I used to loathe this franchise, based on my experiences with Tennis 2K2 (aka Virtua Tennis 2), which seemed to me to embody many of my least-favorite traits in a tennis game: every shot's a highlight-reel shot, the CPU can return overhead smashes with lobs that almost always land perfectly on the baseline, unforced errors are almost nonexistent, etc. But while I still think it's wildly overrated, over time I came to appreciate some things about it. For example, court positioning is key, especially in doubles matches where tactical awareness is literally the difference between winning and losing; firing a volley right through the gap between your opponents is a satisfying feeling.
Also, one of my biggest problems with Tennis 2K2 was that I couldn't figure out the serving -- trying to direct my serve in any way seemed to result in a fault -- so I'm curious as to whether my experience with Virtua Tennis will change that. After struggling at first, I was able to get the hang of it pretty well.
OTOH there are some things about Virtua Tennis that don't make much sense. It relentlessly punishes you for hitting crosscourt unless you can put away a winner, so that forces you to constantly hit down the line -- but in real tennis, hitting down the line is a risky, low-margin shot that looks flashy but often results in errors. So that warps the tactical grid of the game somewhat. I also don't love the camera, which occasionally zooms in too close and makes it impossible to gauge the ball's trajectory. And some things about the game are unclear or poorly documented: five different shops offer replacement strings and recovery drinks at different prices, but there's no way to tell if you benefit from buying the more expensive stuff.
In any event, I can ultimately scrape a B for the game, which surprises me. I still can't stand those pinpoint reflex lobs, though.

Battleship (Gameboy)

Simple "Battleship" with a campaign mode and extra weapons. 48 levels, then you're through. It was a war of attrition to finish this one, though. I often felt that the computer opponent cheated in a way that it's always as close a result as possible. I wouldn't have bothered with playing through if I wouldn't have had it with me on the bus to and from work several times - so I was into it quite far already. Now over the holidays, I thought "What the hell"... My vote: nice enough to kill 10 minutes in the bus now and then. But that's all there is to it. D.

Tomb Raider (PS 4)

Demolition Man (3DO)

Who Shot Johnny Rock? (CDi)

Star Fox (SNES)

Super Mario Bros 2 (Japanese FDS version on the WiiU Virtual Console)

Mighty Final Fight (WiiU NES virtual console)

Lethal Enforcers II (Playstation)

Maximum Force (Playstation)

Final Fantasy 1 (GBA)

• Like 1

My progress had really slowed down as I kept playing longer games that take a great deal of time to beat. I have been working on Final Fantasy VII and Suikoden II ever since I finished Suikoden. Over the last couple weekends I decided to play more of the games I never finished from around when I first started gaming. In the process I beat these games according to the rules NintendoAge members set as qualifications to consider the games as beaten (since these ones have no end.):

38. Duck Hunt - NES
39. R.C. Pro-Am - NES

The qualifications listed for Duck Hunt are to "beat the high score in all 3 modes: 1 Duck, 2 Ducks and Clay Shooting" I didn't just do that because honestly that just means beat level 1 without missing any of the targets. Instead, I got pretty far. In 1 duck mode I made it to the point where you are not allowed to miss any ducks. Somewhere in the level 20's. In the other modes I didn't do quite as well but I still got pretty far.

The qualification for beating R.C. Pro-Am is to get past level 24 as the game repeats all of its levels starting on 25. I made it to level 26 or 27. Level 24 was really interesting because it is a long track of endurance with 9 laps, no powerups and no obstacles. If you ever make it here, you would be best to have really stocked up on ammo. Around 50-60 pieces of it if you want to be sure to win. The other vehicles use speed boosts that you can't use and running into walls can give them a chance to catch up.

• Like 3