IGNORED

KC Munchkin

Jaynz

Sound! (As close as I could get it). Believe it or not, there are notes that the O2 can do that the TIA can't! I ended up having to use a distortion for KC's movement sound because the other sounds don't go as low as needed.

*NOTE* - some versions of ProSystem don't play the 'KC Movement' or the monster drone sound. I don't know why. MESS does though. :)

Also re-worked the maze data, it's no longer hard-coded. All 4 mazes are in, I have them random at the moment.

Now I need to do:

- Select screen

- Maze editor

The program is at 32K right now (I haven't looked at how much ROM I have open yet). If the editor pushes it past that, there may have to be a separate cart for Crazy Chase. But at least it can build upon this code (Hopefully you'll be up to it Jaynz?) :)

It's amazing that they got all of this in 2K

KC.A78

KC.bin

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 4

I've been meaning to post this sooner, but now with sound it makes the need even more apparent.

Thanks to both Jayzn and Bob for bringing attention and life to this game for the 7800. My first console was a 2600 and computer a Vic-20*. I also never knew anyone that had an O2 (Pre-internet), and quite frankly, had no interest in it.

*cough*Cosmic Cruncher*cough*

From the screenshots, I'm thinking it's (literally) a "baby" Pac-Man wannabe but I am always glad to see any development for the console.

How wrong I was. This game is deceivingly challenging, fun, and addictive. I cannot state whether the gameplay is as good or worse on the O2, but what Bob is doing (Unsurprisingly so) again is delivering another excellent title to the 7800 console. Already the game plays great and I get a Mouse Trap-ish/Pac-Man-ish vibe, but in no way, shape, or form a wannabe. The difference is more like a Dig-Dug to Mr. Do! for me; two very similar yet also very different, great games.

So looking forward to the final version and cart...Bravo!

• Like 3

Sound! (As close as I could get it). Believe it or not, there are notes that the O2 can do that the TIA can't! I ended up having to use a distortion for KC's movement sound because the other sounds don't go as low as needed.

Try some of the Super Pac-Man sounds instead. I think this is one bit where we can 'cheat' a little for the 7800.

*NOTE* - some versions of ProSystem don't play the 'KC Movement' or the monster drone sound. I don't know why. MESS does though. :)

Probably falls out of range. Mine doesn't do it either, sadly. That's definitely something to check on in hardware before a press run...

Also re-worked the maze data, it's no longer hard-coded. All 4 mazes are in, I have them random at the moment.

A pleasant, and honest surprise. I had already gotten used to the static screen. "Crap, I can't go that way" was a bit surprising. :)

The program is at 32K right now (I haven't looked at how much ROM I have open yet). If the editor pushes it past that, there may have to be a separate cart for Crazy Chase. But at least it can build upon this code (Hopefully you'll be up to it Jaynz?) :)

Going to be tricky. I thought both games would be small enough to fit on a 7800 cart... but if we're up to 32K already, how the heck are we going to add in VOICE for Crazy Chase?!

I would really have to see what hardware cheats they used in the O2 to get that down to 2K. I imagine a lot of it has to do with the built-in graphics capabilities and how they handle character-based tiles. (A lot of the O2 game-boards look alike for this reason). I think a lot of the RAM here has gone to rewriting what the O2 already had in rom. :S

Hey Jaynz:

I actually did the sound for Super Pac-Man... I unfortunately don't see how using that is going to help get a lower tone :( I think I actually got the sounds as close as I'm going to get them in this case; thankfully the sounds for this game are fairly simple.

Regarding the sounds that don't play on ProSystem, I actually had this issue with Scramble as well (again the drone sound in the background). It did play on the real thing though. I will of course double check this however. :)

I just looked at the available ROM that's left at this point. I am using about 14K out of the 32K available. It's actually not that bad, we can take 4K away because the O2 has a built-in character set, which leaves about 10K against their 2K. We'll see after I put the maze editor in. ;)

Thanks for the kind words, Trebor. My best friend had the O2 growing up so we played that when we were at his house and the 2600 when we were at mine. :)

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

Awesome work, PacManPlus!! My older cousin, who lived next door to me through the woods, had an Odyssey 2 and KC Munchkin. I wanted to buy an O2 just like him, but, fortunately, he persuaded my father and me (I was probably just 5 or 6) that the Atari 2600 was the way to go. This was probably the best advice I ever received. But, yeah... personal stories aside, thanks so much for this sweet port of the quirky little Pac-Mac clone that aspired to and achieved so much more.

I actually did the sound for Super Pac-Man... I unfortunately don't see how using that is going to help get a lower tone :(

Comparing your Super Pac with KC Munchkin on YouTube, I thought the 'energized' sound on Super Pac would work well as a replacement. It already sounds very similar, and we know the routine works.

Regarding the sounds that don't play on ProSystem, I actually had this issue with Scramble as well (again the drone sound in the background). It did play on the real thing though. I will of course double check this however. :)

It's got to be something to do with cycling. It's just losing the data in the emulator somehow. Not sure which way the glitch really is, though, if it's a fault with Prosystem, or something documented askew... I know the A2600 could be very strange if you go out of spec.

I just looked at the available ROM that's left at this point. I am using about 14K out of the 32K available. It's actually not that bad, we can take 4K away because the O2 has a built-in character set, which leaves about 10K against their 2K. We'll see after I put the maze editor in. ;)

Looks to be okay, and looking at Crazy Chase, it may fit in pretty well - though again the voice is going to be an issue.

Other thoughts, since this an A7800 game, we should have a title screen. Also, a 'game over' and 'ready! go' moment would help with the flow dramatically.

I just played the rom for the first time, and all I can say is wow! You actually re-created KC Munchkin on the 7800. I have the original Odyssey 2 version, and except for the updated graphics, the 7800 game looks and plays similar to the Odyssey 2 version. I also have the ROM for KC Munchkin, and it is 4k, not 2k, so what is all this talk about KC being 2k?

Crazy Chase Thoughts

Mostly same sounds as Munchkin

Same interface as Munchkin

5 Mazes from 'select', plus maze editor. Does not have rotating cage.

Dratapillar: tries to chase KC. Tail acts like energizers. Head is always lethal.

Drats: chases KC. Turn white when KC energized, go in 'spin' when eaten but not destroyed.

Trees: grow in play, slow down KC and Dratapillar when eaten.

"Oh no!" voice when dying.

Laughter voice followed by "Incredible" when screen cleared.

"Go!" at start of level.

If there's room, put voice in KC Munchkin as well at the same places?

• Like 1

Title screen.

This is what I have so far, although the maze editor doesn't do anything at the moment.

The letters at the bottom are

1 to 4 - load in maze number to start

P - 'Play' maze

M - back to selection Menu

Another bonus- if you select 'EDITOR' and hit 'Reset', it goes right to play the last maze edited. Pressing the joystick button goes into the editor itself.

KC.A78

KC.bin

• Like 5

I am new to the K C Munckin game and i have been playing the one Rob is making...one question.. is one life all you get in this game???

Yep, which was pretty common in O2 games - due partially to its extremely limited resources, and also a little due to their not quite getting arcade-style play.

Yep, which was pretty common in O2 games - due partially to its extremely limited resources, and also a little due to their not quite getting arcade-style play.

I don't think it had anything to do with resources..

A life counter shouldn't take up too many resources??

I think it was more your second point.

Virtually all of the original games were written by the same person (Ed Averett), and he didn't get that games should have more than one life. :-)

desiv

(You can think of Ed as the PacManPlus of his system.. ;-) )

Edited by desiv

According to Ed, pretty good interview here: http://www.dadgum.com/halcyon/BOOK/AVERETT.HTM

"...all the code was assembly language and all graphic characters were designed by hand in binary."

Another interesting point concerning O2 games and development:

"The 2K ROM games all took about two months and the 4K ROM games took about four months to design. I was able to carry over about 60% of the code structure from one game to the next: things like scoring, collision detection, etc"

Just trying to learn a little about the history and background of a system that I really know not a thing about...Just thought I would share :)

• Like 1

Resources and time actually were an issue: once the Odyssey 2 was released, Magnavox wanted to drop it immediatly. So most of the games were programmed by Ed Averett, some of them are really good (especially the 4K games). There were also games programmed by other people, such as the excellent Killer Bees! programmed by Robert S. Harris. As for arcade ports, they were usually pretty bad: Popeye, Frogger, Demon Attack, Turtles and Q*bert were released for the system, and I think the only game worth playing is Turtles. In contrast, most of the rip-offs are actually pretty good, even if Alien Invaders-Plus! looks like a terrible clone of Space Invaders.

Resources and time actually were an issue:

I'm not saying resources and time weren't an issue in general for coding..

I just don't see resources and time being an issue in changing the game from "ending when you die once" to "ending when you die 3 times."

That seems like MUCH more of a design decision and not a technical/time restraint.

desiv

That seems like MUCH more of a design decision and not a technical/time restraint.

Only in isolation. Note that a lot of O2 games also lack intros, outros, or even 'mode states' that are common to other games. In KC Munchkin you are almost ALWAYS playing, with no real demarcation of when one game ends or another begins ASIDE from that one life. You can enter your 'high score name' at ANY TIME, after all, not just when the game's finished.

• Like 1